How does modern Hebrew sound to non-Hebrew speakers?

Woozle   Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:38 pm GMT
The question is, to what extent can modern Hebrew speakers understand the written Torah?
lucien   Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:46 pm GMT
<<The question is, to what extent can modern Hebrew speakers understand the written Torah? >>

It is fairly understandable to native modern Hebrew speakers, though many words are no more in use and biblical syntax is extremely different and far more semitic.
I believe that for native Hebrew speakers, the biblical Hebrew is less understandable than Shakespearean English for today English speakers, but I'm not sure about that.
Leonora   Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:36 pm GMT
>>It is fairly understandable to native modern Hebrew speakers, though many words are no more in use and biblical syntax is extremely different and far more semitic. <<

That's interesting. I imagine the reason might be that most of the original modern Hebrew speakers, who consciously 'revived' the language were native speakers of different Indo-European languages, so the way they spoke was automatically influenced by Indo-European grammar. There must be tons of linguistic studies on the development of modern Hebrew - it's such a unique case.

As to the original question, I do like the sound of Hebrew. To my ears, it does sound a bit harsh and somehow 'masculine' (because of the gutturals, I guess), but at the same time very musical and rhythmic - almost like percussion sometimes.
lucien   Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:13 pm GMT
<<That's interesting. I imagine the reason might be that most of the original modern Hebrew speakers, who consciously 'revived' the language were native speakers of different Indo-European languages, so the way they spoke was automatically influenced by Indo-European grammar>>

I can give you a simple example that shows what I mean:
Let's take the following sentence: "Moses went to the mountain."

In modern Hebrew we use the same sytax as in English: "Moshe (=Moses) halach (+went - past tense) La-Har (=to the mountain)."

In Biblical Hebrew they used a coordinating conjunction + verb in future tense to describe an action occured in the past. The same sentence would be then like that: Va-yelech (=and he will/shall go) Moshe (=Moses) el (=to) Ha-har (=the mountain).

Although syntax is extremely different, every Israeli would understand the biblical sentence.
Leonora   Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:48 pm GMT
Thanks for this illustration. I imagine the Torah example, while understandable, will sound 'archaic' to modern Hebrew speakers (which, of course, is kind of 'appropriate' for a religious text). Interestingly, albeit in a shorter time, Hebrew seems to have developed in ways similar to modern Romance languages, which have also lost the flexible word order that is still there in Latin.
IJN_Nagato   Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:25 am GMT
When I watched 'Noddle' a Hebrew movie, I thought it's French... But actually it was Hebrew!
Lucien   Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:10 am GMT
<<When I watched 'Noddle' a Hebrew movie, I thought it's French... But actually it was Hebrew!>>

What you say sounds a bit weird. As one who speaks both I can tell you that the sounds of these languages are so different. French is extremely nasal and has far more complex vowel system. Hebrew isn't nasal at all and has a very simple vowel system consisted of only 5 vowels (a, e, i, o, u). Similarities could be found in the way that both Israelis and Frech pronouce "R".