Is "screwed up" an inappropriate term for a presid

Octo   Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:20 pm GMT
I think it would be awesome if Obama would mix some ebonics phrases into his speeches every now and then, firstly to give the dyed-in-the-wool conservatives a heart-attack, and perhaps to unstigmatize a bit what is an unfairly maligned dialect.
Oh Bama   Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:44 pm GMT
Well, Michele Obama said once in an interview: "I guess I'm the Obama mama." Does that count?
Jasper   Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:10 pm GMT
Caspian, you put forth a notion that I neglected to address. To wit:

"Countries are different, but America and Britain are both English speaking, both '1st world' countries, and have nearly no cultural difference in everyday life."

Excepting the Southern states (which tend to be somewhat more British-like), this notion does not seem to have a basis in reality. In fact, I'd say there's quite a wide gulf between the two cultures of the US and the UK.

(It has been previously suggested on this board that our culture is rather more German-like, but this remains a theory.)
Uriel   Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:44 pm GMT
Well, superficially I think we DO seem very similar. But there are some major underlying differences that we don't even notice until a misunderstanding arises because of alternate interpretations -- largely because they are underlying issues that we never think about or articulate (even to ourselves), because we assumed that they were universal until they were pointed out to us by an outsider. The similarities of language and surface behavior are the basis of culture shock and frustration for many visitors who stay on from either side, as they gradually realize that they are misunderstanding many small social signals and being misinterpreted in turn. That's kind of the real value of a forum like this -- those are the little gems you pick up over the years as you talk to various people from different places.
Jasper   Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:03 pm GMT
Uriel, that's very true. I myself have learned quite a lot on this forum that previously puzzled me. For example, why we Americans are seen as insincere to the Brits, and why British immigrants in America bitch and complain so much, and so on. Those discussions, I might add, were absolutely absorbing—at least to me.

It is a testament to the wisdom of the Moderators that they didn't arbitrarily end those discussions, because I think quite a few misunderstandings were ironed out.
Caspian   Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:11 pm GMT
Uriel, I see your point now. I didn't realise accents didn't define classes over there as they do here.

<< Excepting the Southern states (which tend to be somewhat more British-like), this notion does not seem to have a basis in reality. In fact, I'd say there's quite a wide gulf between the two cultures of the US and the UK.

(It has been previously suggested on this board that our culture is rather more German-like, but this remains a theory.) >>

Well they're rather similar if you compare American and Chinese, for example. I can fly there, book a hotel room, do my weekly shopping and live a pretty normal life without noticing many differences, no?

And no, I assure you I'm not 15...
Jasper   Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:18 pm GMT
". I can fly there, book a hotel room, do my weekly shopping and live a pretty normal life without noticing many differences, no?"

Unfortunately, no. The differences in culture seem to drive the Brits crazy—no joke.

I don't know if you've had the pleasure of meeting Damian from Edinburgh, but he knows of a website of British expatriates, in which the posters share their frustrations with living in America. Some of the objections are British-centric (for example, not being able to find Marmite or double cream), but some of them take on deeper dimensions (for example, America's in-your-face religion in certain parts, or the Americans' intense dislike at dropping by unannounced.)

It's a greater gulf than you might think.
yalz   Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:18 pm GMT
<<Well they're rather similar if you compare American and Chinese, for example. I can fly there, book a hotel room, do my weekly shopping and live a pretty normal life without noticing many differences, no? >>

Yes, you could do that without noticing any differences, because that isn't social, it's the superficial similarity that Jasper was talking about. However, if you were to go partake in a bunch of highly social events and make some close American friends you most certainly would notice the difference.
Uriel   Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:52 am GMT
<<Uriel, I see your point now. I didn't realise accents didn't define classes over there as they do here. >>

To me, that's actually a bizarre concept -- that I could open my mouth and another American would instantly know all about my background and origins. If Jasper or Lazar or I were to strike up a conversation in person, we would be lucky just to place each other by region -- we would have no clue about each other's economic status or childhood home life unless we came out and asked! And given that a lot of individuals have no identifiable regional accents, even placing each other geographically could be iffy.
dadadada   Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:58 am GMT
Uriel, you can often tell people's social status according to their accent. For example, a white guy who talks like Eminem.
Jasper   Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:19 am GMT
↑ I don't know if you can really count that, dada. Eminem purportedly speaks in AAVE, which is the language of a subculture, not mainstream. In any case, Anglo-Americans who speak like Eminem are pretty rare, unless they're code-switching.
Poliglob   Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:55 pm GMT
I have no problem with Obama's saying 'I screwed up' (not in an isolated instance anyway). It at least gives the appearance of being candid, and in American English the expression is informal but not vulgar.

The problem, though, is that Obama screws up often (just consider how many irregularities there were in his appointments alone). If he says, "I screwed up" every time he does so, it will lower the tone of his presidency. Better to switch to a more bland and less memorable statement such as 'I made a mistake'.

[In my opinion the American people "screwed up" when they elected him.]
Poliglob   Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:15 pm GMT
>perhaps Captain Hastings of the Poirot series, played by Hugh Fraser, embodies the stereotype the best.

Yes, I love that guy. If he could get around the native birth requirement, I'd be delighted to vote for Captain Hastings for President (though I'd insist, of course, that he have Poirot around to advise him).

Some may object that Hastings is a fictional character, but I don't consider that an impediment to his being elected. The character of our current politicians is fictional too. :-)
Jasper   Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:11 pm GMT
Poliglob: "[In my opinion the American people "screwed up" when they elected him.]"

Most of the world thinks we "screwed up" when we elected George Bush. I'm not sure we will ever live it down.
Poliglob   Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:02 pm GMT
Yes, they do, but then most of the world's media (and the U.S.'s too) have subjected them to a steady stream of anti-Bush propaganda for eight years. I'm no great admirer of Bush myself, but he did keep our enemies preoccupied and managed to avoid another 9-11 (something that seemed unlikely at the time). Let's see what happens under Obama.