Why do Dutch and Scandinavians speak English so well?

lakdsfsdflkas   Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:39 pm GMT
“Actually, there was a church, but it had been turned into a museum or an art gallery.”

Heh heh.
12345   Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:46 pm GMT
I live in a small village where there are 3 churches at 650 inhabitants.. ;)
So it depends on area where you are.
xenonican   Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:17 pm GMT
<<¿Es cierto que hasta no hace mucho cuando los holandeses construían polders enterraban vivo a un hombre para que les diera suerte y no se hinundase el terreno? >>

Hopefully, the guy was a volunteer for the euthanasia program, and they put up a nice memorial that commemorates his sacrifice for all to see.

Sounds like the stuff of legends.
Mork   Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:55 am GMT
<<They're also very full of hatred: for their neighbouring countries, for those with different religious beliefs, and for anyone who dares disagree with their perfect ways. I speak from experience.>>

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. The Netherlands has more mixed religions living together then most countries together! Every religion is respected. Why else would there be at least one 'moskee' and church in every big city? If there is any country open to religion then its the Netherlands. I don't know what country you were visiting, but it sure wasn't the Netherlands. Actually the only people who provoke agression are internettrolls such as yourself!
QED   Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:24 am GMT
Mork Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:55 am GMT
<<<<They're also very full of hatred: for their neighbouring countries, for those with different religious beliefs, and for anyone who dares disagree with their perfect ways. I speak from experience.>>>>

>> This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. The Netherlands has more mixed religions living together then most countries together! Every religion is respected. Why else would there be at least one 'moskee' and church in every big city? If there is any country open to religion then its the Netherlands. I don't know what country you were visiting, but it sure wasn't the Netherlands. Actually the only people who provoke agression are internettrolls such as yourself! <<

_-------------------

QED

Mork, it looks like your aggressive and rude reply has proved his point rather than yours.
Dutch are fascist   Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:21 pm GMT
Mork,

Take a look at this report from the Daily Telegraph (4th June 2009):

Geert Wilders, Holland's anti-immigrant, Muslim-baiting maverick, appeared to be heading for a triumph in his first European election tonight, with polls and surveys indicating that he could win the ballot in the Netherlands.

The Dutch, as well as the British, kicked off four days of elections to the European parliament across the EU's 27 countries. Wilders cast an optimistic vote in The Hague and declared that Turkey could not join the EU "in a million years".

A detailed poll-tracking survey, predict09.eu, run by political scientists at the London School of Economics and Trinity College Dublin, indicated that Wilder's Freedom party could take 21% of the vote and six of the Netherlands' 25 seats in Brussels and Strasbourg, ahead of the traditionally governing parties, the Christian Democrats and the Labour party, which are currently in coalition.

Some Dutch opinion surveys supported the poll trackers, or put Wilders neck and neck with the Christian democrats of the prime minister, Jan-Peter Balkenende. A mock election among 15,000 pupils in 140 schools in the Netherlands this week also gave Wilders more than 19% support, ahead of all other parties.

Wilders wants the European parliament abolished, and Bulgaria and Romania kicked out of the EU. The virulence of his anti-Islam and anti-immigrant activities saw him barred from entering Britain this year and the Dutch authorities are prosecuting him for discrimination.

etc..

You still maintain "Every religion is respected. Why else would there be at least one 'moskee' and church in every big city? If there is any country open to religion then its the Netherlands." ??????
Travis   Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:24 pm GMT
Oh brother. While I myself have little love for Christian Democrat types, and have little love for many of the policies of the European Union, I would take them over his type any day myself.
Guest   Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:39 pm GMT
When I was to Amsterdam to buy some tobacco and visit the country I expected that the Dutch would treat me with certain disdain because I'm an Spaniard and we butchered many Dutchmen some centuries ago, but I must tell that the Dutch always were warm to me and very easy going. I like a lot their typical honest ad humble Germanic way of being. As for Europe political elections, one can't expect that Europe is flooded with Muslims, who don't integrate in their host countries, and their citizens don't react to that agression. We are fed up wih this scum .
Mork   Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:35 am GMT
A reply to mister "Dutch are fascist": sure, just because Geert Wilders is Dutch the whole country has the same opinion as him. Makes perfect sense. Every American also completely agreed with George Bush in every way you know.

/sarcasm

<<Mork, it looks like your aggressive and rude reply has proved his point rather than yours.>>

If you seriously think that my post was agressive and rude then you really haven't seen much of this world.
Mork   Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:52 am GMT
I can't believe by the way that the trolls in this topic seriously want to start a debate about facism with names such as "hatedutch" and "Rise, sea level, rise". This pretty much defeats every purpose and credibility (if there ever was any) of their posts.
john   Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:09 am GMT
<<Geert Wilders, Holland's anti-immigrant, Muslim-baiting maverick, appeared to be heading for a triumph in his first European election tonight, with polls and surveys indicating that he could win the ballot in the Netherlands.

The Dutch, as well as the British, kicked off four days of elections to the European parliament across the EU's 27 countries. Wilders cast an optimistic vote in The Hague and declared that Turkey could not join the EU "in a million years".

A detailed poll-tracking survey, predict09.eu, run by political scientists at the London School of Economics and Trinity College Dublin, indicated that Wilder's Freedom party could take 21% of the vote and six of the Netherlands' 25 seats in Brussels and Strasbourg, ahead of the traditionally governing parties, the Christian Democrats and the Labour party, which are currently in coalition.

Some Dutch opinion surveys supported the poll trackers, or put Wilders neck and neck with the Christian democrats of the prime minister, Jan-Peter Balkenende. A mock election among 15,000 pupils in 140 schools in the Netherlands this week also gave Wilders more than 19% support, ahead of all other parties.

Wilders wants the European parliament abolished, and Bulgaria and Romania kicked out of the EU. The virulence of his anti-Islam and anti-immigrant activities saw him barred from entering Britain this year and the Dutch authorities are prosecuting him for discrimination. >>

Wow, if only there were more politicians like that in my country! I would vote for them every time! There's nothing anti-Islamic with wanting people to adjust to YOUR culture, not for the locals to adjust to THEIR culture. If I went to the Arab countries and wore a bikini I would be deported. So women who come to Europe and wear full-facial Burkhas should be deported.
Guest   Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:26 am GMT
Muslim women in Europe wear burkhas because they don't want to be seduced by Christian men. How is racist then?
john   Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:57 am GMT
<<Muslim women in Europe wear burkhas because they don't want to be seduced by Christian men. How is racist then? >>

Western women wear bikinis in Arab countries because they don't want to be seduced by Arab men, to make it clear to them they're not Muslim and out of bounds. So, "how is racist then"?
Dutch is nice   Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:16 am GMT
How come wearing a bikini means "don't look at me" ? Muslim men don't bother to look at western women wearing bikinis, on the contrary and western women wouldn't care less if they do. Anyways western women don't wear bikinis in Arab countries appart from the touristic places that may exist there, otherwise they would be raped by the muslim hordes . Try to be a voluptuous blond European women wearing short skirt while walking alone across the narrow and smelly strees of a Moroccoan city, surely you would be raped in seconds. The Muslim women are all the time hiddin' themselves behind those outrageous dresses. Eitheir they don't wan't Christian men to look at them (that may end up being positive so the chances for interracial marriages decrease) or they they are too ugly to show up their faces. Probably it's a mix of both things.
noneuian   Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:20 am GMT
<<Wilders wants the European parliament abolished, and Bulgaria and Romania kicked out of the EU. The virulence of his anti-Islam and anti-immigrant activities saw him barred from entering Britain this year and the Dutch authorities are prosecuting him for discrimination.>>

If Wilders gets put in jail, won't that invalidate his election gains? I assume the other political parties would then band together put the other prominent members of Wilders' party in jail, too. Perhaps they could even go after his supporters and anyone who voted for him?