The vowel in ''car'' and ''cart''.

Felix the Cassowary   Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:40 am GMT
I know Jim—I didn't want to rehash it, just being provocative.
Lazar   Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:41 am GMT
And his characters tend to make rare phonemic distinctions:

- Don from Wales distinguishes between "pane" [pe:n] and "pain" [p{In].
- Al from New York distinguishes non-rhotically between "father" [fA:D@] and "farther" [fA@D@].
- Joe from Eastern New England distinguishes rhotically between "horse" [hOrs] and "hoarse" [hors].

And as Kirk pointed out on one of those Unilang threads, this person seems to have a real interest in English dialects. It's a pity that he has dedicated his linguistic potential to the service of the Dark Side (as it were).
Kirk   Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:09 am GMT
<<And as Kirk pointed out on one of those Unilang threads, this person seems to have a real interest in English dialects. It's a pity that he has dedicated his linguistic potential to the service of the Dark Side (as it were).>>

Yup, sadly there'd be no problem with most of the topics he presents, if he would just stop pretending to be people he wasn't. For instance, instead of saying "I'm _____ from _____ and I have ________ merger/split" he could just introduce the topic and say "I'm not from there but I think _______ is interesting--anyone from _______?" There's no reason to make up fake names but he keeps on doing it regardless.

I thought he had the chance to change after his apology on Unilang but as I mentioned before it was apparently only because he'd been caught--he didn't stop his ways.
Jim   Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:31 am GMT
Wait a minute ... Are we talking about the same person? ...

:smirk)

Funny that. Yes, I was about to say the very same thing. So many different names but always the same game: "I'm from here I speak like this ..." He's also keen on spelling reform. He seems to like posting spelling reform proposals just so that he can pretend to be someone else for whom the proposal would not work.
Kirk   Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:40 am GMT
<<Funny that. Yes, I was about to say the very same thing. So many different names but always the same game: "I'm from here I speak like this ..." He's also keen on spelling reform. He seems to like posting spelling reform proposals just so that he can pretend to be someone else for whom the proposal would not work.>>

Yes, and those "responses" often come only minutes after the original post, refuting it all too well for someone who only had two minutes to write up a response.
Jim   Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:28 am GMT
Yes. And that facination with L. Craig Schoonmaker.
eito   Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:00 am GMT
http://www.geocities.com/sswordday/

L. Craig Schoonmaker's respellings are sometimes moderate and sometimes extreme. Anyway, he surely makes peeple think. His home page is updated every day. What a hard work!

What do you think of <Wine Wensday> and <Food Friday>?
Guest   Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:59 pm GMT
eito   Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:25 am GMT
>>This person also tends to do a lot of plagiarism.<<

Do you also mean SpaceFlight?
Kirk   Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:57 pm GMT
arsehole
Kirk   Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:07 pm GMT
Um, trying to attract attention to yourself by impersonating others is pretty lame. That wasn't me above.
Jim   Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:37 am GMT
This page is a candidate for speedy deletion.

If you disagree with its speedy deletion, please explain why on its talk page or at Wikipedia:Speedy deletions. If this page obviously does not meet the criteria for speedy deletion, or you intend to fix it, please remove this notice, but do not remove this notice from a page that you have created yourself.

Please consider supplying a reason for deletion using {{db}} or one of the other speedy deletion templates, instead of using this template.

Administrators, remember to check if anything links here, the page history (last edit) and any revisions of CSD before deletion.
Travis   Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:40 am GMT
>>This page is a candidate for speedy deletion.<<

We should all assume that this is not the real Jim, considering that someone also posted this very same thing under my name earlier tonight.
Jim   Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:11 am GMT
I can comfortably assume that it's not the real Jim as I have no recollection of posting that.
Kirk   Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:22 am GMT
<<We should all assume that this is not the real Jim, considering that someone also posted this very same thing under my name earlier tonight.>>

Yes, the SpaceFlight troll sometimes copies and pastes things from Wikipedia and puts them here as "posts" (like the one that kept on popping up a few months ago about how "people who don't <cot-caught> merge need to get their ears checked" or something like that--straight from a Wikipedia talk page).