How do native speakers decide if it's countable or not?

Super Korean   Fri May 08, 2009 3:50 pm GMT
Unlike Asian languages, English has strict concepts about singular and plural nouns.
As a non native speaker of English, I've found there not many logical explanations to decide whether it's countable or non-countable.

For example, "mail" is uncountable but "email" is countable.
"socks, pants, shirts and bras" are all countable but "underwear" isn't.
"paper" is not countable but "newspaper" is countable.

How do native speakers judge if a noun is countable or not?
And when a new word is introduced(such as "email", "internet"), how do they decide if it is countable or uncountable?
Charles   Fri May 08, 2009 4:09 pm GMT
It's IE thing, not just English.
Leasnam   Fri May 08, 2009 5:38 pm GMT
<<How do native speakers judge if a noun is countable or not?
And when a new word is introduced(such as "email", "internet"), how do they decide if it is countable or uncountable? >>

You have to think about it logically. There is no strict rule. Some things are collective, like 'Mail' (i.e. "letters, packages, deliverables, etc"), others like 'Email' can be both:

You can get email (collective); and you can get *an* email (single). The meaning is different with both.
You cannot usually get *a* mail (i.e. a letter)

So ask yourself, is the item in this context a single unit? or is it one of many? because sometimes it can be either or.
---   Fri May 08, 2009 7:49 pm GMT
We don't decide anything. That's just the way it is. I had no idea that there was a difference between countable and uncountable nouns until I began learning about languages and stuff. You just say whatever is natural.
osmotee   Sat May 09, 2009 1:19 am GMT
It's just one of those things that sinks in by osmosis over the years and decades. From what I gather, annoying features of other languages sink in the same way:

subjunctive/indicative
impefect/preterite
tones
Chinese characters
T   Sat May 09, 2009 5:16 am GMT
Haha, Chinese characters don't "sink in". They're learned, arduously.
Robin Michael   Sat May 09, 2009 6:21 am GMT
A native speaker

I was recently drawing a distinction between 'advise' and 'advice', one of which is countable and the other is not. Having the internet at my disposal, I then looked up 'advices' to see if there were any exceptions to the rule.

ad·vice
Pronunciation:
\əd-ˈvīs\

Function:
noun

http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/advices

ad·vise
Pronunciation:
\əd-ˈvīz\

Function:
verb

Inflected Form(s):
ad·vised; ad·vis·ing

http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/advise

I am not entirely sure what 'inflected' and 'transitive' / 'intransitive' mean?

However it is clear at least that 'advice' is a noun, and 'advise' is a verb.

I know that there is a problem around advise/advice, (two different spellings). Probably when I was younger, I often confused them. So, how can I remember the difference.

'advice notes'

Citizen's Advice

are two common examples of the word in use.

It is easier to think of examples of a noun. (There is another similar distinction between 'licence' and 'license'?????)

The noun license (licence in British spelling)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License

So, it really is quite confusing. Possibly if you go to a good school the teacher will point out the difference to you.
Robin Michael   Sat May 09, 2009 6:30 am GMT
A native speaker

If you study 'Law', part of the study involves the use of 'legal terms', how words are used.

Intellectual property

A licensor may grant license under intellectual property laws to authorize a use (such as copying software or using a patented invention) to a licensee, sparing the licensee from a claim of infringement brought by the licensor.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License

(In this entry in Wikipedia some idiot has entered some rubbish:

Aj is so dang awsome in the american land with the indianapolise colts license under intellectual property commonly has several component parts beyond the grant itself, including a term, territory, renewal provisions, and other limitations deemed vital to the licensor.)
Robin Michael   Sat May 09, 2009 6:40 am GMT
a native speaker

If you look carefully, you will notice that this is an area of difference between English English, and American English. (and yes, someone in America did ask me; Do people speak English in England?)

Oxford English Dictionary

Licence (noun) License (verb)

http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view=searchresults&freesearch=licence&branch=&textsearchtype=exact

licence

(US license)

• noun 1 a permit from an authority to own or use something, do a particular thing, or carry on a trade. 2 a writer’s or artist’s conventional freedom to deviate from facts or accepted rules. 3 freedom to behave without restraint.

— ORIGIN Latin licentia ‘freedom, licentiousness’, from licere ‘be lawful or permitted’.

license

(also licence)

• verb 1 grant a licence to. 2 authorize.

— DERIVATIVES licensable adjective licenser (also licensor) noun.

— ORIGIN from LICENCE; the spelling -se arose by analogy with pairs such as practice, practise.
feati   Sat May 09, 2009 2:17 pm GMT
None of your posts are relevant to this topic, Robin Michael. This thread is about the difference between countable and uncountable nouns. "Advise" is a verb. You should think before posting.

Super Korean asked a question and wants an answer. What you did is, you steered the thread in a completely different direction so that no one wants to post in it anymore. Super Korean is lucky to have already gotten a good answer from Leasnam.

P.S.: Any verb form that's not an infinitive is called "inflected". Transitive verbs take an object, intransitive verbs don't.
a corrector   Sat May 09, 2009 2:37 pm GMT
Correction:
You should think A LOT before posting!

Emphasis:
A LOT!
Robin Michael   Sat May 09, 2009 7:40 pm GMT
What I hoped to do, was to show that the English language is a mystery to a lot of English people and that English people are constantly making mistakes. So, how do English people know the difference between countable nouns and uncountable nouns. Because people like 'feati' and 'a corrector' take great delight in correcting them.

Is 'advice' countable or uncountable? Your advise please!

If you look at the link that I posted:

http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view=searchresults&freesearch=licence&branch=&textsearchtype=exact

This link takes you to Oxford.com

One of the topics is 'Commonly Misspelled Words'.

So, how do English people learn how to write and speak English correctly? One way, is by using a site like Oxford.com

I do not think that my contribution was irrelevant or unhelpful.
a corrector   Sat May 09, 2009 7:59 pm GMT
1. I was not correcting you Robin Michael, I was correcting feati. NOW I'm correcting you.
2. Your contribution is irrelevant and unhelpful because the topic is about COUNTABLE NOUNS and all you do is chit-chat about this and that.
Robin Michael   Sun May 10, 2009 4:22 am GMT
"a corrector"

The problem with the English Language, is there are a lot of people who like to 'correct' other people. Rather than focusing more on 'meaning'.

There is another word for 'a corrector': Philistine!

What is wrong with developing a line of thought. I appreciate what Leasnam Fri May 08, 2009 5:38 pm GMT wrote: (See below)

Countable and Uncountable Nouns

There are other examples, such as 'sheep'. People see 'sheep' in a flock. They do not consider 'a sheep' as an individual item. The construction 'a sheep' is wrong.

Individual sheep are wee lambs, rams or ewes.

sheep n. , pl. sheep

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

<<How do native speakers judge if a noun is countable or not?
And when a new word is introduced(such as "email", "internet"), how do they decide if it is countable or uncountable? >>

You have to think about it logically. There is no strict rule. Some things are collective, like 'Mail' (i.e. "letters, packages, deliverables, etc"), others like 'Email' can be both:

You can get email (collective); and you can get *an* email (single). The meaning is different with both.
You cannot usually get *a* mail (i.e. a letter)

So ask yourself, is the item in this context a single unit? or is it one of many? because sometimes it can be either or.
insolence   Sun May 10, 2009 4:39 am GMT
<<The construction 'a sheep' is wrong. >>

No, it's not wrong, or if it is then the wrong version is used widely. Almost everyone who doesn't live on a farm would say "a sheep" if for example, a sheep suddenly ran past his house in the city.