Why learn English?

Damian London SW15   Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:03 pm GMT
Drop an R and add a B and you get it right - Caribbean!

A beautiful sea - pity about the hurricanes but there you go....every Paradise has it downsides.

Marwa sh: I shall be in Libya for a few days next November doing a piece on the Roman sites there. I think everybody knows where it is!!

Your English appears to be quite good by the way....don't forget your capital letters though - English, Libya, Africa......and it's "outsider - a single word will do.
Bacterium   Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:17 am GMT
I remembered another reason to learn English. I lived in a country where everything American is worshipped and America is looked up to like the Noble Country where Everything is Good. Well, learning English and interacting with English speakers is a great way to educate oneself in the realities of the world, you can find out that by learning English the "sugar-coating" is washed away and American society is exposed as nothing great at all, and Americans are not so wonderful but many of them are morons like the ones you pass begging on the street, only slighty richer. You will see what it is like to live in a decaying nation and a decaying people and it will expand your mind and understanding of the darker sides of humanity. You will have a new respect for your own nation and realise it's not so bad, and that America is even worse in many aspects.
Edward Teach   Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:25 am GMT
In other words in teaches you to reject other cultures on the basis that they are different from your own?
It teaches you blind nationalism?
You truly are a bitter little man aren't you?
Amoeba   Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:58 am GMT
Bacterium,

I couldn't agree more! You're my idol!
Edward Teach   Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:00 am GMT
Posting under two different names is pathetic.
Amoeba   Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:21 am GMT
Edward Teach,

I feel so sorry for you. Is it really that hard for you to tell the difference between Bacterium and me? But then again, you could hardly tell the difference between a question and a statement...so what can I expect?

Bacterium's English is obviously better than mine. He writes in one single paragraph. His writing style is so different from mine... See the difference now?
Edward Teach   Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:25 am GMT
If you are so aware of the differences it sounds like you made them.
By the way, you did make that statement.
But then you are from inferior lineage, I cant blame you for your incompetence.
Amoeba   Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 am GMT
Are you talking about this statement,

"I guess they will be able to do that the day the English see that they, the English, themselves are a load of arrogant self-conceited shit." ?

Well, that was a response to your provocative question,

"Can the Chinese ever grasp that people think their poetry is a load of boring shit? "

Remember?

Now, you're pointing the finger at me. Typical!

<< If you are so aware of the differences it sounds like you made them. >>

Suit yourself!
Edward Teach   Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:57 am GMT
Exactly, I was reffering to the boring, homo-erotic poetry of the Chinese.
Not the people themselves.
You on the other hand show a clear hatred for the English.
What is it like being wrong all the time?
Dont you have any friends who could help you out?
hmmmmm. most likely you dont.....
<nickname removed>   Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:43 pm GMT
<<Americans are not so wonderful but many of them are morons>>

I am sure there are other idiots like you somewhere in the world that would think the same of your nationality. Yours is just an opinion, and a low-quality one. My opinion is that YOU are the moron, and I suspect it's a higher quality opinion than yours.