Where are all the non-native speakers?

Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:14 pm GMT
for it's read its in the last but two line.
H   Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:36 am GMT
Am I so inarticulate?
I am not interested in medicine. I just wondered what word people use when they, say, cut their finger and need _that thing_. So they just say “Give me the antiseptic”?
Russian speakers say, “Give me [ze`lyonku/yod]”.
Thank you, Damian.
K. T.   Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:01 pm GMT
No, not inarticulate.

Could you get me something for this? (cut)
Do you have any kind of antiseptic?
Do you have anything for a cut?
Whaddya have to clean this up? None of that old red stuff.
Think I need to get a tetanus shot?
K. T.   Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:02 pm GMT
Yod?

That reminds me of Iodine.
Radovan Karadzic   Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:06 pm GMT
иод = iodine
K. T.   Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:58 am GMT
Hmmm. Thank-you, that makes sense.
H   Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:30 am GMT
Oh well, I see – people do not name it. Full stop on that.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
English person   Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:50 pm GMT
My girlfriend refuses to have a tetanus injection because she's afraid of the injections.
K. T.   Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:28 pm GMT
I'm not suggesting that everyone who gets a scrape needs a tetanus injection, but most people should probably have some first aid supplies on hand (and I would include antiseptic). It depends on the situation.
Uriel   Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:55 am GMT
I would say that the common antiseptics people keep around their medicine cabinets in the US are rubbing alcohol (methanol, the kind you can't -- or at least, shouldn't -- drink) and hydrogen peroxide. Iodine would be another one, although I've never kept any around. Soaps often have antibacterial ingredients these days, like triclosan, and antibacterial ointments like Neosporin are pretty standard in any household. But nurses will still always tell you that plain old soap and water is usually your best bet.
Travis   Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:00 am GMT
Actually, rubbing alcohol is not methanol (which is very toxic) but rather isopropanol (which is somewhat more toxic than ethanol but nowhere near as toxic as methanol).
K. T.   Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:52 am GMT
When it comes to chemicals or medications, I always want to know why someone needs to know-is it to make a dialogue in an English book, for medical care, for translating, or for another reason.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:52 am GMT
It's widely known that alcohol (ethanol) is quite an effective antiseptic - it's contained in many cleansing/sterlisation agents, among others, including mouthwash.

Swallow enough of this before you get into your car to drive to work in the morning and you will surely do something stupid and subsequently fail a police officer's breathalyser test - your mouth and gullet may be feel fresh and tingly but your driving licence won't appreciate it.

It's the festive season - in the UK the worst time of the year for alcohol fuelled road accidents. If you are driving - DO NOT DRINK.
K. T.   Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:48 pm GMT
Thank-you for that PUBlic service announcement.