Dutch Tongue Twisters / tongbrekers

Sander   Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:50 pm GMT
Ik heb een vraag an je, de geen taalvraag is, maar toch over Nederland is en in nederlands:
Is het waar wat Feyo Schelto Sixma Baron van Heemstra in zijn boek "Roman Hagois" schrijvt, dat koning Willem 3. zijn eigen vader, koning Willem II, schoot onder en wilde party op paleis Het Loo en dat zijn dode lijkam dan naar Tilburg gebracht worde, wo er offiziël overled?

(Som alltid Jeg retter Deres Hollandsk ,Vil De gjør det samme med mitt norsk? :-)

"Ik heb een vraag aan je,deze is geen taalvraag ,maar over Nederland gaat en in het Nederlands is:

Is wat Feyo Schelto Sixma Baron van Heemstra in zijn boek , Roman Hagois, schrijft waar? Dat Koning Willem de derde zijn eigen vader,Koning Willem de tweede ,doodschoot op een wild feest op paleis Het Loo?En dat zijn dode lichaam toen naar Tiburg is gebracht waar hij officieel overleed?"

I'm not sure what to think Frederik, I've heard the story as well and I think that Willem III (King Gorrilla) was capable to do such a thing... but such a big event with so many witnesses... and so little people who have mentioned it ... Anyway if it's true then it's part of the Dutch state secrets and , a fact like this will never be revealed. (to compare the 'accidents' of Prince Bernard will be given to the public over 175/200 years)

Aren't we the liberals? ;-)
Fredrik from Norway   Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:15 pm GMT
Thanks Sander, for the correction and for the information!

You wrote:
(Som alltid Jeg retter Deres Hollandsk ,Vil De gjør det samme med mitt norsk? :-)

This is very good, even though you write rather antique old Danish-Norwegian! I am very flattered that you adress me in the polite form (De), which today is only used by 80-year old upper-class fossils from the Best West of Oslo!

In contemporary Norwegian it would be:
Som vanlig (=usual): Jeg retter din nederlandsk / hollandsk; vil du gjøre det samme med min norsk?

If mijnheer de baron is right, then I think it´s outrageous that the Dutch public don´t know! Van Heemstra writes that many servants were witnesses, but were bullied into keeping their mouths shut under threat of the death penalty! But in the 1930s two farmers, whose mothers had worked on Het Loo, blackmailed queen Wilhelmina for money, using this information!!!

Norwegian tongue-twister:
ibsens ripsbusker og andre buskvekster.
(=Ibsen´s red currant bushes and other bush plants.)
Sander   Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:20 pm GMT
It would'nt have mattered anyway.Because in the Netherlands the Royal family is above the law ... so he couldn't be convicted anyway. :-)
Fredrik from Norway   Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:59 pm GMT
No need to convict him: shooting a king to death just because he was interrupting your orgy is so amusing it should be made public!!!
peter   Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:29 pm GMT
Doe dikke domme drent das doe die doem drinkt dat dut die de dood
Buurvrouw zei:   Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:45 pm GMT
Dagzeeze buuvzeeze magzeeze ikzeeze vanzeeze joezeeze eenzeeze kopzeeze görtzeeze lainnzeeze wantzeeze danzeeze kanzeeze ikzeeze mienzeeze kienderzeeze watzeeze tezeeze vreetnzeeze geevmzeeze enzeeze ikzeeze zelzeeze dezeeze görtzeeze mörnzeeze weerzeeze anzeeze joezeeze trugzeeze geefmzeeze aszeeze ikzeeze noarzeeze grutterzeeze westzeeze benzeeze dankzeeze tmörnzeeze
Fredrik from Norway   Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:10 pm GMT
Norwegian tongue-twister:
Du din dumme dommer, hvorfor dømte du denne dumme dom?
(You stupid judge, why did you pass this stupid sentence?
bubba   Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:35 am GMT
I've heard for years of this one, though I can't remember the original source...I think it was from a Nederlander, though. I was, I was told, a sort of "test"-tonguetwister, like one mentioned earlier in this thread. That is, it was a sort of "passcode" used by the Dutch during World War II to help sort out those who were endemic Netherlanders from German operatives posing as such. The part I remember is the phrase "...the eighty-eight lovely canals of Amsterdam", which in Dutch (I'm an English/German/Bairisch speaker, so correct me if this is misspelled, please) is:

de achtentachtig prachtige grachte van Amsterdam

Supposedly, the rapid-fire series of gutteral consonants helped "weed out" those who were not native-born speakers of the language. (For non-Dutch speakers, the word "gracht" sounds like XrahXt, where 'X' stands for the gutteral consonant sound equivalent to, but stronger than, the German 'ch' in 'Ach!" or the Scottish 'ch' in 'loch' (lake).

A favorite in Spanish goes something like this:

He, compadre! Compreme coco!
No, compadre! No puedo comprete coco, porque que poco coco compro, como!

(Hey, friend! Buy me some coconut!
No friend, I cannot buy you any coconut, because what little
coconut I buy, I eat!)

Another in German:

Eine alte Eule sitzt unter einer alte Ulme
(An old owl sits under an old elm)

--This one is somewhat difficult for non-German speakers because of the rapid-fire use of glottal-stops, which makes for a sort of "bumpy" pronunciation, even to the practiced speaker, rather as if riding down a rough gravel road while trying to talk!

I'm not a professional, just a guy who LOVES languages and travel--so feel free to make any corrective statements needed in kind and gentle fashion! Thanks for letting me post!
Sander   Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:12 pm GMT
=>I've heard for years of this one, though I can't remember the original source...I think it was from a Nederlander, though. I was, I was told, a sort of "test"-tonguetwister, like one mentioned earlier in this thread. That is, it was a sort of "passcode" used by the Dutch during World War II to help sort out those who were endemic Netherlanders from German operatives posing as such. The part I remember is the phrase "...the eighty-eight lovely canals of Amsterdam", which in Dutch (I'm an English/German/Bairisch speaker, so correct me if this is misspelled, please) is:

de achtentachtig prachtige grachte van Amsterdam <=

Yep a way to detect (non-native) spies although I believe the sentence was 'Scheveningse scheve schoenen' (I'd have to see 'Soldaat van Oranje' again).It looks simple but apperantly it is impossible for non-natives to say...
bubba   Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:09 pm GMT
Also, another REALLY difficult one for me in my own native language:

"red leather / yellow leather"

...on the surface, it seems simple, but I find it very difficult to repeat quickly several times. I suspect that the softer final 'r' of British pronunciation might make it a bit easier for them, not sure. Americans and Canadians find it very hard. Can't even begin to speak for the Aussies/Kiwis, though!
Lidewij   Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:17 pm GMT
antoher dutch one:
knaap de kapper knip en kapt heel knap, maar de knecht van knaap de kapper knipt en kapt nog knapper dan knaap de kapper knipt en kapt.
Guest   Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:25 pm GMT
I found a website with tongue twisters and their translations: http://www.uebersetzung.at/twister/index.htm
The Swede   Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:05 pm GMT
I have a new Swedish one
"Jag har visst mist mitt klister sa Krister till sin magister".
Ren   Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:25 am GMT
I'm quite interested if you have any Finnish ones?
The Swede   Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:19 am GMT