Is modern Greek very difficult?

waa   Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:13 am GMT
Is modern Greek very difficult?
Guest   Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:14 am GMT
Some are.
POSIXON   Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:38 am GMT
It's a whole heck of a lot harder than English.

Surely, you must have heard the expredssion: "It's all Greek to me."
szep   Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:52 am GMT
Well, I started learning modern Greek last year and I gave up not because it was too hard but unfortunately I didn't have time. I hope I'll study it in the future. It's a wonderful language. The grammar is not that easy but its pronunciation is as easy as the Spanish one.
waa   Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:44 pm GMT
yes,"It's all Greek to me." hahaha~~
I think not only the grammar ,but the pronunciation is difficult.
It's hard to recognize the characters.
matko   Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:19 pm GMT
The pronunciation and the Greek alphabet are not the same thing. You must of heard that before, right?

The pronunciation is just like Spanish with some differences. In Greek there's no ñ/ll. The orthography is a bit more complicated in Greek. I think if you can pronounce everything correctly in European Spanish/Italian, there shouldn't be bigger problems.
blanche   Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:36 pm GMT
the Greek pronunciation is far easier than the Italian one: Greek has got only 5 vowels, it lacks of double consonants and various consonants like Spanish. The most similar language to Modern Greek is European Spanish. Besides it shares lots of sounds with Spanish: X, c/z, s
matko   Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:38 pm GMT
omg...not again, please!!!!!
everyone's sick of Italian vowels wooow
maa   Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:46 am GMT
So,do you mean Greek is as easy as spanish?
Guest   Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:06 pm GMT
Greek does not have Spanish LL and thus is easier than Spanish. It's impossible for a Spanish student to learn to pronounce true LL properly.
blanchette   Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:16 pm GMT
Spanish student to learn to pronounce true LL properly

This is ridiculous, most spaniards don't pronounce that LL properly either! because anciant LL sound is old-fashioned and in South America yeismo is widespread.
maa   Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:28 pm GMT
How about the grammar?Greek also is as easy as spanish?
maa   Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:33 pm GMT
How about the grammar?Greek also is as easy as spanish?
baum   Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:49 pm GMT
Spanish grammar isn't easy at all. Greek has cases but Spanish verbal system is probably harder
waa   Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:00 pm GMT
Of course ,spanish is not easy,but I have studied it for many years,so it's not so hard to me now.
But I wonder is the Greek harder than the spanish.I mean the case,the verb conjugation.