Are ''catch'' and ''ketch'' homonyms for ye?

Al   Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:09 am GMT
<<But here in the northeast US, Catch - up, which rhymes with "catch," which rhymes with "batch," and "Ketchup," which rhymes with "Fetch" will both get you this red, gloppy stuff we like to pour on hamburgers, and especially Fren -- er -- Freedom Fries.>>

I'm from the northeast (New York) and I pronounce ''catch'' as /kEtS/.
Robert   Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:12 am GMT
I pronounce ''catch'' as /katS/ and ''ketch'' as /kEtS/.
Robert   Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:13 am GMT
And I'm from Jamaica.
andfre in usa   Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:15 am GMT
I'm from the northeast (philly) and I pronounce "catch" as [kEtS]
Felix the Cassowary   Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:43 am GMT
I'm from Australia and I pronounce "catch" as /kætS/, if "ketch" is a word, I'd say it as /kEtS/, but I've got no idea what it would mean.

I usually pronounce "ketchup" and "catsup" the same, as /so:s/ or /t@ma:t@u\ so:s/. If I actually have reason to say "ketchup" rather than translate it into my native dialect, I normally do it as /ketS@p/, but I tend to avoid it because not everyone knows what it is (particularly children, but even some adults who you would've thought should don't).

The American pronunciation with partial stress on the second syllable—thus: /kEtSVp/ not: /kEtS@p/—grates, but I suppose to the extent Americans use it and I don't and mine's more like a spelling pronunciation than anything else, the American pronunciation is right and mine is not.
Uriel   Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:42 am GMT
Catch and ketch are different for me (American).

And while I, too, prefer to spell a certain tomato-ey condiment k-e-t-c-h-u-p, I pronounce it "catch-up".

I believe a ketch is a type of boat, Felix.
Bill the Yank   Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:07 pm GMT
Yes, shorter mast (mizzan) rigged fore and aft, forward of the rudder post.
andre in usa   Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:11 pm GMT
The above post is not mine, but it rings true anyway.

I know someone who spells it "catsup" but pronounces it /kEtSVp/. I think most people who use the "catsup" spelling don't pronounce it the way it's spelt (cats-up).
Guest   Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:38 pm GMT
A long time ago, it seems like we had both "catsup" (from Del Monte, Hunts, and others?) and also "ketchup" (from Heinz and others?) in the US . Nowadays, it looks like "catsup" has mostly disappeared from the store shelves. Maybe old people are the ones who still sometimes call it "catsup"? Will "ketchup" soon be the only term left?
Al   Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:29 am GMT
I'd say that here, ''ketchup'' is by far the most common spelling even by the older generation. ''catsup'' indeed looks weird to me.
Guest   Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:02 am GMT
HJ Heinz was always the biggest name in ketchup, even back in the days when other brands of catsup were available. Maybe that explains why even old people usually call it ketchup?
Guest   Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:08 am GMT
For me I myself would pronunce these words differently. The soft 'C' and the hasrh 'K' what makes me pronuce them differently.
Albert   Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:22 am GMT
Are all three of those ''Guests'', the same ''guest'' or different ''guests''?
Guest   Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:09 am GMT
I'm Guest number 4
Guest   Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:05 am GMT
I'm Guest number 5