Bag v.s. Sack

Graeme   Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:51 pm GMT
Tesco's weren't as bad as Gateway. Is that still around over there? Used to work for them.
I've heard sack and bag used in America, but as mentioned earlier to emphasise an amount sometimes even just monetarily or to mean more than one bag. As in, "I got a whole sack a groceries" as opposed to "pick up a bag of groceries on your way home, would ya".
Anyone else agree?

BTW Sack is often used as a derogatory term in Scotland (and northern England) to mean idiot. And "bagged' in New England I have heard used for getting laid!
Lazar   Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:06 pm GMT
<<but as mentioned earlier to emphasise an amount sometimes even just monetarily or to mean more than one bag. As in, "I got a whole sack a groceries" as opposed to "pick up a bag of groceries on your way home, would ya".
Anyone else agree?>>

No, I don't think I would use "sack" in that sense.
Terry   Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:25 pm GMT
<<And "bagged' in New England I have heard used for getting laid! >>

LOL. I'm from there and I haven't heard that one.

I've heard "sacked" for getting fired but "bagged" for "laid" no. Still laughing...
Terry   Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:27 pm GMT
<<but as mentioned earlier to emphasise an amount sometimes even just monetarily or to mean more than one bag. As in, "I got a whole sack a groceries" as opposed to "pick up a bag of groceries on your way home, would ya". Anyone else agree?>>

Now that you mention it Graeme, I might use it that way.
Graeme   Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:38 pm GMT
Maybe just in Providence, Terry. It's probably something made up either regionally or even just by a group:
"I bagged this sweet chick last night..."

And yes, getting the sack is used in Britain for fired, where as 'sacked' here refers to the Patriots before Tom Brady and a good offensive line ( ie Drew Bledsoe).
Uriel   Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:11 am GMT
Terry, you need to go rent "Sixteen Candles" and listen to Anthony Michael Hall confess to Molly Ringwald, in the car scene, that "I've never bagged a babe."
Lazar   Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:25 am GMT
<<"I've never bagged a babe.">>

That makes me think of some Victorian-era adventurer talking about how many tigers he bagged over in India. ;-)
Terry   Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:35 am GMT
<<Maybe just in Providence, Terry. It's probably something made up either regionally or even just by a group:
"I bagged this sweet chick last night..."

That may be it, Graeme, but it still sounds funny to me. I don't know why, I guess because I think of "bagging" someone as maybe putting a bag over their heads.

<<And yes, getting the sack is used in Britain for fired, where as 'sacked' here refers to the Patriots before Tom Brady and a good offensive line ( ie Drew Bledsoe). >>

The dear old Patriots.:) I'm not at all a sports fan but still I have a soft spot for the old teams. It's absolutely contagious in Boston.

<<Terry, you need to go rent "Sixteen Candles" and listen to Anthony Michael Hall confess to Molly Ringwald, in the car scene, that "I've never bagged a babe."

Uriel, well I haven't seen that one but I'm just going to have to do it now.:), if for no other reason than to laugh at the expression. Did this movie take place in New England, BTW?
Uriel   Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:24 am GMT
Oh no, it's a John Hughes film -- and all John Hughes films took place in the fictional city of Shermer, Illinois, right? Except for Ferris Bueller's Day Off, which mostly happened in Chicago (although Ferris and Co. had to drive TO the Windy City in the "borrowed" Ferrari -- perhaps they did live in Shermer after all!)
Rick Johnson   Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:32 pm GMT
<<Walmart LOL pssssh you think thats a junk shop? Try our British version Tesco.. Walmart would be the posh version of Tesco.>>

Actually, Asda is the British version of Walmart because Walmart owns Asda- all the marketing bumf is the same! In fact the Asda megastores are call "Walmart" in this area.
Rick Johnson   Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:34 pm GMT
Climbing collections of mountains over a certain height is known as "bagging" in these parts.