Why do Dutch and Scandinavians speak English so well?

12345   Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:33 am GMT
Try to find some real arguments ;). Not going into a debate with you.
Damian Chelmsford Essex   Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:01 am GMT
***I had the same in Sweden when I wanted to learn some Swedish. They all answered in English...***

I was in Sweden only for a few hours on a day trip over from Denmark - in both of those countries I found a very pronounced readiness to speak or to respond to me in English but there again, maybe they had little choice as I was the one who usually initiated the dialogue in English anyway - mostly in the shops or the ferry terminals. The same was true in the Netherlands - you ask in English, you automatically get respo0nded to in English - it's as simple as that.

Dutch, Danish, Swedish - it would be stupid to suggest they are anything but minority Languages in global terms - English is not - it's the autmatic passport to linguistic interpersonal dialogue right across the planet for the most part....it's an undeniable fact.

The Danes are fun, the Swedes a tad more reserved and the Dutch - I like them for their unreserved inclusiveness and open friendliness and as a general rule you always know precisely where you stand with them, good or not so good, and all without being frank to the point of rudeness...they have this happy knack of knowing the difference.
12345   Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:04 am GMT
Ah well maybe I do.

I think you'll change your opinion on euthanasia when you or one of your relatives will suffer. Like if one of them develops lung cancer. Seeing people choke because they don't get fresh air is not the best thing to see a relative die.

The second one about Islamics. Look for some political things news. It's clear the Dutch people don't allow everything anymore. But than we're suddenly xenophobes and equalized with Hitler.
And Dutch culture. I think you've no idea what Dutch culture is. To Americans it's only mills and wooden shoes while that's something we Dutchies don't care about as that's not our real culture. Islamic being bigger than Christianity does not mean we're giving up our culture. As the number of Dutch non Christianics + Dutch Christianic is bigger than number of Islamics. The numbers about religion on Wiki are not correct. I'm saying this how it looks in my own surroundings. (Number of Christians that is, because in my area there's barely any Islamic.) I am not anti-Islamic and why would I? People are in their right to believe what they want. I see however there's a potential danger in Islam when they have the power. But that's something that won't happen here, because the 'Wilders-supporters' are still growing and growing. I will also vote for Wilders. Not because I'm anti-Islam or so. I want to be sure our position in Europe will be stronger and when it comes to immigration there must be stricter guidelines for immigrants.
I think the UK is 10 times worse than the Netherlands. We are allowed to have an opinion, also if it's a painful one for specific groups. The British have the rule not to harm anyone. So in fact in Britain you can't say your opinion.

About the drugs, what are the USA and other countries doing against alcohol? Alcohol is heavy drug. But like most foreigners you don't know about the effects of a joint compared to the effects of alcohol or cigarettes. You'd be surprised.
If there's one drug in the Netherlands that should be disallowed because of it's effects it's alcohol. But we all know that gives a mafia like in the USA in the 1930's.
Banning other drugs does the same. It all goes underground, which will make the bad people rich. Also the government has no control on the drugs. That way very bad quality can be sold. By regulation of drugs the government can follow the drug users in what they're doing to make sure they won't lose contact with the real society and if needed they can be sent to rehab on time.

Any questions?
Sandro   Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:46 am GMT
I very much like the Netherlands and I like the Dutch people generally, end of

But not enought to learn their language.
You seem not to love France and french people (parisians in particular) but you learned their language.
It's a nonsense for me.

By the way the guy who write this :"<<To paraphrase Damian's post:

"Yes, I am a boring monolingual Brit"

Ok, I get it! >>"

This is not me.
mike   Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:48 am GMT
Well , I live in Amsterdam Holland for almost 11 years and I do not hate Dutch people but like anywhere else there many idiots around who'd make you feel shit somedays. One suggestion to the Dutch though, they need to be less rude when it comes to services , I have had many bad experiences from resturants, pubs and public transports here. This comment is not meant to hurt anyone but if you are offended, you must be Dutch.
Damian Laindon Essex   Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:44 am GMT
***One suggestion to the Dutch though, they need to be less rude when it comes to services , I have had many bad experiences from resturants, pubs and public transports here***

This reflects the situation here in the UK as well to a degree....the picture here though can be pretty variable and it depends how each establishment is run by management when it comes to Customer Service.

I think we in Europe are aware of the superior American standards of general Customer Service, even those of us who, like myself, have never (yet) been to the United States...we reply on what we read or hear about it second hand.

Over there staff really have to step up to the mark regarding the service and standards of politeness and civility offered to customers......or else! Apparently it is so much easier to summarily dismiss staff on the spot in America with little or no recourse to compensation or the initiation of legal action on the part of people who are sent packing from their jobs for whatever reason......there does not appear to be quite the same kind of statutory employment legislation protecting the rights of employees as there is here in the UK and in Europe generally.

It is much easier to dismiss staff in America than it is in the UK and Europe generally, and so much more depends on one's employment status in America than is the case in Europe as there is simply not the same safety net over there as there is here when you hit on lean times.

For instance if you lose your job in America you are highly likely to find yourself in dire straits big time..... it poses huge problems in the issue of health insurance cover just for starters and most employees have to rely on their employers for an adequate and decent Health Insurance cover which, at the best of times, by all accounts, can be a bureaucratic nightmare anyway to figure out and many seem to be riddled with loopholes and cop outs. So with no job it's a case of no insurance cover and with no insurance cover you are out of the mainstream for adequate and reliable medical treatment other than the mere basics provided by their Medicaid Programs or whatever they call it for those who are not able to pay for the standards of health treatment which are pretty much universal throughout the UK and Europe.

Social welfare is harder to come by in America than it is here, and taking employees in the service industries over there as an example many have to rely on tips big time just to make up their pay to an acceptable level - possibly even up to statutory minimum pay levels which is actually illegal in the UK and Europe (employers who are proved to be guilty of such a practice are prosecuted over here). That is why tipping is very much a way of life in America - leave no tip and you are usually made well aware of your misdemeanour.... with a vengeance!

That all contributes to the high standards of Customer Service in America -that is why, over there, you very rarely encounter the indifference, the casualness, the lack of civility and helpfulness and perhaps even out and out rudeness that you can - but most assuredly by no means always! - experience on this side of the Puddle. Poor or substandard Customer Service is one of the most prominent gripes among American tourists in or visitors to both the UK and Europe generally - staff are aware of their legal protection over here, something which doesn't really exist "Over There" to anything like the same extent.
still employed   Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:35 pm GMT
<<For instance if you lose your job in America you are highly likely to find yourself in dire straits big time..... it poses huge problems in the issue of health insurance cover just for starters and most employees have to rely on their employers for an adequate and decent Health Insurance cover which, at the best of times, by all accounts, can be a bureaucratic nightmare anyway to figure out and many seem to be riddled with loopholes and cop outs.>>

The best strategy in the U.S. regarding medical costs to not get sick or injured, at least up until you are eligible for Medicare and open enrollment for the various Medigap plans, etc.
Mork   Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:45 pm GMT
<<The amount of trolls on this forum almost leave me to decide to leave this forum. Too bad this forum has gone this way.>>

True. I'm quite new and I'm starting to get tired of these trolls. A simple log-in system would prevent these kids from posting that garbage.
xenonican   Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:56 pm GMT
<<But that's something that won't happen here, because the 'Wilders-supporters' are still growing and growing. I will also vote for Wilders. Not because I'm anti-Islam or so. I want to be sure our position in Europe will be stronger and when it comes to immigration there must be stricter guidelines for immigrants.>>

It's really heartwarming to hear that racism and xenophobia are alive and well in the Netherlands, and hopefully in the rest of Europe, too. Maybe there's long-term hope for Europe, after all. Its for sure that the enemies of the West aren't bound up by political correctness, like the US and (apparently) the UK are.

Around here, the merest suggestion that we should do something to throttle back the flow of illegal immigrants is immediately shouted down as racist. In fact, even suggesting that folks would be better off learning English if they are interested in staying permanently in the US is also considered racist.
Me   Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:57 pm GMT
“A simple log-in system would prevent these kids from posting that garbage.”

Those kids would create an account and continue posting garbage. It's all about moderation.
12345   Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:46 pm GMT
«
It's really heartwarming to hear that racism and xenophobia are alive and well in the Netherlands, and hopefully in the rest of Europe, too. Maybe there's long-term hope for Europe, after all. Its for sure that the enemies of the West aren't bound up by political correctness, like the US and (apparently) the UK are.

Around here, the merest suggestion that we should do something to throttle back the flow of illegal immigrants is immediately shouted down as racist. In fact, even suggesting that folks would be better off learning English if they are interested in staying permanently in the US is also considered racist. »

Don't think xenophobia is the right word. It's common sense looking at what happened here.
People who simply fuck up this country by messing with everyone. These people should be kicked out of the country. Just like foreign thieves and that stuff. Just go to yer own country being the thief/robber/killer. I don't want you here and I don't want to pay your sentence in jail.

People who can accustom to our standards can stay and have a Dutch passport. Is that such a weird guideline?
The Islamics in Iran also don't want people in their country who don't agree with them.
I don't care if someone has an other opinion, religion, thought, but you can at least integrate in a society. I don't want people with a criminal record here. I don't want Somalian pirates here.....
I only want immigrants who can add some of their knowledge to the society or know how to integrate and have a job. (Than they also add to the society). Europeans usually don't have a problem with that. The persons who can't integrate in this country should be sent back to their own country also if they are Europeans or Americans.

I love my country and will defend it. Some guys would already say of that sentence I'm a racist. But if I were a racist I'd say: No Africans here.
I say Africans who can integrate and add something to the society can stay and have a Dutch passport. The same with Americans.
But if they can't integrate or doing crimes, well go back then..
Blinc-blanc   Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:00 pm GMT
I wouldn't allow Americans stay in my country and have a local passport though. They're privileged enough as it is, being the leaders of the free world.
fraz   Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:28 pm GMT
<<In fact, even suggesting that folks would be better off learning English if they are interested in staying permanently in the US is also considered racist.>>

That's a crazy viewpoint. There are nearly 300 million people in the States, the vast majority of whom are English speakers. Of course learning English is the best way forward for an immigrant, just as learning Spanish would be sensible if you moved to Madrid.
xenonican   Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:39 pm GMT
<<That's a crazy viewpoint. There are nearly 300 million people in the States, the vast majority of whom are English speakers. Of course learning English is the best way forward for an immigrant, just as learning Spanish would be sensible if you moved to Madrid. >>

I think the reasoning is that Europeans don't belong on the North American continent, so English also has no place here. The immigrants coming north from Latin America want the Europeans (and Asians, Africans, etc.) out of here, so there is no need for them to learn English. I suppose the ultimate goal would be to eventually eliminate Spanish, too.
Freedom of Speech   Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:48 pm GMT
In the West it is allowed to insult Islam! It is allowed! That is the rule! Get used to it! You can insult Christianity too! If you don't like it, go burn our flag in Teheran, but not here!