Why learn English?

Edward Teach   Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:10 am GMT
Nice one, Johnny. Well said, mate.
idiotA   Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:50 am GMT
Ooh, an Aussie!
G'die, Mite!
I heard that the American and British look down on Aussie English.
english hater   Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:38 am GMT
Yes, inglish is impurtunt AND usefoul, very mutch so. And yet even so, I still waipe my ass on it! Lol!
Edward Teach   Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:15 am GMT
I'm not actually australian........
idiotA   Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:34 am GMT
A New Zealander then...
Edward Teach   Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:04 pm GMT
No, I'm English. And anyway whats difference does it make?
idotA   Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:17 pm GMT
Nope. It doesn't make any difference. The Aussie seem to use 'mate' a lot. And they pronounce it 'mite'.
Edward Teach   Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:38 pm GMT
See? your knowledge was increased through learning English.
I accept your apology for your foolish comments.
idiotA   Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:55 pm GMT
Accept my apology? Did I ever apologise?

Yeah...Maybe it's time I apologised. I have to admit I was just making fun of you guys. I don't hate English. I like English. It's just not possible to learn a language you don't like. Most people fail to learn a language because they simply don't have enough dedication and enthusiasm. Unfortunately, they usually put the blame for their failure on the difficulty of the language. I believe every language is both difficult and easy.

And one more thing. No, I'm not in the least ashamed of my native language. My native language is Mandarin, but I'm not from China.
Damian London E14   Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:50 pm GMT
Every individual whose native Language isn't English has the right to choose to learn it or not to learn it for reasons besat known to him or her. It's as simple as that. My guess is that the vast majority of such individuals right across the Non-English Speaking World choose to learn it, again for varioius reasons to suit their own personal circumstances.

Obviously some will do so with more relish and enthusiasm than others, and some may well feel obliged to do so as there's no getting away from the fact that in the great big here and now a working knowledge of English is now highly advantageous, and dare I say it essential, nowadays.

Although numerically more people may speak Chinese as a native Language, for example, than do English that is because China contains such a massive population in the billions, but in global terms, economically and industrially and commercially, English is far and away the most prominent Language, at the present time at least.

Again, everybody has the right to regard English in favourable terms personally for whatever reason in in whatever way, or on the other hand they can view it in highly unfavourable terms, for whatever reason. It's their choice.

Personally I love English to bits.....it gets me through each and every single day...I would never be seen or heard without it. All my friends, family and colleagues feel just the same way.

Now I can fight my way homeward.....
Edward Teach   Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:35 am GMT
Fair enough mate, you seem to be a decent person after all.

I have every sympathy with you for your resentment at being forced to learn something you didnt want to learn.
Not everyone benefits from learning English.
But you never know, one day in the future it just might prove useful to you. Speakin another language is always an admirable talent.
Good luck in the future ok?
Long John   Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:47 am GMT
<<Personally I love English to bits.....it gets me through each and every single day...I would never be seen or heard without it. All my friends, family and colleagues feel just the same way. >>

Wow! You must have masturbated on English a lot!
Bill   Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:12 am GMT
To Edward Teach,

I thought you died about 300 years ago. Do you still operate in the Carribean?
Edward Teach   Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 pm GMT
That wasn't me, it was a wannabe-Blackbeard.
No, I dont raid ships in carribean very often these days.
Somalia is where its at now.
marwa sh   Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:35 pm GMT
I love the english language, if you cant speak it you are an out sider to this world . it is fun to speak it , I am from libya in case you dont know where that is , it is in africa.