What's your English accent like?

B-radG   Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:34 am GMT
Ceasar,

Ah, I see now, my apologies. I wasn't thinking clearly. I thought of Spanish as just another English speaking accent like Australian, Southern, Britain, ect. To go from an entirely different language, to a Standard American accent is a different story. Sorry about the confusion, I have to clear my mind ...
Caesar   Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:43 am GMT
you should, b-radG

Take a bath, have a hot tea and rest in a tropical forest.:)
B-radG   Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:44 am GMT
I'll get right on it. ;) (BTW, is there a way to register here, or no ... ?)
Uriel   Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:04 am GMT
No. And you can't edit your posts either. Once it's up there, it's up there.
B-radG   Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:24 pm GMT
Well that kind of ... stinks. That means someone can just go around imitating me, and post hurtful things and such. Hopefully someone wouldn't sink that low, but you never know. Anyways ... does anyone know how I can get these things to work, or do they not like me? It must just be me if everyone else can get them to work. On another note, does anyone know a site I could go to do record my voice? (that doesn't require downloading of any kind) Or do I have to do it with an actual recorder, and transfer it onto the net ... ?
Uriel   Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:40 am GMT
Oh, impersonations happen all the time, I'm afraid.
Tiffany   Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:08 am GMT
Sander and I are really high on that "List of People to Impersonate" You can usually tell it's not by the said person because of language it contains whether that be bad English or something else.
Uriel   Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:28 am GMT
Or if they suddenly start spouting things that are totally out of character -- it's probably a troll.
Guest   Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:18 am GMT
"What's your English accent like?"

Neutral is the best description; vowels as written, non-rhotic, no dropping of Gs or Hs.
Uriel   Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:21 am GMT
Hehehe -- EVERYONE thinks they're pronouncing vowels as written!
esameldin   Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:08 am GMT
i need a big help to reduce my accent
Travis   Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:04 am GMT
>>Hehehe -- EVERYONE thinks they're pronouncing vowels as written!<<

And most everyone thinks their accent is neutral as well. Well, at least here in North America outside of the South and many inner city areas that is.
Kirk   Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:25 am GMT
<<And most everyone thinks their accent is neutral as well. Well, at least here in North America outside of the South and many inner city areas that is.>>

Yup--most people assume they're "neutral"--only when we travel to different places in North America are we told we have accents. Or in my case when I studied abroad I was in a program with a lot of Americans from places I had never really known people from before--we had an interesting collection of accents, from the upper peninsula of Michigan (the "weirdest" in my opinion), the South, the Northeast, the West Coast, and everywhere in between.
CyberGhost   Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:15 pm GMT
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

http://a01.bestsharing.com:81/45512/FiBnLXOkX5D3iXrDmLAOhR9/untitled.mp3

"Somewhere, a long way from here, there are two islands.

On the first island, everyone can speak English. English is not the native language of people from this island. Every person on this island has a broken accent. And they all have a similar accent, they all speak with the same broken accent. When they talk in English among themselves, they can always communicate easily.

People on the other island can also speak English, and English is not the native language there, either. On this island people also have a broken accent, and they all have the same broken accent. When they talk in English among themselves, they can always communicate easily. But the accent here is very different from the one on the first island.

Sometimes two persons from the two islands meet and try to communicate. Their native languages are different and they have to use English. So when they meet, they try to communicate in English. And they are always surprised that they cannot. People from the first island cannot understand the accent of the second island. And people from the second island do not understand the accent of the first island."
Jim C, York   Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:21 pm GMT
To be honest you may aswel be talking about Britain and Ireland with a few minor changes to the story! lol ;)

The link is broken so im not sure what you are talking about, but it is an interesting story.