National/ regional differences in slang and cursing

Al   Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:54 pm GMT
<<Well "sorry", as pronounced by most Americans, would sound almost exactly the same as British English "sari" (or American English "sari" for that matter): [sAr\i].>>

I'm from New York and I pronounce ''sorry'' and ''sari'' differently. ''sorry'' is /sAri/ and ''sari'' is /sA@ri/ for me.
Terry   Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:50 am GMT
<<There is something like that here in the US. The word "shit" becomes something good if you put "the" before it. If you say something/someone is "shit" then that's an insult, but if you call it "the shit" then it's a compliment.>>

I haven't come across that, Tom. Can you explain it more and which part of the US it comes from?
Terry   Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:53 am GMT
<<Well "sorry", as pronounced by most Americans, would sound almost exactly the same as British English "sari" (or American English "sari" for that matter): [sAr\i].>>

That sounds like something an Indian woman might wear? I'm ignorant of the symbols you use, so I'm at a loss.
Lazar   Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:05 am GMT
<<I'm from New York and I pronounce ''sorry'' and ''sari'' differently. ''sorry'' is /sAri/ and ''sari'' is /sA@ri/ for me.>>

I distinguish between "sorry" [sQr\i] and "sari" [sAr\i] as well. ;-)

But nonetheless, the overwhelming majority of Americans would pronounce those two words the same.
Felix the Cassowary   Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:17 am GMT
<<I found conversations quite confusing in Australia, especially so in Queensland. If someone says "footy" I immediately think of soccer, but in Queensland it could mean Australian Rules, Rugby League or Rugby Union.>>

Yes, well, I was thinking of saying something to make it clear I don't consider thugby to be football, but about the only things I could think of were a little too risqué. Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut.

In Melbourne "footy" is unambiguous, but it means football, rather than soccer. What's with "footy", clearly an abbreviation of "football", being used as a variant of "soccer" over in England? That makes no sense :P :) Still, European soccer games probably get better coverage in Melbourne than rugby.

I'm surprised that you as a Brit can say the word "soccer", I thought it was a criminal offence over there what with the new anti-terrorist laws! (Ironically, the word "soccer" originated in England...) Coming from Australia of course I know what "football" really means: The most dominant code of football in your region. In England of course that's soccer. In Melbourne that's Australian rules football, in New Zealand that's some form of rugby and in America that's gridiron. If you listen to accents it becomes easier... someone saying [fU?bO:u] can only mean one thing...
Lazar   Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:19 am GMT
One interesting thing is that the terms "soccer" and "football" are both derived from the phrase "association football". The Americans took the "soc" part, while the British took the "football" part.
Terry   Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:20 am GMT
<<I distinguish between "sorry" [sQr\i] and "sari" [sAr\i] as well. ;-)

But nonetheless, the overwhelming majority of Americans would pronounce those two words the same. >>

Okay, it sounds as if your pronunciation of "sorry" and "sari" are the same as mine. I pronounce sorry, "saw-ry," - my primitive way of trying to convey my pronunciation. :-)
Tiffany   Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:11 am GMT
"<<There is something like that here in the US. The word "shit" becomes something good if you put "the" before it. If you say something/someone is "shit" then that's an insult, but if you call it "the shit" then it's a compliment.>>

I haven't come across that, Tom. Can you explain it more and which part of the US it comes from?"

Really Terry? It seems really widespread to me, usually in slang or ebonics. I hear "You da shit" a lot.
Lazar   Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:29 am GMT
<<Really Terry? It seems really widespread to me, usually in slang or ebonics. I hear "You da shit" a lot.>>

I have likewise heard of "the shit" or "da shit".
Lazar   Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:31 am GMT
By the way, how many sentences have you heard or read that contain both "likewise" and "da shit"? ;-)
Guest   Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:34 am GMT
The shit (noun) = good
Shit/shitty (adjective) = bad
Uriel   Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:21 am GMT
<<By the way, how many sentences have you heard or read that contain both "likewise" and "da shit"? ;-) >>

You may indeed be the first to blaze that trail, Lazar.

For the record, "sorry" and "sari" would sound about the same out of me. To MY ears, British apologies sound like "sore-ry".
Travis   Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:26 am GMT
>>For the record, "sorry" and "sari" would sound about the same out of me. To MY ears, British apologies sound like "sore-ry".<<

Count me in amongst those who say "sore-ry", even though I'm not British in the least.
Lazar   Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:36 am GMT
<<Count me in amongst those who say "sore-ry", even though I'm not British in the least.>>

And even though nobody in Britain actually says "sore-ry". ;-)
Rick Johnson   Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:01 pm GMT
<<I'm surprised that you as a Brit can say the word "soccer", I thought it was a criminal offence over there>> I can say it because I never watch it, I'm much more of a "thugby" man myself!