to all English-Speakers! (who speak English everyday)

Guest   Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:46 pm GMT
how do you react when someone call you?

English-Speaker?
Anglophone?
Anglo-Saxon?
Anglophile?
Laura Braun   Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:45 pm GMT
Confident
The Swede   Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:56 pm GMT
I suppose that they don´t care so much about if people call them Anglo-Saxon or English speaker or something else, I think only disparaging nicknames makes people upset.
Indian   Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:03 pm GMT
I agree with Laura Braun. I feel proud and confident
Candy   Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:28 pm GMT
<<I suppose that they don´t care so much about if people call them Anglo-Saxon or English speaker or something else, I think only disparaging nicknames makes people upset.>>

Exactly.
Damian in Scotland   Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:38 pm GMT
I haven't ever been in a situation when I have had to think about it...as far as I remember nobody has ever directly referred to me in any of those terms.

I speak English as my native every day Language in a country where everybody does the same, so that obviously makes me an Anglophone, and that's the end of that point.

I could well be thought of as Anglo Saxon purely on my appearance, but I know full well that I am not. I'd rather think of myself as Viking in heritage.

As for being an Anglophile......that's a tough one for a Scot. Some of my best mates are English, living in different parts of England, and in spite of my posts history in this Forum, some of which may have been construed as being "anti- English" in tone and content, this is not the case. England is a great country and I've had some really great times there ever since I started at uni, and since I've left. I love crossing the Anglo-Scottish border in either direction (well, maybe a sort of 70/30 ratio in favour of Caledonia!). So in spite of snide references to long dead historical events and "anti-English banter", I reckon I must be a closet Anglophile.
Rick Johnson   Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:00 pm GMT
<<I could well be thought of as Anglo Saxon purely on my appearance, but I know full well that I am not.>>

How do you know? The Angle kingdom of Northumbria stretched up to the Firth of Forth at one time. Link to map below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ShepardMap802Northumbria.PNG
Candy   Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:01 pm GMT
And where I come from was part of Strathclyde! :)
Uriel   Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:13 pm GMT
how do you react when someone call you?

English-Speaker?
Anglophone?
Anglo-Saxon?
Anglophile?

Well, I AM an English-speaker, so that's just a statement of fact.

Anglophone is just a fancy term for "English-speaker", so ditto on that.

I'm not ethnically Anglo-Saxon, so calling me one wouldn't be particularly appropriate. You would get a raised eyebrow from me if you called me that.

Anglophile means someone who is deeply interested in and enamored of the people and culture of England, so that wouldn't particularly apply to me, either.
Travis   Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:38 pm GMT
>>how do you react when someone call you?

English-Speaker?<<

Business as usual.

>>Anglophone?<<

You could have just said "English-speaker".

>>Anglo-Saxon?<<

Sure... and I can trace my ancestry back to Alfred the Great too...

>>Anglophile?<<

Sorry, but I'm not one of those who goes gaga over the sound of polished conservative RP. That said, I don't really have that much of an opinion on the UK, positive or negative, besides that English-people who think they "own" English or who seem to insist on thinking as if modern American culture were an extension of their own are supremely irritating, especially when they speak of one single "correct" English.
Rick Johnson   Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:06 pm GMT
<<And where I come from was part of Strathclyde! :)>>

Yep, part of the same Kingdom as Glaswegians and Damian is in what used to be the same Kingdom as me in Manchester. The Scots were English and the English were Scots or something like that!!
JJM   Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:21 pm GMT
"English-Speaker?"

Fine - I am one.

"Anglophone?"

See my last.

"Anglo-Saxon?"

Puzzled because I'm not.

"Anglophile?"

Sure. I like England and the English seem OK to me.
Rick Johnson   Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:25 pm GMT
From a personal point of view it's interesting because it shows:
i) Why Scotland speaks English- language spread from SE Scotland outwards rather than from England into Scotland.
ii) A division between East and and West Scotland which survives today in friendly (usually) rivalry between Glasgow and Edinburgh.
iii) Why I can understand people from Edinburgh and not from Glasgow
iv) A clear division between the North, Midlands and South in England which is still as apparent today as it was then!
Pete   Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:28 pm GMT
<<English-speaker?>>

I'd feel proud of it.

<<Anglophone?>>

Just the same as above

<<Anglo-Saxon>>

I'd feel uncomfortable, I'm not one.

<<Anglophile>>

I have a strong sense of what I am and what I am is a Peruvian Anglophile, I love England, I love English culture and the English history. And as you may have noticed I love the English language. I also like English people, although some of them don't deserve to be liked, but anyway.
Cro Magnon   Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:31 pm GMT
"English-Speaker?"

Yup!

"Anglophone?"

Ditto.

"Anglo-Saxon?"

I'd probably scratch my head over that. I'm of mixed ancestory, but no British.

"Anglophile?"

Not really, but at least they speak a decent language. Too bad they won't learn American. :-P