What's your English accent like?

CyberGhost   Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:42 pm GMT
LOL :) Sorry about that! Hope it works this time.

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/ms00145546/untitled.mp3.html
Liam   Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:17 am GMT
If American pronunciation was what you wanted to achieve, you've done well. It is quite clear, and the underlying accent is slight.
Michelle   Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:40 pm GMT
Here is mine:

Recording: http://www.sharon-tate.com/00-para.mp3
Accent I learned: Standard American English (like the one spoken in CNN).
Country of origin: USA (I have lived in the midwest (Chicago) all my life)
Native language: English
I can also speak a little German and I come from a Russian/German background. My grandfather had a german accent. I can also speak some Yiddish.
I think I have an EXTREMELY nasal sounding voice. I cannot hear it in normal conversation but others often tell me I am a typical midwesterner. I am an elementary school teacher and also have a degree in English and can pronounce things well I believe. I just always have had the midwest accent. On this audio piece I tried to sound as "normal" (whatever that is) as possible.
What is the name of the accent that basically all the newscasters and CNN people use? They seem to have no regional sound whatsoever.
Michelle   Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:42 pm GMT
Cesar, I have to say I adore your accent. My uncle was from Columbia nd his spanish accent was always so amazing and beautiful sounding to me. I especially like the way you said "newspaper" as news paper. Thanks, this was a fun idea!
Kirk   Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:46 pm GMT
CyberGhost, I agree with Liam. Nice recording :) Michelle, thanks also for your recording--I could hear some hints of Upper Midwesternness in your speech, which is cool. One of the things I particularly noticed was your pronunciation of "past" as the diphthong [e@], which is characteristic of much of the Upper Midwest but not done here in California.
nana   Wed May 03, 2006 10:45 pm GMT
i would to learn english, specialy how to talk with people , and when i am in the interview to get the job, i found its to hard to talk in english
Pete   Thu May 04, 2006 12:47 pm GMT
<<My uncle was from Columbia>>

It's Colombia, I assume. And now that you mention it do you like Spanish accents?? Aren't they a bit harsh? Because with the Spanish 'r' and 'rr' people with a strong Spanish accent pronounce the English 'r' in various ways. The flapped 't' and 'd' in American English also causes confusion for us because of it's similarity with our 'r'. At first, it's quite unconceivable for us to pronounce a 't' or 'd' like 'r', in our view of course. Then We get used to it all with some practice.

That's why some people decides to study some variety of British English, usually RP. And then, one feels completely shocked when we discover there are no t's but it's all glottal stops and some flapped t's in a vast group of English accents in England.
Not to mention the 'British English' stuff, they think that Everyone in Britain speaks with the same accent, or quite similar at least. In fact people in South America are not quite sure about what is Britain, in fact. Is it only the island? is it various countries? is it the same as England?
Most people tends to think it's just England, I reckon.

Regional accents that are modified towards RP English are very cool.

RP 'COCKNISED' accent rules!!!

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Pete   Thu May 04, 2006 12:54 pm GMT
<<That's why some people decides to study some variety of British English, usually RP.>>

Well, sometimes. To be honest, people hardly ever decide to take English English, but when they do; they need to look for a proper place where they offer this variety English for a very long time.

I think it should be called 'Commonwealth's English' and not 'British English' which is innacurate nor 'English English' which sounds very akward. Since there is a grammar model, and similar pronuncation patterns in all of the countries belonging to the commonwealth, that should be a proper name, 'Commonwealth's English'.

'British English' sounds cool though. lol
cynthia   Fri May 05, 2006 1:48 am GMT
i need help with an english accent!!! i have to do it for an english project next week, i've been practicing by watching movies and shows in which people have english accents but i still can't seem to get it right!!!

and i live in Texas, so you can imagine what i must sound like. LOL
Chris   Fri May 05, 2006 2:02 am GMT
>> I think it should be called 'Commonwealth's English' and not 'British English' which is innacurate nor 'English English' which sounds very akward. Since there is a grammar model, and similar pronuncation patterns in all of the countries belonging to the commonwealth, that should be a proper name, 'Commonwealth's English'. <<

Hmm. But Canada is part of the commonwealth, but the accent is nothing like the others...
Guest   Fri May 05, 2006 8:09 am GMT
>I think it should be called 'Commonwealth's English' and not 'British English'>

It is in fact called Commonwealth English. Canada pays lip-service to it, at least in respect of spelling and grammar, but the other Commonwealth countries still use standard English, with only minor variations.
Guest   Fri May 05, 2006 8:24 am GMT
Canada might pay lip service to it but the Commonwealth countries provide full fellation, like a minor unable to get off the teat once and for all.
Gabriel   Sun May 14, 2006 10:18 pm GMT
Kirk   Mon May 15, 2006 12:16 am GMT
<<Here's my sample: http://www.filefactory.com/?8e5904>>

Hmm...nothing loads when I click on it. It goes to a page but there's no file there. Just ads.
Kirk   Mon May 15, 2006 12:17 am GMT
Gabriel, have you tried putfile.com? That's a good site for uploading files like that.