british or american english?

Jason   Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:23 am GMT
Dear Uriel and Candy,

With regard to <<All right, forget those British chicks, just come to New Mexico, already! ;)>>

and

<<Hmm. You know, Jason, why not give New Mexico a miss? Düsseldorf is really nice this time of year! (Actually it isn't, but we can pretend...:)>>

Last year I was on a train from Franfurt to Amsterdam (I stopped in Koln for a few hours, left my bags at the luggage check, and did a brief tour of the city). The train from Koln to Amsterdam stopped in Dusseldorf. Had I known then...

I also hear New Mexico is nice and sunny (although it can get a bit on the warm side during the summer).

I am extremely flattered that by your kind offers and I will think about it. I just have to be very careful how I go about it so as not to come across as a scumbag.

Again, it's nice to see that some women still appreciate a charming gentleman.
Uriel   Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:15 am GMT
Yeah, don't come in the summer.... ;)
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:23 am GMT
***Is Estuary really that bad? ***

Aye....pretty much.
güselllll   Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:37 pm GMT
:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo
Guest   Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:35 pm GMT
>***Is Estuary really that bad? ***

Aye....pretty much. <

You sad Scot Damian. You people in the North have nothing to do but to whine about us English people.

Where is the love?

BTW- May I have a Scot on the rocks with a twist of lime?
rbrb   Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:31 am GMT
i bet people love to leaaarn how to speak like the brits do. but for me. we are more exposed to the american english than the brit english. american english is used more in the classrooms and conversations than that of the brit english.
Damian in Britland   Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:21 am GMT
brb:

End of term report:

Good English.....sort of.....minging punctuation...could do a wee bit better. Ask one of your American friends in here to put you right.
Larissa   Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:37 pm GMT
What's the American words for "armchair" and "reading lamp?" Thank you
no name   Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:14 pm GMT
"Cuturally too, it's easier to be an American than and Englishman. There is a lot more tradition and education involved in becoming an Englishman. "

Very true. Tell it to Americans and many of them will get pissed off.
no name   Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:23 pm GMT
"If American English is more widely spoken all over the world"

Pete,
I don't agree with you .
American English is only spoken in the USA, not "widely". In Europe for exemple, people are thought British English more often then American English.
Where is Austalia or NZ American English in spoken? Where is India or other asian countries did you hear it?
In Japan i know they hire American natives, but that's the only country that I know of it taht does that.
It's true that you might hear American Elnglish, of course ..spoken by the tourists....

'
crystal miles   Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:45 pm GMT
fuck you bitch
Ed   Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:36 pm GMT
> Is Estuary really that bad?

Yes, it is a hideous dialect, so named because it is as clear as mud and flows out of a wide mouth.
Rob   Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:00 am GMT
Mexican Spanish is quite straightforward when it comes to saying concrete phrases, and it is also more informal. Spaniard Spanish has been abbreviated several times, and the result is Mexican Spanish. Instead of saying "Vuestra merced" in Spaniard Spanish, Mexicans turned it into "Usted", and it is now the usual way in Mexico. Spaniards use long long phrases to say simple things, and Mexicans sometimes use a single word in the same context.

Spaniard: "Pero que mira que yo creo que deberíamos tomarlo en cuenta."

Mexican: "Deberíamos considerarlo."

The culture is different.
Jamie   Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:18 pm GMT
I'm from the United States and I am not quite sure I understand. Doesn't an accent come to you when you live a certain place, like it is acquired? Such as, if you move to a certain place your accent or dialect evolves to the area's? We'll, I'd appreaciate it if someone would replie, because I am officially confused. I have actually thought though, that "American English" was always actually a bit superficial, ignorant, and poser-ish, and i was born here. I don't know if that made any bit of sense at all, but i'd appreciate it if someone would reply. People don't actually get beat up for having a certain accent there do they? It's never really a situation if someone talks differently in the United States.
Jim C, York   Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:26 am GMT
< Is Estuary really that bad?

Yes, it is a hideous dialect, so named because it is as clear as mud and flows out of a wide mouth>

Love it, thats the best description ive heard in ages!.

Jamie,
People don't get beaten up for having certain accents, (well anymore) You just get funny looks when you go into pubs. Though you can still shoot a Scotsman with a longbow within the city walls of York after midnight.

<You sad Scot Damian. You people in the North have nothing to do but to whine about us English people.>

No, no guest the rest of us English hate your accent aswell!
So much so that we in Yorkshire have a "plan B", One day soon, You'll hear "On Ikla Moor baht ’at" being sung, getting quieter and quieter as we float off into the north sea.
Here's an artists rendition of how it will look.
http://www.yhassembly.gov.uk/p_contentImages/9_1.jpg