French in Portugal/Brazil

Silas   Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:30 am GMT
Obviously Spanish will never be important in both Portgual and Brazil due to the lack of ideas coming from Spanish speaking countries presence of Spain and Spanish-speaking South America.
CJ   Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:36 am GMT
<< Your posting shows that you have a lot of catch up to do. French is not studied in Brazil because it isn't useful, period!!! That has nothing to do with being educated. Look at Japan for instance, which has the second economy in the world and everybody is obliged to finish at least junior high school:
French isn't learned in schools neither I know anybody who speaks French. >>

For your information before English and Spanish were in Brazil, French was. In case you don't know, a number of Portuguese and Brazilians prefer to speak French in international communications rather than English and especially Spanish. French is required in secondary schools in Portugal and in Brazil(in Amapa state, it is the only required foreign language in high school).

No non-hispanic speak Spanish.
C.J.   Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:44 am GMT
<< Why do people study German and Japanese in Brazil? Do the math: Japan has world's second biggest economy (Brazil is also the country with the biggest number of Japanese-descendant people after Japan) and there are TONS of German companies in Brazil. So why would one bother learning a language that is USELESS in South America, unless you intend to go to French Guyana. >>

You must be ignorant. France has lots of ideas contributed in mathematics far more than Japanese and equals that of German. French companies are investing in Brazil because they cannot ignore the huge market.

Just accept the fact that Spanish is not worthy to be studied since it has no knowledge to share like in science, technology, arts, medicine, space exploration, literature, and a lot more. THE WHOLE WORLD KNOWS THAT!
Spanish reality check   Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:52 am GMT
<< This was interesting. French lovers always claim that French is an important or necessary diplomatic language. Your post here is a good example to the contrary. French is no more important then the other regional languages. English is the only true international language. >>

Since when did you hear 2 non-hispanic diplomats speak Spanish to each other? NEVER I ASSURE YOU.

Don't call French a regional language. Spanish is the one that isn't as important than Chinese or Hindi. French and English are the only true global language as what the English speaking people. It's ironic that Spanish is the "most studied foreign language" in the US and yet American don't call it a global language only French because Americans know that French is more useful.

<< What a bunch or arrogant bullshit. Yes, France has had an important impact in the arts, but that doesn't mean it is the only one or that it is superior to others. I have more than a "basic education" and I've never needed to know French. Students don't need to speak French to understand a painting or artist or to read literature when it is translated. France is not the only country with these things to study, so why would it be more necessary to learn French over others? >>

You're a stinking and rotting shit. Stop sourgraping just because Spanish could not gain influence even in literature. What more in science and technology.
Visitor   Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:55 am GMT
The fucking hispanic dung beetles are insulting the Brazilians saying they are gullible just because they don't learn their stupid language but instead French. This way you pretend to promote Spanish? hahaha.
zutsa   Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:06 am GMT
<< French influence goes well beyond the words "Noel" or "reveillon", and that isn't just in Brazil...
But anyway, having lived in both Brazil and Portugal, I believe French isn't any useful in Brazil: people don't study the language at all (nor its influences) and aren't even that interested in it, plus most of the media entering the country is dubbed.
IMHO, the contact with the French language for the majority of the population is close to 0%, so I'd be very surprise if it helped much... >>

Correction, French is still very much studied in Brazil ahead of English and Spanish(a latecomer). It is required in secondary schools and in Amapa the only foreign language required in High school.

I heard lots of Brazilians speak in French during an international interviews and never in Spanish.

Spanish and even Italian programs are not dubbed because it's intelligible to them while Continental Portuguese is dubbed. Brazilians study Spanish just for 1 purpose, to understand it better not to speak it. Portuguese speakers including Brazilians, modify their accents by pronouncing Port. words the way Spanish and Italian speakers pronounce it. As a result, speakers of the two languages understand Port. much better than when it's spoken with real Port. pronunciation.
J.C.   Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:26 pm GMT
"For your information before English and Spanish were in Brazil, French was."
You said it all!!! French WAS before English and Spanish and I don't think that's going to change.

"In case you don't know, a number of Portuguese and Brazilians prefer to speak French in international communications rather than English and especially Spanish."
Who prefers? I've probably met more Brazilians than you and only know ONE person who speaks French. Even when I was in college French wasn't popular. But seriously, how many Brazilians who speak French do you know?

"French is required in secondary schools in Portugal and in Brazil(in Amapa state, it is the only required foreign language in high school). "

Well, I don't know about the situation in Portugal and that's has already been quoted by Zatsu, who knows Brazil and Portugal well but in Brazil French is no longer studied (At least I had NO French lessons in school but had to study English). As for having it studied in Amapá, that doesn't surprises me since this state has limits with French Guyana, probably the ONLY place in south America where French is used and necessary.

"No non-hispanic speak Spanish."
That's not of my concern since I'm not hispanic and Spanish is not the topic of this thread. However, I never studied or felt the need to study French or Spanish in Brazil.
J.C.   Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:53 pm GMT
"You must be ignorant. France has lots of ideas contributed in mathematics far more than Japanese and equals that of German. French companies are investing in Brazil because they cannot ignore the huge market. "

Why do I have to know about mathematics if I have a degree in Japanese?
Knowing the names "Pascal" and "Descartes" is enough for me since I don't need math in my daily life. Well, at least it won't help me pay my bills.

Despite the contributions of France to the world, why one earth would one have to learn French? French might have contributed in many aspects to the world but it will never get close to Japan.

Which French companies are investing in Brazil? Still, that's not enough to motivate people to study French, unless it's a prerequisite for getting a job.

"Just accept the fact that Spanish is not worthy to be studied since it has no knowledge to share like in science, technology, arts, medicine, space exploration, literature, and a lot more. THE WHOLE WORLD KNOWS THAT!"

As I said before I never felt compelled to study neither French nor Spanish. I only started learning Spanish because I met some COOL Spanish speaking people in Japan, who never tried to impose their culture on me and were ALWAYS very lovely and friendly. As a matter of fact, The best countries I have ever travelled to were Mexico, Argentina and Paraguay.
Xuxa   Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:24 pm GMT
<<"For your information before English and Spanish were in Brazil, French was."
You said it all!!! French WAS before English and Spanish and I don't think that's going to change. >>

Is it true that French lacks the future tense and that is the reason why they always talk about the past ?
Guest   Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:30 pm GMT
France is not specially interested in Brazil. The 3 main foreing investoris in Brazil are:

1. USA
2. Spain
3. Germany

As consequence a Brazilian should learn English , Spanish and German in this order. Coincidentally these are the languages that J.C. speaks so it makes sense. After all he is a Brazilian and knows his country better than a neurotic Francophone.
J.C.   Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:47 pm GMT
"Is it true that French lacks the future tense and that is the reason why they always talk about the past ?"

Actually I was thinking about this and wonder why some French people are so fond of the past and the glorious days of France...
That must be why they have the best museum in the world...
reineke   Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:22 pm GMT
In 2005 Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva passed a law making Spanish a mandatory language option in all public and private high schools as of 2010. "The Spanish language bill languished in Congress for 12 years, because it initially made Spanish compulsory".

French used to be the language of educated elite in Brazil. You will still find people with a soft spot for French, however overall numbers are small.

The majority of people only speak Portuguese. Some 10% of Brazilians are illiterate. In 1992 17% of Brazilians were illiterate. Despite the significant drop in the past 15 years, illiteracy in Brazil is still higher than in most Latin American countries.

Japan's economy is about twice as large as the French economy. The economic weight of French-speaking countries is more than 3/4 that of Japan.

More than 500 French companies are established directly in Brazil.
With regard to direct investment, France is Brazil’s fourth partner(approximately 8 billion euros in 2005).
French reality check   Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:55 pm GMT
I'm glad J.C. can give us some clarity here. The francofanatics keep making assumptions that are not true.

I'm fed up with trying to argue a point with these crazies. I made some points in this thread that only mentioned Brazil, French and English, but the french fanatics respond by talking about spanish and calling me names. I don't understand their way of thinking or logic. What does name calling and spanish bashing have to do with Brazil, French and English???
BTW, I'm not a "dung beatle". I'm from Minnesota and have an Irish-German background you presumptious frogs!

When people can't argue without diverting the topic and insulting, then they prove that they have lost the argument, are in denial and are too narrow minded.
Clock   Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:08 pm GMT
Once again, I open a civilized thread and it's highjacked by hispanics who degenrate it and turn it into a mess!!!

I already said in the begining of the thread, if you are hispanic and you hate French, then please DON'T REPLY!!!

Why do you always ruin discussions and start insulting people?

GOD DAMN IT, STAY OUT OF MY THREAD!!!
Silas   Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:15 pm GMT
"BTW, I'm not a "dung beatle". I'm from Minnesota and have an Irish-German background you presumptious frogs!"

Go back to eating your "Freedom Fries" you fucking hick, obese, American piece of shit... the entire state of Minnesota was under New France before it was sold to you assholes.