Why do Dutch and Scandinavians speak English so well?

john   Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:06 am GMT
<<Wilders wants the European parliament abolished, and Bulgaria and Romania kicked out of the EU. The virulence of his anti-Islam and anti-immigrant activities saw him barred from entering Britain this year and the Dutch authorities are prosecuting him for discrimination.>>

Well, you may complain and accuse the Netherlands of being more racist than Britain. I'd say they are just more blunt and don't hate themselves as much as the Brits. Fine, ban Wilders from entering the UK, at least while the UK still exists that is. When you are living under Sharia law maybe the Dutch will not allow you into the Netherlands as refugees. Then you will regret not letting Wilders in to the UK. The UK is going down so fast it's unbelievable, and the people sit and do nothing, as though all Muslims love them and would never even think to do anything to wrong a Britisher. In fact, the Muslims will wrong you as much as and probably more so than anyone else, especially if they are driven by ideology and consider you an inferior infidel. They are not bound by PC and will trample your rights.
Anti-racist   Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:32 am GMT
Worrying how people are so quick to accept and even justify racists like that.

Has everyone forgotten how Hitler started out? With him it was the Jews, with the Dutch it's now the Muslims. Accepting, condoning hatred of another race, religion etc is the main thing that enabled Hitler to do what he did: it wasn't Hitler himself who killed those people and ran the camps, it was those who accepted the hatred he preached.
blanc   Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:43 am GMT
Westerners are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

A Westerner is branded racist if they want Muslim women not to be allowed to wear a burkha. A Westerner is also branded a racist if they wear a bikini in Dubai, because it's "disrespectful of Islam".

So it's a lose lose situation.
There's a difference   Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:07 pm GMT
It's not about banning burkhas, it's about hatred and racism.

I think burkhas should be banned if the face is concealed, but no way would I condone the hatred the Dutch currently express for Islam and immigrants in general - and not just immigrants but for other countries and anyone who has beliefs different to their own.

There's a big difference.
anti dumbs   Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:41 pm GMT
I'm so tired of the stupids who use Hitler to justify everything. It's the muslims who act like Hitler cos they want to spread their religion the same way Hitler wanted the whole Europe to become a big Germany. So only because Hitler killed many Jews we have to stand that the Muslims keep on migrating to Europe and living under sharia code in their ghettos? I don't get your reasoning.
Anti-"anti-dumbs&q   Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:33 pm GMT
anti dumbs Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:41 pm GMT

I'm so tired of the stupids who use Hitler to justify everything. It's the muslims who act like Hitler cos they want to spread their religion the same way Hitler wanted the whole Europe to become a big Germany. So only because Hitler killed many Jews we have to stand that the Muslims keep on migrating to Europe and living under sharia code in their ghettos? I don't get your reasoning.

what a load of codswallop.
Damian Westerham Kent   Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:33 pm GMT
Yesterday 05/06/09 saw the UK voting in the European Parliamentary Elections, along with the Netherlands. Some EU countries are voting today Friday 05/06, some tomorrow Saturday 06/06 but the majority voting on Sunday 07/06.

Counting and results declarations in all countries will take place on Sunday evening, into Monday morning 07/06 into 08/06.

From exit polls in the Netherlands it seems that there has been a very considerable swing towards the extreme right wing party led by Wilders, the equivalent of the UK's British National Party led by NIck Griffin, both of whom aim to undertake widespread mass repatriation/ejection of non-Dutch, non-British nationals from their respective countries....such a move would be completely unthinkable in this country, the UK, to be quite honest...the whold idea is totally alien to the British mindset.

It is for this reason that the Dutchman Wilders has constanbtly been refused entry into the UK by the UK Border Agency on the order of the British Government, in spite of his fellow EU credentials, normally allowing automatic entry in the UK.

Wilders has decreed that he will eventually be allowed into the UK should the British National Party gain and appreciable number of seats in the European Parliament once the pan-European results are announced on Sunday night/Monday morning - the BNP held some in the previous one, all of them in some metropolitan areas of the UK containing large numbers of immigrants, the votes coming from certain disaffected sections of the electorate who are opposed to immigration into the UK, mostly of the non-white ethnic groups, therefore confirming their racist views.

Yesterday also saw local elections in many parts of England...England only on this occasion.... and results are currently coming in from all those areas, and the present Labour Government appears to be suffering a meltdown, losing council seats left, right and centre, with the Conservatives taking control of all counties previously held by Labour, or the Liberal Democrats in some instances - such as Essex, Hampshire, Devon, Somerset, Bedfordshire, Derbyshire, Staffordshire and Lancashire, with Nottinghamshire coming pretty close and no party is in overall control there by a whisker.

The Conservatives are set to adopt a much more hard line policy on immigration into the UK, and this is pretty much reflecting what is happening over in the Netherlands, hence the swing to Wilders' party, but in the UK the Conservatives are not anything like as extreme as the British National Party, which has also gained a council seat at Burnley, in Lancashire, which has a very high Asian population.

The British National Party is generally expected to gain seats in the UK in the new European Parliament, but we shall have to see how things pan out with that one...the BNP draws most of its support from the more "working class" sections - but the term "working class" is now ridiculously out-dated - everybody who earns their own living by the mere act of doing any kind of job whatsoever in return for payment is "working class" surely. The Queen works for her living as Head of State of this country, therefore she is "working classs" just like the rest of us.

If you need to classify jobs in this way then maybe the terms "white collar" and "blue collar" are pretty much self explanatory in this context.
Guest   Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:45 pm GMT
The Queen works for her living as Head of State of this country, therefore she is "working classs" just like the rest of us.

LOL
infidel   Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:38 pm GMT
<<I think burkhas should be banned if the face is concealed,>>

I sort of like the idea of wearing burkhas, especially if men (infidels included) are also allowed to wear burkha-like disguises. That way, you could hide your identity, and be out in public at the same time.

I suppose, wearing burkha-like coverings should be prohibited while driving, etc.
K. T.   Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:32 pm GMT
I don't have a problem with head coverings for women if the women are in their own country. But what's the reason for it? Modesty? Or are the men unable to control themselves? If so, these men should not be allowed to immigrate to places where women dress "immodestly" and that includes Islamic countries where women show their faces (like the ad on antimoon) in public. Too logical?
K. T.   Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:44 pm GMT
I really don't have a problem with women wearing head coverings in the US as well, but is the US or the Netherlands really the right place for people who disagree to a strong degree with the local culture?

How much accomodation should employers make for issues related to religion? If the muslim person gets prayer time during work hours, should Christian and Jewish people get prayer time too? What about Buddhists? Meditation time? I don't know about Hindu or Sikh practices, so I didn't mention them here (I know a lot of people from India drop in at antimoon)?
Travis   Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:34 pm GMT
In more recent years it seems that a lot of Muslims have settled here in the South Side of Milwaukee (whereas I am from the West Side of the Milwaukee area myself, and had seen practically no Muslims in Real Life before I went to UW Madison, where there are a good number of students who are Muslims), and it seems to be extremely commonplace for Muslim women to wear hijab. However, though, it is practically always just in the form of simple headscarfs and you rarely see anything along the lines of burqas or niqabs, which you almost exclusively see being worn by more radical converts to Islam here rather than by people who had grown up as Muslims. At least here, the biggest reason for wearing headscarfs and like seems to simply be a matter of openly identifying as Muslims rather than the influence of any more conservative or extremist sorts of Islam (and there appears to be very little in the way of very conservative or extremist Muslims here, unlike in many places in Europe).
Travis   Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:37 pm GMT
And no, a lot of the things which are apparently big issues in Europe with respect to Islam are not issues here in the first place.
doper   Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:22 pm GMT
"...Lancashire, which has a very high Asian population."

You mean they do drugs?
K. T.   Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:56 pm GMT
I have only seen a burqa once in the US-In Chicago. Mostly I see the scarves and hijabs. The latter look rather fashionable.