French in England

Hispanic   Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:45 pm GMT
English must dissapear in USA.
Guest   Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:00 pm GMT
The Normans didn't abandon French, they continued to use it for over 300 years after the conquest.

Not impressive at all. Many sephardim Jews still speak Spanish after 500 years of their explusion from Spain. As another forumer said they eventually abandoned French and adopted English , the language of peasantry at those times.
Fray   Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:13 pm GMT
"Well, yeah, but eventually they did forlet it. Their possessions in England eventually coming to be thought of as their at-home owndoms, while their continental possessions as those they had to constatnly squabble about with the King of France. "

Owndom? Sounds like internet speak. I believe most Norman knights switched over very early to English which was well on the way to becoming Middle English, but Anglo-Norman remained mainly as an administrative language for a few centuries.
Fray   Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:54 pm GMT
I'm guessing owndom = kingdom right? Why not use that?
Leasnam   Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:22 am GMT
<<I'm guessing owndom = kingdom right? Why not use that? >>

'owndom' = possession, that which is owned

I had used 'possession' already twice in that same sentence and it needed some variety :)
Guest   Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:23 am GMT
Gold, gold, gold , gold pa mi.
Mariquita Perez   Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:30 am GMT
"Owndom" sounds so Anglosaxon. I like it rather than "posession".
Earle   Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:43 am GMT
Their "reaches" - another good Germanic word...
Putrice   Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:33 am GMT
Also England was not diluted with Spanish as the hispanic dung beetle wishfully thinks, it cannot be imposed on the native population because the Spanish Armada was destroyed, they finally mixed with the gypsies and abandoned the plan as the Anglosaxons were nordic people unlilike them and had more in common with them than with the Iberian Spaniards.
rep   Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:33 am GMT
FitzWalter,FitzGerald,FitzRobert,FitzGilbert,FitzHoward-surnames of Anglo-Norman origin.