Bag v.s. Sack

Rick Johnson   Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:04 pm GMT
<<Well, we have dairies, Rick, but we keep cows in them. ;)>>

Same in Britain! If you visit a dairy for groceries, some nice doctors will give you a jacket with lots of straps and your own padded cell.
Terry   Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:10 pm GMT
<< I would call the woman serving you "the bird at the till"! >>

LOL. I can't get over all those English birds. Do they fly?

<<at least to me, "supermarket" sounds more like a marketing-type term rather than a term that I actually hear people in Real Life use much. >>

Travis, We use it all the time on the east coast, well at least where I've lived. But I agree it does sound like a marketing term and probably started out that way. Did you notice Rick said, in England department stores are often called Maga stores or shops. I can't picture a Mega shop as I always think of shops as little places. But "Mega" is a marketing term used here that hasn't caught on in everyday usage. "Super" apparently has if only in the places where mjd and I've lived.
Tiffany   Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:23 pm GMT
<<Super" apparently has if only in the places where mjd and I've lived.>>

Caught on in my little corners of paradise. All four of them: Miami, FL, Boston, MA, Manchester, NH and the San Francisco Bay Area, CA. Or at least no one looked at me strangely when I said "supermarket". I've used "grocery store" too, probably less then "supermarket" but it doesn't sound strange to me.
Rick Johnson   Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:42 pm GMT
<<Did you notice Rick said, in England department stores are often called Maga stores or shops. I can't picture a Mega shop as I always think of shops as little places.>>

It was actually someone under the guise of "guest" that said it, but I agree with your point that shops are small. I would call a larger shop a store personally.
Rick Johnson   Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:48 pm GMT
In order of size smallest to largest

shop....store.....supermarket.....department store
Terry   Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:27 pm GMT
<<In order of size smallest to largest

shop....store.....supermarket.....department store>>

Now I diffferentiate between department store and supermarket. In my mind they're completely different. A supermarket always sells food, like Winn Dixie. A department store sells non-food items like clothes, jewelry and household goods, like dishes, a place like Macy's. Although of course the super Wal-Marts exist, and they carry both food and non-food items, but I suppose I just think of Wal-Mart as an overgrown junk shop.

I do call the smallest shops, well, shops and store would be next up for me too.
Travis   Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:27 am GMT
I too strongly distinguish between supermarkets and department stores, for the reasons that Terry set out above. And yes, Wal-Mart *is* an overgrown junk shop IMNSHO.
Terry   Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:08 am GMT
<<I too strongly distinguish between supermarkets and department stores, for the reasons that Terry set out above. And yes, Wal-Mart *is* an overgrown junk shop IMNSHO.>>

Ah, finally Bston and Milwaukee agree on something! :)
Guest   Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:35 am GMT
Walmart LOL pssssh you think thats a junk shop? Try our British version Tesso.. Walmart would be the posh version of Tesso.

Sometimes I think you Americans can take abit too much for granted =P
Candy   Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:20 am GMT
Tesco, not Tesso.
Terry   Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:41 am GMT
<<Walmart LOL pssssh you think thats a junk shop? Try our British version Tesso.. Walmart would be the posh version of Tesso.

Sometimes I think you Americans can take abit too much for granted >>

Wal-Mart? Posh? You can't be serious.
american nic   Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:50 am GMT
That Tesso place must really suck... here a bag is a bag, a sack is a very large, rectangularish paper bag you use to carry home your purchases from Macy's or Marshall Field's. And by the way, the vowel in those two words is different.
Lazar   Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:04 am GMT
I think for me, a sack would have to be made of cloth.
Tiffany   Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:38 am GMT
Same as Lazar. Definitely made of cloth... usually large.
Terry   Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:31 pm GMT
<<Same as Lazar. Definitely made of cloth... usually large. >>

I'm with Tiffany and Lazar on this. I think of the paper and plastic bags they give out in the stores as "bags." When I think of "sack" I think, a big cloth bag, like a sack of feed.