How d u think Chinese wud replace English as lengua franca?

user   Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:53 am GMT
<<Only a western country, or a country under the influence of western culture like Japan, would try to conquer another country and exterminate its people.>>

What about Genghis Khan? He conquered a LOT of land and wasn't western at all.
yep   Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:34 am GMT
<<Only a western country, or a country under the influence of western culture like Japan, would try to conquer another country and exterminate its people.>>

Yeah, and China is becoming more Western as we speak!
Lloyd Pfaff   Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:09 am GMT
<<There would be a huge international outcry if China tried to conquer Papua New Guinea. It's not going to happen, folks. >>

Once China becomes supremely powerful, it could afford to ignore international opinion. I'd guess that China would have to stop relying on exports before starts overflowing its borders, so the resulting trade embargoes don't cause problems.

Did the USSR care much about the opinions of people in Eastern Europe back in the 1940s? How about Germany in the 1939 to 1942 tmie period?
Damian London E14   Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:21 am GMT
***There would be a huge international outcry if China tried to conquer Papua New Guinea***

For some reason Tibet and the Dalai Lama spring to mind here....

Papua New Guinea?.....hmmmm......what if the Chinese decied to go a step further and fancied the idea of taking Oz, too, while they're on a roll?

Nobody threw a hissy fit when the Chinese invaded and occupied the Gerrard Street area of Soho, in the West End of London......it's a veritable Little Beijing cum Hong Kong - even all the street signs/traffic notices etc are bilingual - Chinese characters as well as bog standard English - as well as Chinese style architecture....but there again the fantastic Chinese restaurants of the area make up for the Sino Occupation.
meez   Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:38 am GMT
Don't think Chinese will ever become the lingua franca of the world...

English is already spoken in around the world.
Furtermore, Europe will never accept a non-European language as a dominant lingua franca nor will South America.
India, the other prospective economic powerhouse in the future, has already chosen English. Most African countries are semi English speaking and it's unlikely for them to change that. Even the French speaking ones will not choose Chinese simply because it's easier to learn English for them.
Furtermore, even quite a few Asian countries have chosen English as an official language as well (e.g. Phillipines).

Have I overused the word chosen? Well fuck it :)
Shuimo   Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:56 am GMT
Damian London E14 Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:21 am GMT
***There would be a huge international outcry if China tried to conquer Papua New Guinea***

For some reason Tibet and the Dalai Lama spring to mind here....

Papua New Guinea?.....hmmmm......what if the Chinese decied to go a step further and fancied the idea of taking Oz, too, while they're on a roll?

Nobody threw a hissy fit when the Chinese invaded and occupied the Gerrard Street area of Soho, in the West End of London......it's a veritable Little Beijing cum Hong Kong - even all the street signs/traffic notices etc are bilingual - Chinese characters as well as bog standard English - as well as Chinese style architecture....but there again the fantastic Chinese restaurants of the area make up for the Sino Occupation.

==================

That is bullsh*t!

Are you brainwashed yr brainwashed western/british media?

Didn't Britain invade and conquer Scotland and Ireland and Wales?
Shuimo   Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:58 am GMT
meez Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:38 am GMT
Don't think Chinese will ever become the lingua franca of the world...

English is already spoken in around the world.
Furtermore, Europe will never accept a non-European language as a dominant lingua franca nor will South America.
India, the other prospective economic powerhouse in the future, has already chosen English. Most African countries are semi English speaking and it's unlikely for them to change that. Even the French speaking ones will not choose Chinese simply because it's easier to learn English for them.
Furtermore, even quite a few Asian countries have chosen English as an official language as well (e.g. Phillipines).

Have I overused the word chosen? Well fuck it :)

==============================

There is nothing as "must" but "have to"
The day the US collapses is the end of the English as lengua franca of the world!
meez   Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:04 am GMT
<<
There is nothing as "must" but "have to"
The day the US collapses is the end of the English as lengua franca of the world! >>

Bollocks!
EU   Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:18 pm GMT
I really think that Chinese (Mandarin) will replace English as Lingua Franca. I think Chinese (Mandarin) can be a "Continental Language" like German in Europe. Chinese is mainly spoken in China.(Also in Singapore) Chinese is popular now to do bussines and because is fashion. I know people who told me: What I want is to speak something Chinese to comunicate, I am not interesting in writing.

I think Chinese is and will be a important language. But it wil never be a "lingua franca". It will be important in Asia. (Chinese Language is only Lingua Franca in China. One guy said taht when chinese don't understand eachother use English, this is completly false)

I think in the future will be more than one important language, depending on Economic Areas. One guy whose name is Ralf post on Languages Forum this:

<<I think the languages are going to be important denpending on the ECONOMIC BLOCKS, AREAS OR MARKETS.

The world is changing and in the future people will not talk about countries but talk about Economic Areas, Blocks or Markets.
Some economic areas. blocks and markets:

NAFTA: USA, CANADA & MEXICO --- OFFICIAL LANGUAGES : English & Spanish

EU (European Union): Germany, Holland, Belgium, France, Spain, Italy,...... -------OFFIAL LANGUAGES: Germany, English, French, Spanish, Italian,Portugueses,.......

MERCOSUR: ARGENTINA, BRASIL, URUGUAY, PARAGUAY, VENEZUELA------OFFICIAL LANGUAGES: SPANISH AND PORTUGUESE

ASEAN(Association of Southeast Asian Nations):INDONESIA, MALAYSIA, PHILIPPINES, SINGAPORE AND THAILAND-----OFFICIAL LANGUAGES: ENGLISH

APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation: Australia; Brunei Darussalam; Canada; Chile; People's Republic of China; Hong Kong, China; Indonesia; Japan; Republic of Korea; Malaysia; Mexico; New Zealand; Papua New Guinea; Peru; The Republic of the Philippines; The Russian Federation; Singapore; Chinese Taipei; Thailand; United States of America; Viet Nam.-----OFFICIAL LANGUAGES: ENGLSIH

Caribbean Community (CARICOM): OFFICIAL LANGUAGE: ENGLISH

Greater Arab Free Trade Area (GAFTA):ARABIC COUNTRIES---OFFICIAL LANGUAGE: ARABIC

Central American Common Market (CACM): CENTRAL AMERICA COUNTRIES---- OFFICIAL LANGUAGE: SPANISH

Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA): OFFICIAL LANGUAGE: ENGLISH, FRENCH AND PORTUGUESE

BSEC (Black Sea Cooperation Zone): ALBANIA, ARMENIA, ARZEBAIJIAN, BULGARIA, GEORGIA GREECE, MOLDOVA, ROMANIA, RUSSIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE---OFFICAL LANGUAGE: ENGLISH AND RUSSIAN

ECOWAS (Economic Community of West Africa): OFFFIAL LANGUAGES: ENGLISH, FRENCH AND PORTUGUESE

EAEZ (East Asian Economic Zone): JAPAN, CHINA, KOREA, RUSSIA AND ASEAN ORGANISATION----OFFICIAL LANGUAGES: ENGLISH, CHINESE, JAPANESE AND KOREAN>>

I agree with him.
EU   Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:27 pm GMT
Sorry, I meant: I really think that Chinese (Mandarin) will not replace English as Lingua Franca.
blancish   Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:16 pm GMT
<<The day the US collapses is the end of the English as lengua franca of the world! >>

It's not really the end of English, just the beginning of the end.
Damian London E14   Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:27 pm GMT
***That is bullsh*t!
Are you brainwashed yr brainwashed western/british media?
Didn't Britain invade and conquer Scotland and Ireland and Wales?***

Shuimo:

May I make a suggestion here? I don't know whether or not you've ever been to the UK but from your above reply I would think not....a sense of humour is a pre-requisite here for residency...without it you're a non starter. Sadly the British NHS (National Health Service) does not run to humour transplants yet but as a non resident you wouldn't qualify anyway....you'd have to acquire it of your own accord.

It would have been physically impossible for Britain to have ever invaded Scotland, Ireland or Wales, btw.
Fizz   Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:31 pm GMT
"Millions of Chinese are learning English, but only 24000 Americans are learning Chinese,"

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/zmgx/1/t205822.htm

About 120 million Chinese are learning English. if we are all planning to learn Chinese, maybe we will be wasting our money.
China   Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:41 pm GMT
>> "Millions of Chinese are learning English, but only 24000 Americans are learning Chinese," <<

But how proficient are those Americans that are learning Chinese? My guess would be not very. It's usually only people that major in a language here that can communicate verey well in that language.
China   Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:49 pm GMT
>> I really think that Chinese (Mandarin) will replace English as Lingua Franca <<

<sarcasm>Yes, I can just see a German on a trip to South Dakota speaking Mandarin.