A stupid question, help.

Pete   Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:06 pm GMT
<<Blow it out your rim, ya brown noser!>>

What's the meaning of that, please?
Paul N.   Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:20 pm GMT
Pete, so you’re still curious to know what that means! So am I!

As a non-native speaker of English I was also guessing what could be the meaning of this strange phrase. I’ve struggled to decipher it. I don’t know if I succeeded.

Anyway, I think the phrase is offensive, rude and shows a lack of respect. It is probably somehow close to 'blow it out your ass', which is also offensive. For example, this 'blow it out your ass' may precede a fist fight (I guess so). You want to threaten your enemy (the other party) by saying this in order to force your point. Consequently, the enemy already knows that you will use your fists immediately unless your point is accepted.

'Blow it out your rim'— ‘Rim’ in a vulgar slang means to perform anilingus on. However, I have also thought of the other meaning for ‘Rim’ in this context. This would involve using it when the other party (your enemy) happens to be too intellectual, someone who shows off with his knowledge too much. This ‘rim’ as in a glass-rim may imply someone wearing glasses. Someone whose eye-sight is not so sharp as it once was because of reading a lot. Now he needs these glasses just to see the printed matters, better. And of course to look more intellectual and be more showy in a way.

'ya brown noser' -- it only stresses the offensiveness of the phrase. Meaning the enemy (the other party) has some troubles with his nose in a way sometimes little kids do. Some mums have to wipe off their kids’ noses very often.

Obviously, my interpretation may be very far from the truth. Therefore we both may need some help from the natives.

Paul N.
Terry   Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:20 pm GMT
Pete, I think Paul N's interpretations of "blow it out your rim" are probably good, certainly thorough ,but I don't know it's meaning myself.

I do know what "brown-noser" means. It's a derogatory term, meaning panderer. It's used to describe someone who "kisses people's asses," therefore the "brown nose." :) Not a pleasant thought and surely an insult. It's often used by co-workers to describe someone who "kisses up to" the boss, as in, "What a brown-noser that jerk is." A less crass but equally insulting term would be toady.

The "ya" is an uneducated term for you.

BTW, Pete, your English is excellent. I would never know by reading your posts that it wasn't your first language. I thought you were English.
Terry   Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:28 pm GMT
Here's my dictionary's definiton of toady, which may help you out further.

"A servile flatterer, sycophant, especially one who does distasteful or unprincipled things in order to gain favor."

Now I think you know all there is to know about brown-nosing and then some.
Tiffany   Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:52 pm GMT
The phrase is rude, offensive, telling you* that he thinks whatever you said is crap and calling you a sycophant. The actual meaning is not important, since the person saying this just means to be rude, offensive about whatever was said and call you a sycophant.

*You in general. No clue if it was said to you or you read it somewhere.
Guest   Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:10 pm GMT
<<Pete: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:24 am GMT
They can fuck themselves... Déjà vu... I knew this shit was gonna happen. You can fuck YOU! you worthless wanker. I don't need to f*ck myself.>>
http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t1229-0.htm

What does "Déjà vu" mean?
Tiffany   Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:14 pm GMT
The feeling that something you already witnessed before is happening again.
Pete   Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:02 am GMT
<<Obviously, my interpretation may be very far from the truth. Therefore we both may need some help from the natives.>>

Possibly, thanks for your help anyway, mate.

<<BTW, Pete, your English is excellent. I would never know by reading your posts that it wasn't your first language. I thought you were English.>>

Oh, Thank you very much. I had to work a lot on my English. And thanks a lot for the compliment, but I cannot possibly be English, I keep makig crappy grammatical mistakes. I'm Peruvian. And as someone else said, becoming an Englishman is much more than an accent, it's a matter of tradition and culture. I think I better stay as a Peruvian with a great English, that a dull Englishman-wannabe bloke. hehehe.

<<The phrase is rude, offensive, telling you* that he thinks whatever you said is crap and calling you a sycophant. The actual meaning is not important, since the person saying this just means to be rude, offensive about whatever was said and call you a sycophant.

*You in general. No clue if it was said to you or you read it somewhere.>>

Wow, that is really offensive. Remember the post "What's this accent like?". I made that one, there was a recording of my speech, and I asked people to post their opinions about my accent, what did it sound like, and what I needed to improve. And then, someone called "Guest", posted that quite offensive and ignorant phrase. I still don't understand why. Perhaps, my English is better than his. ;) :) :| :( :|

<<What does "Déjà vu" mean?>>

"déjà vu" means in French "I've allready seen" or something like that. It's a phrase you say, when you feel that something has happened before or you are living a situation which seems to be exactly the same as something that you supposedly lived before (like in a former life).
Terry   Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:43 am GMT
<<Thank you very much. I had to work a lot on my English. And thanks a lot for the compliment, but I cannot possibly be English, I keep making crappy grammatical mistakes. >>

Garbage, Pete!

I keep making "crappy grammatical mistakes" in English and I'm a US citizen...well... then maybe that explains it. :)

"Crappy grammatical mistakes" NEVER, EVER, makes people of the USA feel bad - so why should they make you feel bad???

If you keep making the same "crappy grammatical mistakes" that most of us English-speaking Americans do - you're just fine! In fact, if you move to the US and keep making those same "crappy grammatical mistakes," you'll fit in ever so much better! :)

Seriously, I find your English excellent. Don't beat yourself up. I only wish that my Spanish or French were more than laughable.

<<And as someone else said, becoming an Englishman is much more than an accent, it's a matter of tradition and culture. I think I better stay as a Peruvian with a great English, than a dull Englishman-wannabe bloke. hehehe. >>

<<a dull Englishman-wannabe bloke. hehehe.>>

The English aren't nearly as "dull" as they lead you to believe... (just trust me on this one.) Many of the English and maybe most, are quite nice in spite of their "snobby" reputation.

Not to flirt, which is a terrible habit of mine, but no one in the world has a better reputation for their, well, *attraction and passion,* than the Latins. That's why your languages are called romantic. There's a reason for this.

Why on earth would you want to become an Englishman?

On the same topic though, how's the old Ralph Fiennes's accent coming along? :)
Pete   Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:11 am GMT
Well, It's been very difficult to find any recording with his voice. Can you tell me of a film where that guy appears or something? I cannot find anything.

And thanks for all that, Terry. Maybe I'll go to the US someday. But I don't intend to be an Englishman. I'm happy as I am. :)
Uriel   Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:27 am GMT
Try "Shakespeare in Love", Pete. Ralphie's all over that one. (Although apparently in real life, the L in his name is inexplicably silent, and the A is long. British people....)
Paul N.   Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:59 am GMT
<<Wow, that is really offensive. Remember the post "What's this accent like?". I made that one, there was a recording of my speech, and I asked people to post their opinions about my accent, what did it sound like, and what I needed to improve. And then, someone called "Guest", posted that quite offensive and ignorant phrase. I still don't understand why. Perhaps, my English is better than his. ;) :) :| :( :| >>

Pete, I don’t think anyone is interested in offending you just because of your fluency in the English language. I think someone calling himself Guest made his appearance for reasons other than those you’re guessing about. I even suspect that he could have been a native speaker of English. Probably the speaker of AE. It was his anger at you because of your fluency in RP which helps you in getting American girls in amorous situations that caused him to go to the board. He decided that posting his offensive phrase would manifest his anger. I imagine that he can’t speak RP as well as you do, even though he is the native speaker. So, he lacks a significant tool with which he would improve his ability to win the girls’ attention (that, however, is his reasoning of this situation). Pete, I personally think it is a good thing, your idea of pursuing of fluency in RP because of the ‘girl factor’. If this boosts your ego, motivates you and proves to be beneficial to your speaking skills you should stick to it for as long as possible. An English learner should constantly seek motivation from various sources in his efforts to master the language fully. And you simply have found your own. That’s a good thing. Pete, but by your ‘craziness’ on RP speech (please forgive my simplistic description) you’ve brought a valid point about which I’m now anxious to learn more. I can’t understand why so many American girls are fascinated by RP or other specifically British forms. I can’t understand why this fascination makes them more receptive. Not that I’d like to follow your steps and replicate your approach. I don’t have to. I don’t have any troubles with girls. Besides, I find that standard American English sounds pleasanter to my ears. I’m just asking out of curiosity. That’s what.

Paul N.
Tiffany   Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:52 pm GMT
Guys, "Guest" was a troll, plain and simple. Stop reading more into than there is.

For the record, I went to an international school here in America... lots of people with foreign accents, including British. Never seduced by any of them.
Laura Braun   Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:19 pm GMT
Tiffany shut up.
Laura Braun   Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:30 pm GMT
Guest is not trol at all. Several weeks ago I have read what Pete wasa written. He is an idiot.