Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?

Uriel   Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:53 am GMT
I've never yet seen a forum where the moderators didn't also participate in threads as ordinary posters, and under their own name. I don't see why mjd should have to abstain from conversation just because he also has editorial powers. That's between him and the site administrator.
Robin Michael   Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:51 am GMT
If you think of the 'Moderator' as being like a ChairPerson in a Debate. The ChairPerson does not take part in the Debate, but ensures that the Debate takes place in an orderly fashion.

Otherwise, the Moderator is like a Super Powerful Person.

Also, it ceases to be a Debate and is some form of Dictatorship.
Liz   Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:02 pm GMT
<<If you think of the 'Moderator' as being like a ChairPerson in a Debate. The ChairPerson does not take part in the Debate, but ensures that the Debate takes place in an orderly fashion.>>

The role of the moderator is slightly different from that of a chairperson in a debate. You are right - they do ensure that the debate / discussion takes place in an orderly fashion. However, in forums like this, moderators had been long-term contributors to the discussions when they actually chose or were chosen to fulfill this function. I've seen and even posted on many other forums and I can't recall any moderator having been deprived of his/her right to post and take part in discussions.

<<Otherwise, the Moderator is like a Super Powerful Person.

Also, it ceases to be a Debate and is some form of Dictatorship.>>

Only if the moderators are excessively biassed not sensible at all, which is fortunately not true in most of the cases (there are exceptions, of course, as always, but I don't wish to name names). As far as I know, mjd has always been quite a sensible moderator and is certainly not a dictator type by any stretch of the imagination.
Batman   Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:38 pm GMT
Robin Michael why do you capitalize your nouns? Are you a German?