what are the practical steps to speak english fluently

Pete   Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:14 pm GMT
<<i use a way in speaking which is translating my native language into english but this is not a lot.Is it helpful way or i must stop it????>>

Dear Leena,

Translating one's language into English is not a good method, it's actually a weekness. Every English student has a period during his studies when thay can only translate from their native language into English. That's not good, especially if your language is too different from English, like in my case (Spanish) or yours (Arabic). As those languages are entirely different you'll find some expressions or ways of saying things that cannot be just translated into English, but they have to be interpreted.

I'll show you:

Spanish: "Me voy para la casa. Tengo que prepararme la cena yo mismo"

English (literal translation): "Me go for the house. Have to prepare me the dinner I the same" (WRONG)

English (interpretation): "I'll go home. I have to make dinner by myself" (CORRECT)

I speak Spanish and translating literally is not very helpfull as you see. Is best to learn the correct way of saying something in English rather than tranlating like that. And for that purpose, you are almost obliged to learn a bit of grammar and practice a lot with native-speakers.
Try to give up this habit of translating. When you think of an action or something, don't think in your own language and then tranlate. When something comes to your mind, think of that idea and find the way of saying it in English. Otherwise you'll be a slave of translations. YOU HAVE TO THINK IN ENGLISH!.

To start thinking in English you need to practice with little things and then with actions or sentences. For example this: I think of this: :-| I say to myself: face I think of this: :-) In my head I say: That's a happy face.

What would you think of this ;-)

I hope I helped.

Pete
César   Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:15 pm GMT
I support Pete in that respect: do not translate from your native language to English.

I would suggest you get a phrasebook and learn a good bunch of phrases. But!!! Keep in mind that it's best if you have a native English speaking friend who can show you how to pronounce the phrases.

Start using the phrases on a daily basis (at least mentally, but do it) so that you get used to associating phrases with general ideas that you have. That might help you disconnect your native language and start thinking in English.

After getting used to that for a good while (give it something like 5-6 months) then start learning English based on a bit of grammar and lots of vocabulary. A textbook could be helpful.

But always have someone to guide you when it comes to pronunciation. Written English and spoken English are just two worlds apart.
César   Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:16 pm GMT
Pete, by the way, I believe you should say "I have to make dinner myself," not "by myself." At least that's how I would say it.

Any feedback from native speakers?
Tiffany   Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:29 pm GMT
"by myself" is correct and I think I prefer it, though I'd understand what you were trying to say César.

I agree that translating on the fly from your native language to the one you are trying to comprehend is not ideal, but I certainly sympathuze because for awhile you just have to do it and then it's hard to get out of it. I'm not even sure if I can fully think in Italian. I prefer to treat everything as "phrases" at the moment because there are so many things that just cannot be taken or said literally.

And grammar, as boring as it may be, is a necessary evil. When I hear a new word, I will automatically repeat it several times and apply it to anything I can. I also have a habit of taking everything I say in English and translating it to Italian on the spot. Sometimes I wonder if it makes me look crazy though...
César   Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:32 pm GMT
Tiffany, where ya from?
Pravi   Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:06 pm GMT
<<"by myself" is correct and I think I prefer it>>
Sorry Tiffany, I do not feel comfortable using the word "by" before "myself". I hope César was right.....
César   Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:23 pm GMT
Pravi,

I am asking Tiffany where she's from because I frequently speak with americans and many of them do not put that "by" before "myself."

But those I usually speak with live in Maryland state, and have lived there or in Michigan, Virginia.

I don't know, maybe the "by" is used in some regions.
Tiffany   Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:01 pm GMT
I am originally from Miami, FL. I have lived in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and now California. I have also travelled extensively in Canada. So this is the short "history" of my English. Obviously, growing up in Miami has influenced it the most.

I still think Pete's sentence is natural and I'd prefer it. In fact just yesterday, my husband was on the computer in another room and I had just put dinner on the stove. I jokingly called, "Why do I always make dinner by myself?" - meaning I was making it alone.
Larissa   Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:39 am GMT
Personally I think the best way to learn English is to live in an English-speaking country.
(Sorry for the mistakes, I don't speak much English!)
Leena   Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:50 am GMT
Pete
oh i have to memorize the whole movie? i might become an actress one day!! loool..but i will try to stick to magaziens the thing i like..newspapers are boring with these white papers!!!
You know what!! i really suffer from a big slow in remembering these expressions i memorize earlier..this makes me translating my language into english
so i have to find a way of saying it in english..this will take time..oh my god!!!!!ok i will spend much of my time in memorizing lots of sentences..my god what boring days!!lool
thank u pete u were a very helpful girl or boy???
Leena   Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:09 am GMT
cesar
do you know any name of excellent phrasebook
if u know any one who like to be a friend with me for english guide him to me and i will welcome him lol
please guide me to a very wonderful phrasebook u used please!
thank u anyways....
Leena   Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:13 am GMT
thank u tiffany for reply i appreciate
Leena   Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:15 am GMT
Larissa
u brought the whole idea u were right is to live abroad fo a while
but if u cant??? oh my god i want to cry!!!!!!!!!1
César   Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:47 pm GMT
Leena,

I've never used phrasebooks to learn English, but based on information I have read about learning methods I consider that one to be a good way to start.

I will check some books in the Internet or at a local bookstore to see if I can give you a couple of names.

Larissa,

Even living in a foreign country can be very useful, it is not always the case. As a fact, most foreigners never get rid of the "accent" because learning a language is something you have to exercise.

I have met people that have lived in the States for 15-20 years and they still speak with a thick accent and make a lot of mistakes.

Going to another country is useful if your language learning method is solid (at least in your mind).

What d'ya think?
César   Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:51 pm GMT
Terry, you should have sung the song "All BY MYSEEELF !!", hehehe.