to all English-Speakers! (who speak English everyday)

Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:20 pm GMT
Rick...actually you are absolutely correct in what you say. This part of Scotland (south of the line from the Forth to the Clyde which includes Edinburgh) was part of the Kingdom of Northumbria, and the English Language as it later became spread to these parts long before anywhere else in Scotland.

As for the "division" between this city and Glasgow...the two cities have always been friendly (most of the time....sort of) rivals throughout history, and yes, even now. Of course people from outside Scotland don't have problems understanding us in Edinburgh like they do with Glaswegians which, as I've said lots of times in here before, is harsher and broader. But this IS the Capital of Scotland (which Glasgow, being the larger of the two, has always resented...sort of) and we have to keep up an "image"...... LOL

In spite of our historical enmities of the past, I DO like England a lot. So I stick by my Anglophile assertion. I had a fantastic time in Milton Keynes a few months ago...it's quite a happening city! Like this one is...
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:37 pm GMT
It's good to see the sub-division Lothian on that map. This area is still called Lothian.

They used the spelling Bamborough I see (English spelling)....on the east coast south from the (present day) Scottish border. Perhaps that's how it was spelt in those days (802 AD!) but it's Bamburgh now (with the Scottish form "burgh" instead of the English "borough"...obviously the Scottish influence later on!).

The castle at Bamburgh is absolutely amazing, towering on its rock over the seashore, as is the whole coast up beyond Lindisfarne and all the way round to Edinburgh. Part of the main railway line from Edinburgh to Newcastle literally runs alongside the shore at times north of Berwick.

Thanks for that link, Rick.