Mostly for US citizens

LL   Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:35 am GMT
For US citizens: Which of these languages are going to be requested within the next four years? You can think of them as "hot" languages if you like. You can choose none, one, some, or all or add another language. I did not include French and Spanish as these are widely spoken and studied. It's not like we can't find speakers of these languages.

a. Russian
b. Mandarin
c. Urdu
d. Gulf Arabic
e. MSA
f. Hebrew
g. Korean

If you are not a US citizen, please tell us what languages you think will be needed in your country.
igloodweller   Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:40 am GMT
I don't know which, but I think you should have added Persian to your list, as it is the language of Iran which has a big influence on the USA's foreign policy. I think there will be need for more speakers of Persian as things are going to intensify, for better or for worse...
LL   Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:02 am GMT
I agree. Persian or Farsi should go on the list.
+/+   Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:56 am GMT
I don't think Arabic, MSA, Korean or Hebrew will be any more important. They're at their peak or beyond.
okos   Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:37 pm GMT
MSA,

What does MSA mean? Why not Arabic? It's one of the most interesting and musical languages! Or as I suppose you're thinking about religion as usual? You are too biased in my view. I'm not Arabic anyway.
Guest   Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:46 pm GMT
MSA= Modern Standard Arabic.
Kroll   Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:34 pm GMT
I think Arabic and Mandarin. because it is spoken in some countries. (Mandarin is spoken in Singapore some countries like Malaysia, etc..)

Korean no. (Only NOth and South korean speak it)

Hebrew no. Israel and Lobbies.

Russian. Before yes but I don't think now.
kaste   Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:58 pm GMT
Hebrew no. Israel and Lobbies.

Are you talking like Hitler? Do you know who he was?
Kroll   Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:48 pm GMT
kaste
Wanna fire rockets and white phosphorus bombs at me?
Kroll   Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:33 am GMT
<<Kroll Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:48 pm GMT
kaste
Wanna fire rockets and white phosphorus bombs at me? >>

This kroll is not me.

I only said that Hebrew is mainly spoken by Israeli people and Lobbis (Hebrews abroad)
Zionist   Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:43 am GMT
The Jews control the whole world, so you should learn the language of your masters.
Skippy   Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:04 pm GMT
The "hot languages" are Chinese and Arabic.

I wouldn't add Persian to the list.
Spot   Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:20 pm GMT
Of course you wouldn't, you're a republican.
Hogworts   Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:55 pm GMT
Republicans would consider Persian more hot wouldn't they, since they'd like to be occupying Iran....
Gi   Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:43 am GMT
<<For US citizens: Which of these languages are going to be requested within the next four years?>>

I don't know about the rest of the country, but according to the 2000 census, in the Los Angeles area 42.2% of the population spoke English, 41.7% Spanish, 2.4% Korean, 2.3% Filipino, 1.7% Armenian, 1.5% Chinese (including Cantonese and Mandarin) and 1.3% Persian as their first language, these are, therefore, the most requested languages for translation and print media. I don't see this changing within the next 4 years.