Monday

Rud   Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:43 pm GMT
When i looked up in a dictionary for the word Monday,
i found that it's supposed to be pronounce mVn day,
but it should be pronounce mA:n day, which way pronounce you
this word,
please tell me where are you from
Kirk   Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:56 pm GMT
What do you mean by "should" be pronounced? Most, if not all English speakers, have [V] (whether it be the North American [V] or the British [V] or the Australian equivalent [6]) as the first vowel in "Monday." I'm not aware of any dialects with [A(:)] there. I personally pronounce it ["mVnde(I)]. I'm a native speaker from California.
Jim   Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:45 am GMT
Like Kirk says it's /"m6nd{I/ for me: same as everyone else (except for the accent).
Brennus   Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:17 am GMT
The short u (V) sound in English as in 'cut' or 'must' is hard for many non-English speakers to pronounce. I can see where an English pronunciation guide for Russians might give the pronunciation for 'monday' as mAn:day because it is the closest way that a Russophone person can pronounce it.
Ekko   Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:25 pm GMT
Englsih isnt phonetic, which means words usually dont sound like they look.
Rick Johnson   Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:27 pm GMT
Usually pronounced "munday" unless you're from London where "u" sounds are closer to an "a" sound!
JJM   Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:43 pm GMT
"Englsih isnt phonetic, which means words usually dont sound like they look."

I believe you actually mean English spelling isn't "phonetic."

English is, of course, just as "phonetic" as any other language.
Chamonix   Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:41 pm GMT
"English is, of course, just as "phonetic" as any other language"

JJM,

I don't agree with you. English is NOT a phonetic language.
Otherwise we would pronounce exactly like it's written or by following pronounciation rules like in Romantic languages, for exemple.
Travis   Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:52 am GMT
Chamonix, you're confusing matters of orthography with languages themselves. There is no such thing as a "phonetic" versus "non-phonetic" language, as it's really the orthography of said languages which is being spoken of, not the languages themselves. Note though that most so-called "phonetic" orthographies are actually phonemic, *not* phonetic, as a phonetic orthography would indicate the usage of different allophones in writing, whereas a phonemic orthography would not indicate the usage of different allophones of any given phoneme in writing.