on/in my mind

guest   Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:05 am GMT
"you are always on my mind."
"What did you have in mind?"

I'm curious to know, when it comes to one's mind, what's the difference between "on" it and "in" it.

Thanks for your comment.
runCDfirst   Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:42 am GMT
Hi,

Here's how I think about it:
if there's a motion then I use 'on' but If there's no motion 'in' is preferred.
For example, ' I have so many suspicions arousing in my mind', in this phrase there's a motion that makes you think more about the thing you have doubts about. the suspicions are making a tornado inside your mind, they're moving! Another example,'At this moment, I have some childhood memories flashing on my mind', in this phrase also there's some kind of motion in your mind. There are flashes and they're on and off!. Last Example, 'you are always on my mind.', in this phrase I want to say that I always think about you and many things about you come to mind when I do that. Therefore, each thing makes another thing come up so 'again' they are moving.
However, ' what did you have in mind?' indicates that you've made the plan and that's it. There's nothng moving in your head after that. Another example, 'I have a brilliant idea in my mind', you have the idea and it's frozen in your mind, it's in your mind but doesn't move.
I know this sounds some kind of 'silly' for some of you but it does help me alot. I hope this can help you and of course the final word is for the native speakers to tell us the right thing about in/on+mind.

thank you.
Brennus   Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:18 am GMT
A related Antimoon thread:

http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t611.htm
guest   Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:40 pm GMT
Thanks, runCDfirst; Thanks, Brennus. I'll keep your words in mind.