What's your English accent like?

Roger   Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:48 am GMT
César, many thanks for keeping correcting me in my efforts. Believe me or not I do not know how come that the folder happens to be empty even though I put up the file in it. I put it in the ‘My recording’ folder. I reckon that this may be the case when going to the site, directly because I’m still able to access it by signing in. I will therefore give you my 1/ password: starpol and 2/ Yahoo ID: chrosna

I hope you can sign in to my Yahoo Briefcase, either. Please, go to http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc//home Then sign in. In order to access the Yahoo briefcase, type the password and Yahoo ID, respectively.

I did it myself many times and was able to download the file. If God forbid something goes wrong again, I will choose to go to another site. And again many thanks for taking care. I really appreciate it. It can be that I’m not good at handling all these Internet-related matters and that causes so much trouble.

Roger
César   Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:10 pm GMT
Hey, man! You started with a lot of energy!! Hehe. :)

From my perspective, you sounded very natural toward the end of the recording (I went to University...). I found it well paced and cool (it's my point of view, of course :P).

The kind of intonation that you showed in the beginning is useful when you want to emphasize things.

Overall I find it to be very good.

Cool!!!
Roger   Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:41 am GMT
César, I’m writing to thank you for helping me with my speech samples. Your tips are really valuable. It is much harder for a non-native speaker of English, still living in his home surrounding to acquire near-native pronunciation. And you’ve done it. So let me therefore say it again that I really appreciate your help. I have an idea I’d like to share both with you and others. I will post it below very soon.

Roger
Franco   Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:42 pm GMT
All I can say is that my english accent is very good.
Guest   Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:47 pm GMT
Not others are bad. .....
Kazoo   Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:45 am GMT
It's like a Canadian accent.
Roger   Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:00 pm GMT
I’m now speaking to all non-native posters. I mean all of you who have come to the Forum with the recordings. I’m wondering how you -- Ben, Sho, Samson and others -- are getting on with practising on your voice samples you have already posted in this thread? How about keep improving and posting the very same samples as long as you get an "approval" from the natives (and /or others), saying that your ‘reading voice’ sounds, nicely and near-natively. I find working on English pronunciation to be an on-going process of gradual improvements. It is very hard for a non-native learner to speak the language properly right from the beginning (no matter how smart he or she is). It takes some time. I believe that by practising the very same passages and posting them for assessment, one can be sure about his own fluency at least in these passages. So if you sound well when reading the phonemes from your samples you will certainly be found to sound well, when reading the same phonemes from other texts. What do you think? Could you comment on this or give other thoughts?
Paul N.   Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:38 pm GMT
This is a good idea of putting up one's own recordings in here. I’ll try to do it next time. Roger asked a good question and was left unanswered. Come on you guys... Give some feedback.

Paul N.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:07 pm GMT
**What's your English accent like?**

Corstorphine Edinburgh Scottish
lost prince   Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:29 am GMT
ı look for a girl friend myadres: lostprince27@hotmail.com mymobile 0538 452 9350
Guest   Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:02 pm GMT
"ı look for a girl friend myadres"
Wrong place.
Vince   Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:10 pm GMT
i want a australian accent
Borders   Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:09 am GMT
How are you folks getting the audio samples on here (the links?).

I'd like to stick my accent on here (a broad regional english accent), so show jusy how accented and coloured the English language can be in it;s home setting :-)

Thanks
Travis   Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:49 am GMT
We're getting audio samples on here by hosting them on various places where we have files hosted (for example, in my case, on a server at UW Madison), and then simply providing links to those files. Consequently, to put files up, you will have to get something to post them with; examples for services to just host individual files, rather than hosting just entire sites, include http://putfile.com/ , for example.

As long as I'm posting in this thread about hosting my own audio example, one of mine is at http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/~bemann/audio/speech_example_1.mp3 , which is an example of something approximating my everyday speech (in the local dialect here in the Milwaukee, WI area), while trying hard to not fall into a reading voice (note that it, for example, is far less clear when recorded than my reading voice). Note that I have already posted a link to this on Unilang, so it is the same as my most recently linked audio sample on there.
David   Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:11 pm GMT
Ok, I don't know if this will work but here is a link to a sound file containing my accent.

My accent is a "North East English" accent, commonly known in the UK as a "Geordie" accent. (Few agree where the word Geordie comes from, many say King George IV who apparantly loved the region and it's women ;-)

My 'Geordie' accent is quite mild compared to some. I struggle to understand some people in this area and I was born here!

http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0A4W7S3VTA9T8252VGCHOADLG3