what are the practical steps to speak english fluently

Martin   Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:00 pm GMT
Leena,
Which accent do you like most? I mean.. British or American... Which one is easy to understand for you and flexible?
Pravi   Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:06 pm GMT
Leena,

Going abroad is fine. But I remember one of my friend who went to US and then his English turned pathetic. First, he was good in his local accent, then he tried to follow the accent of the Americans. Now he is in a situation wherein neither we nor the Americans can understand his language. But I do not want to comment on Tiffany for the idea of going places. It was just an experience I wanted to share.
Pete   Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:13 pm GMT
I think Triffany is right. Going to different states doesn't complete Triffany's idea. You have to be one of them... i mean... live per their culture...
Tiffany   Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:33 pm GMT
I didn't comment on going places... I'm not sure how that arose. Perhaps because I listed the places I had lived? I want to make it clear that I am a native English speaker - born and raised in the United States.

Now that you mention it though, I think immersing yourself in a language (whether the means travel or not) is a wonderful idea. Going to Italy did a world of good for my Italian. Being forced to understand and speak it all day long was tiring, but at the end of my visit, my Italian had improved very visibily.
Michael Gambon   Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:00 pm GMT
You speak good english, I learn from you.
Larissa   Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:55 pm GMT
me too, I'd love to improve my English and to have some penpals here!
My Hanh   Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:08 am GMT
in my opinion ,to speak English (E) fluently ,we should be patient in practicing step by step. Morever we can take advantage of taling with our friends if we do not have chance to communicate with native speakers. Also ,we should have a habbit of listening BBC programe .And ,be confident !
My Hanh   Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:12 am GMT
in my opinion ,to speak English (E) fluently ,we should be patient in practicing step by step. Morever we can take advantage of taling with our friends if we do not have chance to communicate with native speakers. Also ,we should have a habbit of listening BBC programe .And ,be confident !and must have a good preparation ...
Pete   Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:21 am GMT
You're welcome Leena and I'm a boy.

<<I am asking Tiffany where she's from because I frequently speak with americans and many of them do not put that "by" before "myself."

But those I usually speak with live in Maryland state, and have lived there or in Michigan, Virginia.

I don't know, maybe the "by" is used in some regions.>>

It's not a matter of pronouncing "by" or not. In my opinion guys there is a difference in the meaning. Eg:

I found a needle myself. (the speaker wants to emphasize the fact that he or she found a needle)

I found a needle by myself (the speaker wants to emphasize that he or she found the needle without any help, he or she did it alone)

To me that's the difference in meaning. What do you reckon guys?

>>Pete Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:13 pm GMT
I think Triffany is right. Going to different states doesn't complete Triffany's idea. You have to be one of them... i mean... live per their culture...<<

That wasnt' me. It seems that I'm getting famous here, so some trolls want to use my username. LOL
leena   Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:58 am GMT
cesar
i often get bored from those books which concentrate on learning english,i mean i want to learn english in a funny way,i feel these books or cds are not used in daily life, i cant hear native english people speak like what are written or heared in these items..but in anyways if you have something really useful do type it for me please
but i feel if i can go abroad i might achieve very high improvement in english but i have no chance for this.
leena   Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:03 am GMT
Martin
i love the american accent very very much cuz i can understand it easily and its so flexible and soft more than british which i really get lost in it.
leena   Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:11 am GMT
Pravi
i can agree with u but i see that going abroad is better thousand times than attending to boring classes in an institute that restrict you around books and lab sessions but there you can talk and make friend with many people.. i would bring with me the most important thing which is the elecronic dictionary and i will try to correct my mistakes naturally with no complications
Leena   Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:20 am GMT
i only admire those who speak english non stop and with no mistakes as they born there..they are so bold and confident..i miss these qualities in my character im so shy and hesitated .Will this effect negatively my learning? im afraid i could not achieve my dream of speaking fluently.
Leena   Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:59 am GMT
does any one know where is BOY..? i miss him so much
Mitch   Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:25 pm GMT
Pete's suggestion for watching a movie multiple times until you know it by heart is an excellent idea. John Shalikashvili, former U.S. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, learned most of his English by watching John Wayne movies over and over! (Sitting in a movie theater in the 50s, when the movie would run continuously: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Shalikashvili)

There's an alternative to stopping the film or tediously writing down the subtitles: get a copy of the screenplay. Most American movies have a printed copy of the screenplay available for sale. Check www.amazon.com. Try to get the shooting script, which should mirror the way the movie actually turned out. Then Leena can really become an actress one day!