what makes English Germanic?

Guest   Wed May 02, 2007 12:06 pm GMT
@ I hate spam Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:00 pm GMT
<<Anyway, it's little bit stpuid this argument, as french and english are very close related as well: the Latin languages and germanic ones have *very* much in common!!! >>

<<I fully aggree. Here are three Examples:

A phonetic index is built with the vocabulary of the application.
Ein phonetisches Verzeichnis ist aufgebaut mit dem Wortschatz der Anwendung
Un phonetique index est crée avec le vocabulaire de l'application.>>

Better:

Ein phonetisches Verzeichnis ist mit dem Wortschatz der Anwendung aufgebaut.

Even better, according to context:

Ein phonetisches Verzeichnis ist aus dem Wortschatz der Anwendung aufgebaut worden . . .

Ein phonetisches Verzeichnis wird aus dem Wortschatz der Anwendung aufgebaut . . .

Ein phonetisches Verzeichnis besteht aus dem Wortschatz der Anwendung . . .

To my mind the sentence needs to go on, therefore the three dots.

<<This could be an entire dictionary, or a list of proper names.
Das könnte sein ein gesamtes Wörterbuch, oder eine Liste von Eigen-Namen
Ceci pourrai etre un entier dictionnaire , ou une liste de propres noms .>>

Better:

Das könnte ein gesamtes Wörterbuch sein, oder eine Liste von Eigennamen.

Even better:

Das könnte ein ganzes Wörterbuch oder eine Liste von Eigennamen sein.

<<The searched word is then converted into phonetics and retrieved with its information, if the word is in the phonetic index.
Das gesuchte Wort ist dann umgewandelt in Phoneme und abgerufen mit seinen Informationen, wenn das Wort ist im phonetischen Verzeichnis.
Le recherché mot est alors converti en phonetiques et retiré avec son information, si le mot est dans le phonetique index .>>

Better:

Das gesuchte Wort wird dann in Phoneme umgewandelt und mit seinen Informationen abgerufen, wenn es sich im phonetischen Verzeichnis
befindet.

<<The three sentences above consist of an English sentence and its German and French word to word translation. They are all fully intelligible and almost correct.>>

At least concerning German, you examples are not correct at all. They are intelligible in a certain sense, but if someone would talk to me in this kind of language, I wouldn't like to listen any more after a few sentences.
Sooner or later, there would be misunderstandings or it wouldn't make sense unless you took the effort to think about what the other wants to say.

<<It seem that the Germanic language English is almost the same construction as German and the "Latin" language French - only the vocabulary has to be exchanged and, in French, the position of the adjective and nouns inversed. If French, German and English are so similarly constructed, then either they are all Germanic or all Latin or what? French has a lot of Latin or Greek vocabulary, but it's construction is Germanic and very far away from Ciceros Latin.... >>

What do you want to proove? You can't proove your claims by interlinear translations.