Female blokes?

Terry   Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:37 pm GMT
Are blokes only men or can women be blokes?
Adam   Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:42 pm GMT
Only men are blokes.

Women are birds.
Terry   Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:50 pm GMT
<<Only men are blokes.

Women are birds. >>

Birds, really?

Does bloke actually mean a guy or does it mean something like mate?

Thanks for the info, BTW.
Rick Johnson   Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:50 pm GMT
Guy, fella, bloke, dude- all pretty much the same thing!
Terry   Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:26 pm GMT
Guy, fella, bloke, dude- all pretty much the same thing!

Thanks. I see. In the states we don't use bloke or even fella, really, but we use guy for both sexes, even though it traditionally refers to men. That's why I was wondering. Although we only use guy in the plural for women. When women meet up with friends we say, "Hi guys." But women don't punch each other in the shoulder and say, "Hey guy." That's, well, just a guy thing or maybe it's a "bloke thing" in England.
Brennus   Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:06 pm GMT
According to some sources I've seen 'bloke'is a loan word from Romany (Gypsy) as is 'pal' from Romany 'pral' meaning "brother." Pal is in American English too probably because it's an older word. I don't know when "bloke" entered the English lexicon in England but I would guess probably less than 200 years ago.
Terry   Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:11 pm GMT
<<According to some sources I've seen 'bloke'is a loan word from Romany (Gypsy) as is 'pal' from Romany 'pral' meaning "brother." Pal is in American English too probably because it's an older word. I don't know when "bloke" entered the English lexicon in England but I would guess probably less than 200 years ago.>>

Thanks, Brennus. So recent, I'm surprised. Yes we do use pal here.
Boy   Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:35 pm GMT
Terry, do you use 'mate' in the US?
Terry   Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:34 am GMT
<<Terry, do you use 'mate' in the US? >>

No, not in the sense the British do. Funny you should ask, I was thinking of posting on that. "Mate" is used as a verb as in "to mate with someone," to have sex with them. No one here ever calls a friend a mate.

Someone just called me "mate" on this sight. "Thanks, mate," I think he said, and I liked it. It's such a nice, friendly term. It made me feel like one of the team, like a pat on the shoulder. I wish we did use it here.
Ed   Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:40 am GMT
I hate that word.
Guest   Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:26 am GMT
Female blokes are the big, husky types with deep voices you see at the gym pressing 100kg overhead. They have plenty of make-up and lipstick on, but they also appear to have a bit of facial cover and odd looking marks on their arms.
Candy   Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:55 am GMT
<<I hate that word. >>
Really? I love being called 'mate'. In my area of Northern England, everyone calls each other 'love' (except men don't say it to each other - they only say 'mate'!) :)
Candy   Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:05 am GMT
<<Does bloke actually mean a guy or does it mean something like mate>>

To me personally, bloke only means guy. I'd say 'blokette' for a woman or something similar! :) (Just kidding!)
Rick Johnson   Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:40 am GMT
<<No, not in the sense the British do. Funny you should ask, I was thinking of posting on that. "Mate" is used as a verb as in "to mate with someone," to have sex with them. No one here ever calls a friend a mate.>>

But Americans do say room-mate, house-mate, ship-mate etc with no meaning of sexual activity.......apart from maybe ship-mate those dirty buggers!

When I've heard "mate" being used by Americans it has been used to refer to a spouse or partner. I made the mistake the mistake of telling a Canadian girl that "I was travelling with my mate". She asked me where she was to which I replied that my mate was a he- she then thought I was gay!
Felix the Cassowary   Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:49 am GMT
<< When I've heard "mate" being used by Americans it has been used to refer to a spouse or partner. I made the mistake the mistake of telling a Canadian girl that "I was travelling with my mate". She asked me where she was to which I replied that my mate was a he- she then thought I was gay! >>

You're kidding! I had no idea—I always thought "mate" was one of those words that Americans/Canadians knew but never used. Like "bloody", if you told an American/Canadian to shut the bloody door, they wouldn't try and find the one that was covered in blood!

It also sounds a bit wrong to call ones sexual partner a "mate" in a separate sense from calling your friend your "mate"... Birds have a mate ... people have mates too, but we can have many without being polygamous... To me that miscommunication reads a bit like the Canadian girl should've been asking "where it was".