Sample of my accent. How do I get rid of it?

Brazilian   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:07 pm GMT
Here's the sample
http://www.antimoon.com/temp/brazilianguy.mp3

What things do I need to do, to sound more like a native speaker. What problems are there with the accent?
Ben   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:15 pm GMT
Difficult to explain. I didn't know you could put audio files up here, but if someone's willing to host mine (I notice yours is hosted by antimoon) then I'd be happy to put up a recording of myself reading out the exact same text so that you could see where the differences are.

Ben
Albert   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:20 pm GMT
<<Difficult to explain. I didn't know you could put audio files up here, but if someone's willing to host mine (I notice yours is hosted by antimoon) then I'd be happy to put up a recording of myself reading out the exact same text so that you could see where the differences are.>>

You don't really need to have the audio files hosted by antimoon. You can post one here without it being hosted by antimoon.
Ben   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:22 pm GMT
Yeh, but I don't have anywhere else for them to be hosted either. That's the problem ;)
Ben   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:39 pm GMT
I'm a native from London, and have never come into contact with a brazilian accent before. Here's what I heard of your recording after a couple of listens:

"When I passed her on the staircase as I was going down to breakfast I felt her ......hand than ever I had felt her..........
and felt rather than saw that the .......

was not lost to my companion then I dressed myself for the dinner party and was off"

That may give you some clues as to which words need more work concening pronunciation. Don't be disheartened though :)

If you write out the words, I'll make a recording and try and find somewhere to host it.

Ben
Boy   Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:56 pm GMT
Ben,

Create a free yahoo account and save your file in yahoo briefcase. Then share your yahoo id and password with us so that we can download the file from there.

That is one solution or otherwise search free hosting sites on the net.
Ben   Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:24 pm GMT
Boy, thanks for the help, will do. Can anyone fill in the blanks of the text so that I can read it out? Thanks

Ben
Albert   Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:12 am GMT
You need to work on pronouncing your ''breakfast''. It sounded like ''brakfast'' when I heard you say it.
Roger   Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:56 am GMT
Brazilian, could you post the transcription of your passage. Or perhaps some of you natives could fill out the gaps. Ben would like to make the recording of his voice. I’m anxious to hear him.

Brazilian, you sound fairly well to my non-native ears except for those areas which Ben marked as gaps in his efforts to transcript your tape. I failed to make out those areas, either. You are probably not too far away from the near-native forms. Once the gaps are filled out I’ll try to read the passage out loud. However, my pronunciation is a bit worse than yours, Brazilian.
Sakae   Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:09 pm GMT
When I passed her on the staircase, as I was going down to breakfast, I thought her more like him than ever I had thought her; and I felt, rather than saw, that the resemblance was not lost on my companion. Then, I dressed myself for the dinner party, and was off

It is David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
HI   Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:21 pm GMT
in"files hosted by antimoon",what does the word "host"mean?
Ben   Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:02 pm GMT
Ok, I've done the recording. go to: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc//home and sign in as:

caponben@yahoo.co.uk

using the password: gaeilge

Then go to the file called 'recordings' and the file is named as 'brazilliandickens'

Ben.
Ben   Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:03 pm GMT
Comments welcomed ;)

Brazillian, I hope that's a hope to you, and whoever else sees this.

Ben
Ben   Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:11 pm GMT
Yikes, that should be ".....I hope that's a help to you....."

Ben.
Pete   Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:17 am GMT
You're accent is cool. Would anyone explain some characteristics of it?