National/ regional differences in slang and cursing

Terry   Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:41 pm GMT
<<It is rather odd and I think people originally thought it was a blasphemous reference. I'm not sure anyone knows for sure what the true origin is and hence why it should be considered a swear word. It's rather strange why any words should become unutterable.>>

Good point. Now that I think of it, I have no idea where the word "fuck" came from either.

<<I think historically "damn" and "shit" have been considered much worse in the US than in Britain.>>

I don't consider them all that bad.

<<The word "fuck" would never have been used on British TV at one time, but with American movies in the '80s (Beverly Hills Cop etc) I think most people became immune to it. Now it's used in several times a night on British TV, though curiously never on American networks.>>

I think that's because of the FCC (Federal Communicatons Commission). They regulate radio and television broadcasts here but not movies.
Terry   Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:50 pm GMT
<<I've heard a theory that it's a contraction of 'by our Lady', but I've no idea if that's true or not. >>

Thanks, mate, :-). But now the question becomes why would "by our Lady" be considered a curse. I suppose since "Lady" is capitalized we're talking about the Virgin Mary who I think I've heard called our lady, yes, as in Our Lady of Lourdes. Hmm.

BTW I liked the bit about everyone calling each other "love" in northern England.
Rick Johnson   Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:04 pm GMT
<<I have no idea where the word "fuck" came from either>> Given that similar words exist in other germanic languages I would assume it has Anglo-Saxon origins. "Shit" can be based back to at least the 1300s and "shite" even further again.

<<BTW I liked the bit about everyone calling each other "love" in northern England.>>

Yep, that expression is used often here. "Cock", is sometimes used by older people around Manchester as a term of endearment. "Duck" is used is in Midlands.

<<In Australia "root" used to mean "fuck">>

when I looked up the origin of the word once, it said it was derived from 19th Century England, but I've never heard anyone say it here.

<<And of course it's real football teams that one barracks for—not that pansy stuff you have in America with more helmet and padding then person, nor that game played with a round ball over in England.>>

I found conversations quite confusing in Australia, especially so in Queensland. If someone says "footy" I immediately think of soccer, but in Queensland it could mean Australian Rules, Rugby League or Rugby Union.
Terry   Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:17 pm GMT
<<"Cock", is sometimes used by older people around Manchester as a term of endearment. >>

Cock, oh that's funny, that's used as an insult here. A penis is often called a cock. "You cocksucker" is an example. Speaking of which, I wonder why so many of our curses refer to sexual acts or sexual organs. It sounds as if we don't like sex, which is obviously not the case with most. They also often refer to our gods, which we're supposed to worship.

<<"Duck" is used is in Midlands.>>

Duck, now that's cute. Someone said you call women birds too. And do the British use the word "duckey" anymore? I've seen it on old British films, I think. I've heard it used here but a long time ago.
Candy   Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:19 pm GMT
<<Thanks, mate, :-). But now the question becomes why would "by our Lady" be considered a curse. I suppose since "Lady" is capitalized we're talking about the Virgin Mary who I think I've heard called our lady, yes, as in Our Lady of Lourdes. Hmm.

BTW I liked the bit about everyone calling each other "love" in northern England.>>

No probs, love. :-)
I doubt that anyone nowadays would think of 'by our Lady' as a curse or even particularly blasphemous, but it does refer to the Virgin Mary.
It's great when I go back to my home town and naturally start calling everyone 'love'. It just trips off the tongue, somehow. And yes, I do mean everyone: men, women, kids. I'm not sure if anyone uses 'ducky' these days, but the last time I visited a friend of mine near Edinburgh, a taxi driver called me 'hen'. :)
Guest   Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:34 pm GMT
<<No probs, love. :-)
I doubt that anyone nowadays would think of 'by our Lady' as a curse or even particularly blasphemous, but it does refer to the Virgin Mary.
It's great when I go back to my home town and naturally start calling everyone 'love'. It just trips off the tongue, somehow. And yes, I do mean everyone: men, women, kids. >>

I like it. My Irish grandmother called people she loved "dear" and I miss it. She wasn't physically demonstrative but every time she called me "dear," which was all the time, it made me feel so safe and warm, it was as if she'd just given me a hug. And "love" has the same affect.

<<I'm not sure if anyone uses 'ducky' these days, but the last time I visited a friend of mine near Edinburgh, a taxi driver called me 'hen'. :)

The British sure like those birds. :-)
Rick Johnson   Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:40 pm GMT
<<Cock, oh that's funny, that's used as an insult here.>>

It means penis in Britain as well, if I were to say to someone "you cock" that would be an insult, but if I said "you alright cock" that would be endearing- you can usually tell by the tone of someones voice whether to be offended or not.

<<Speaking of which, I wonder why so many of our curses refer to sexual acts or sexual organs.>>

Yes it's odd, I've always wondered why in Britain words such as "Sod" and "bugger" are considered quite mild swear words even though they both refer to acts of anal sex. I wonder sometimes when I hear Grandmothers say to little kids "Come here you little bugger", whether they actually consider the implications of what they are saying. I dare say some don't actually know what it means.
Terry   Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:54 pm GMT
Note to Candy the Guest post sandwiched between your last one and Rick's last one is mine. Forgot to put my name in the box again!
Terry   Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:07 pm GMT
<<It means penis in Britain as well, if I were to say to someone "you cock" that would be an insult, but if I said "you alright cock" that would be endearing- you can usually tell by the tone of someones voice whether to be offended or not.>>

Now that is interesting. A word used as a term of endearment *and* an insult. I don't know if we have any of those. I'll think about it.

I know what you mean about the tone though, yes that does make a difference. I noticed in England when they said "sorry" for bumping into you it was a different tone from the "sorry" they used if they felt insulted. It's the same here when we use "excuse me." Of course we say sor-ee and you say sor-ray with a higher pitch used on the "ray."

<<Yes it's odd, I've always wondered why in Britain words such as "Sod" and "bugger" are considered quite mild swear words even though they both refer to acts of anal sex.

We don't use "Sod" here but we use bugger all the time and you're right we don't even think about it. I imagine "sod" is short for sodomy?

<I wonder sometimes when I hear Grandmothers say to little kids "Come here you little bugger", whether they actually consider the implications of what they are saying. I dare say some don't actually know what it means.>>

I suspect, as you do, they may not know what it means. I do but still I don't think twice about using it.
Uriel   Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:02 pm GMT
<<I know what you mean about the tone though, yes that does make a difference. I noticed in England when they said "sorry" for bumping into you it was a different tone from the "sorry" they used if they felt insulted. It's the same here when we use "excuse me." Of course we say sor-ee and you say sor-ray with a higher pitch used on the "ray." >>

Apparently, to their ears, we say something more like "sarry". I read that once on an amusing anti-American rant. The things people will pick to get worked up about!

I think that way back when, when sacrilege was taken much more seriously than it is now, any religious reference used in swearing was much more serious, which is why "by our Lady" would have sounded much worse in the old days (and why it might have been contracted to the relatively nonsensical "bloody".)
Tom K.   Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:07 pm GMT
"Now that is interesting. A word used as a term of endearment *and* an insult. I don't know if we have any of those. I'll think about it. "

There is something like that here in the US. The word "shit" becomes something good if you put "the" before it. If you say something/someone is "shit" then that's an insult, but if you call it "the shit" then it's a compliment.
Rick Johnson   Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:18 pm GMT
<<Now that is interesting. A word used as a term of endearment *and* an insult. I don't know if we have any of those. I'll think about it. >>

If it's used by an older person it's referring to a "cock" as in rooster. If someone calls you "a cock" they mean you're a penis.

When I was at primary school, the top dog used to be know as the "cock of the school". I remember meeting a kid from another school when I was about 9. He boasted to me that he was the "cock of his school", I agreed that he probably was! I don't think he really really knew what I meant.
Terry   Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:38 pm GMT
<<Apparently, to their ears, we say something more like "sarry". I read that once on an amusing anti-American rant. The things people will pick to get worked up about! >>

"Sarry"? I wonder which accent the person heard. We talk about British, English and American accents but of course the dialects are quite different on a regional basis.

<<I think that way back when, when sacrilege was taken much more seriously than it is now, any religious reference used in swearing was much more serious, which is why "by our Lady" would have sounded much worse in the old days (and why it might have been contracted to the relatively nonsensical "bloody".) >>

I see what you mean, Uriel, yes, that's a good theory.
Lazar   Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:45 pm GMT
<<"Sarry"? I wonder which accent the person heard. We talk about British, English and American accents but of course the dialects are quite different on a regional basis.>>

Well "sorry", as pronounced by most Americans, would sound almost exactly the same as British English "sari" (or American English "sari" for that matter): [sAr\i].
Terry   Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:49 pm GMT
<<If it's used by an older person it's referring to a "cock" as in rooster.>>

It's used that way here too, still. There are stories in the Florida newspapers now and again about illegal rooster fights but they're called "cockfights."

<<When I was at primary school, the top dog used to be know as the "cock of the school". I remember meeting a kid from another school when I was about 9. He boasted to me that he was the "cock of his school", I agreed that he probably was! I don't think he really really knew what I meant. >>

Lol, Rick. Usually I find "cocky" people like that never know when they're being insulted. We use the term, "cock of the walk" and it always brings to mind a certain reporter I used to work with. What a complete, arrogant, conceited ass. Of course the rest of us subtly busted his balls every chance we got. He deserved it but I don't think he ever knew. Of course when cock is used in this way, it's referring to a rooster, you know that attitude they have.