English and romance languages extremely similar?

Mason   Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:13 pm GMT
LOL greg's full of shit
Leasnam   Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:40 pm GMT
<<Et d'ailleurs An <rinse> est encore (et toujours !) un emprunt au français.
>>

No.

Middle English forms for "rinse" were 'rinsen', 'rensen', 'rinshen', 'rincen' where only the rarest and/or latest form shows the French form 'rincer'. The earliest forms clearly show the same Norse form which gave rise to the parallel French form: 'hreinsa' ("rinsen", "rensen")

The english word is therefore either solely from ON hreinsa through ME rensen/rinsen OR is a conflation between the ON and French words.
greg   Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:24 pm GMT
Buddy : « those etymologies above are all accepted etymologies ».

Acceptées ? Par qui ?

Buddy : « do you dispute them? ».

Bien sûr !

Leasnam : « No. »

Si !
Etymonline : http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=rinse&searchmode=none .
CID   Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:25 am GMT
<<Si !
Etymonline : http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=rinse&searchmode=none . >>

LOL you give ONE source--you're no linguist for sure!

<<1338, from O.Fr. rincier, perhaps a dissimilated form of recincier "cleanse," from V.L. *recentiare "renew, refresh," from L.L. recentare "to make fresh," from L. recens (gen. recentis) "fresh." The noun is attested from 1837. >>

This is the same old crappy etymology mentioned by someone above. Look here "PERHAPS a DISSIMILATED form" --2 words signifying uncertainty! "*RECENTIARE" --where is the proof of this phoney word? LOL

I'm beginning to think you're not even a Frenchman greg, but an American Frncophone LOL!
CID   Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:19 am GMT
Oh greg,
Here is the Etymology of "rincer" as given by the Acamedie Français--I think they have the ultimate authority regarding THEIR own words

http://books.google.com/books?id=TvENAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA1-PA342&dq=a+blachet

rime & rimer are on the same page : )

and here is the etymology for "toucher", the other germanic word!

http://books.google.com/books?id=TvENAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA1-PA387&dq=a+blachet
greg   Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:55 am GMT
CID : « Here is the Etymology of "rincer" as given by the Acamedie Français--I think they have the ultimate authority regarding THEIR own words ».

Une info pour ta gouverne : l'Académie est l'instance francophone la **MOINS*** compétente qui soit en matière d'étymologie française ! C'est une assemblée de fossiles cacochymes dont le "niveau" scientifique est proche de zéro. Je ne suis même pas certain que les "académiciens" soient qualifiés pour parler ne serait-ce que de grammaire... Quand on voit que cette réunion de vieillards dépassés comprend des "talents" tels que Hélène Carrère d'Encausse ou Valéry Giscard d'Estaing (mdr !), le doute n'est plus permis : le doute est obligatoire...

Et bien sûr l'Académie n'a ***AUCUNE*** autorité sur les mots qui sont les ***NÔTRES*** et non pas les leurs exclusivement, comme tu le confessais naïvement.

CID : « Look here "PERHAPS a DISSIMILATED form" --2 words signifying uncertainty! "*RECENTIARE" --where is the proof of this phoney word? LOL ».

Qu'il est mignon ! La probabilité porte non sur le caractère français de l'étymon adopté par l'anglais, mais sur les phénomènes dissimilatoires qui relient <rincier> à <recincier>, au sein de l'ancien français. Apprend à lire...
greg   Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:58 am GMT
Au passage : ce n'est pas *<Acamedie Français> mais <Académie française> → majuscule obligatoire pour le premier mot, minuscule obligatoire pour le second.
Fred   Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:21 am GMT
Ah yes, good old greg up to his old tricks as usual, rebelliously in French of course.

Lancastrian Adam and he would make a good couple with their complementing styles of sarcasm, condescension and chauvinism.

Mr Know-it-all normally claims he knows best, but he's gone one better this time. Now the franchouillard is the authority on l'Académie française.

Could this dissident outcast get any haughtier?
Damian - Edimbourg   Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:42 pm GMT
Salut!

Isn't Greg one fantastic guy! I like him almost as much as I do the wonderfully Gallic Nicolas Sarkozy!

I really do enjoy the challenge of translating all of mon cher M Greg's posts into God's own Language! ;-)
Guest   Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:40 pm GMT
Sarkozy is hardly Gallic. He is of Hungarian and Sephardim origin.
Invité d'honneur   Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:07 pm GMT
Fred: <<Now the franchouillard is the authority on l'Académie française.>>

Greg is absolutely right when he says that l'Académie française isn't scientific. They promot a dogmatic vision of the French language as the pillar of France's construction, identity and unity. As such, French is considered «clear and pure» and it can be the only language of France. Any attempt to recognize the mere existence of any other languages spoken on the French territory is denounced as a threat to France's integrity. Such an ideological vision is incompatible with the slighest, vague attempt to a «démarche scientifique» by definition. They are in a complete denial of history, claiming, for instance, that in the middle ages, the various dialects of Oil and Oc were not distinct but, on the contrary, constitutive of the French language.
But, of course, you are free to trust them.
disGus   Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:15 pm GMT
<<Greg is absolutely right when he says that l'Académie française isn't scientific>>

And you and greg, with all your raw passion and emotionalism ARE? Look, I don't disagree that they may have their faults, but as 'touching' (<Gmc) their etymologies it doesn't interfere. You have to spare the baby in spite of the bathwater.

I'm sick of people who want to undermine the credibility of others based on a few points they are unhappy with them about. GOT OVER IT. And grow the hell up
Anita la fantástica   Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:20 pm GMT
As such, French is considered «clear and pure» and it can be the only language of France. Any attempt to recognize the mere existence of any other languages spoken on the French territory is denounced as a threat to France's integrity.

Bullshit. L'Acadèmie Française as its name suggests, cares of French only. Why should they recognize other languages spoken in France? That's not their business.
greg   Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:28 pm GMT
Invité d'honneur : « They are in a complete denial of history, claiming, for instance, that in the middle ages, the various dialects of Oil and Oc were not distinct but, on the contrary, constitutive of the French language. »

J'espère que leur sénilité ne va pas quand même pas jusque là...
greg   Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:31 pm GMT
Damian - Edimbourg : « wonderfully Gallic Nicolas Sarkozy ».

Damian, deux oxymores en trois mots ! Est-ce bien raisonnable ?...