How d u think Chinese wud replace English as lengua franca?

China   Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:58 pm GMT
The same people that think that are the ones that think everyone will have a web-enabled fridge by 1999, and that we will all have personal robots by 2030.
Lengua or Lingua   Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:53 am GMT
Wait a minute! Is English really a lingua franca of the world? I know that many people all over the world study English, but how many of them really succeed in mastering the language? A large proportion of English learners can't even express themselves in simple English or understand simple English. If that's the way it is all over the planet, how true is it to claim that English is the lingua franca of the world?

Do we really need a lingua franca? When a language becomes a lingua franca, it usually becomes contaminated and messed up. This is happening to English right now.
/*-   Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:56 am GMT
Hello everybody,

I think Chinese (Mandarin)will be an important international language, but not a "lengua franca". As one person said before, it would be like German in Europe.

Usually most people who study or will study Chinese are for bussiness. I don't know whether you know that if you work in China the companies have to paid extra taxes if they want to hire a foreigner. Later it is difficult to get a visa. I know a lot of people, even chinese people who have canadian nationality who are working with F Visa (Bussiness-visit Visa) and each 6 months they must renew their visas. Most people go to visit China once or twice in their lives as travellers. It is not cheap to go there for holidays like to go to Spain, France, Italy, etc... in Europe or Mexico, etc.. in America.

Most of the Chinese people who live and work abroad are from South of China and speak their own dialect. (a lot of them are cantonese) Their Mandarin or putonghua are really very bad, even Chinese people from North have difficulties to understand them when the speak Mandarin.

Everybody says that English is the lengua franca, but how many people, who are not English speakers, speak correct English? So if so many people can not speak English correctly, how many people will speak Chinese correctly, when it is so much more difficult than English?

Likely people learn some words and sentenses in Chinese, like everybody knows some sentences or words in English, French, Spanish, German, etc... Or even they can have a base of chinese but not know how to write it.I think for Japan, Korean, Mongolia and SE Asian countries it would be easier to learn Mandarin.

This is my opinion.

Regards.
simpson   Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:54 am GMT
Expansion is still a possibility for China. It can still be done today. As long as you do it in bite sized peices (for example, Russia recently annexed parts of Georgia). Yes, there was an 'international outcry', but no one was willing to risk everything for some puny countries on the other side of the world. Now the conflict is basically forgotten in practical terms. So all China has to do is go step by step and take countries which nobody cares about (that will make it even easier, because Russia actually invaded close US allies). So if China invades Kyrgyzstan or Mongolia who is going to risk nuclear war for these countries? All the West can do is just cross their fingers and hope the Chinese have had enough. Then a few years later the furore dies down and China moves into Nepal, and so on.
Ramsteaen   Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:29 am GMT
Then a few years later the furore dies down and China moves into Nepal, and so on.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, China has done this to Tibet. China has done this to Uyugers. China has done this to the Hmongs. Why does China want to enslave so many people? They also claim that they don't do these things and it's only countries like Japan who invade.
Shuimo   Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:12 am GMT
Damian London E14 Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:27 pm GMT
***That is bullsh*t!
Are you brainwashed yr brainwashed western/british media?
Didn't Britain invade and conquer Scotland and Ireland and Wales?***

Shuimo:

May I make a suggestion here? I don't know whether or not you've ever been to the UK but from your above reply I would think not....a sense of humour is a pre-requisite here for residency...without it you're a non starter. Sadly the British NHS (National Health Service) does not run to humour transplants yet but as a non resident you wouldn't qualify anyway....you'd have to acquire it of your own accord.

It would have been physically impossible for Britain to have ever invaded Scotland, Ireland or Wales, btw.
==========================

What a bare face you have!-:(

Just take off yr hypocracy!

You little englander dare not to confess yr sins and atrocities over the Scots?
Shuimo   Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:21 am GMT
Damian London E14 Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:27 pm GMT
***That is bullsh*t!
Are you brainwashed yr brainwashed western/british media?
Didn't Britain invade and conquer Scotland and Ireland and Wales?***

Shuimo:

May I make a suggestion here? I don't know whether or not you've ever been to the UK but from your above reply I would think not....a sense of humour is a pre-requisite here for residency...without it you're a non starter. Sadly the British NHS (National Health Service) does not run to humour transplants yet but as a non resident you wouldn't qualify anyway....you'd have to acquire it of your own accord.

=============================

British humor??
Shuimo has had enough of such British humor stinking of scuh rampant racism on this forum:http://forums.ec.europa.eu/debateeurope/viewforum.php?f=9

So stinky!
It stinks tens of thousands of kilometers away!-:(
anti-UK   Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:35 am GMT
<<It would have been physically impossible for Britain to have ever invaded Scotland, Ireland or Wales, btw. >>

LOL! That is a good one! You're lucky you were had enough time to annihilate Scottish and Irish culture to the extent that you have, otherwise you'd be oh so hated by them today.
guest   Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:40 am GMT
<<Uh, they've been working on Japanese translators since at least 1945 and they still haven't gotten it right. There are thousands of languages in the world.

Your optimism is great though, I must say.>>

Once general artificial intelligence is developed, it will be able to translate all human languages in no time.
Damian London NW3   Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:49 am GMT
Shuimo:

You've been listening to the BNP again haven't you? Stop it immediately! How fortunate it is for you that you are tens of thousands of kms away!

Anti-UK:

You post was difficult to understand - please re-write it in clearer English. Personally I have no desire to see the Scottish, Irish or Welsh cultures "annihilated". As a Scot myself that would be rather silly don't you think?

As I said before the idea of the British invading Scotland and Wales would be really very difficult indeed to fathom out....both countries are full of Brits already....surely they wouldn't wish to "annihilate" themselves would they?
Vinlander   Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:45 pm GMT
Once general artificial intelligence is developed, it will be able to translate all human languages in no time.
Well Fyi if it every does exist it will be neurontissue genetically engineered to be grafted on microchips.

Anywho no language will ever take English's place in the way it is used today. If mandarin does take prominence it will be more like spanish i think than anything else. Know in specific regions, and probally one of the higher ranekd foreign languages people learn. Actually as far as I can see spanish and mandarin are the only two languages that will be really be learned.

Another question I propose to you is why would someone in Somalia learn English when all there investment comes from HK or beijing plus there the lack of Brutal history with the Chinese in that part of the world.

As far as how China will take over countries it won't be done through the same way as the British. It will be on the American style own everything within the countries get the people to learn the language and there well wtihin your sphere of influence.

You guys have to get into the 21 century mode of thinking. Where hurts expansion. Economics is the way of the modern world. If Chinese discontinue to embrace Capitalism they won't change in the least.

China if it's to succeed with be a Capitalist state. With minimal goverment, it won't be democratic all it will do is keep good bussiness going. There intent if they have any brains at all is to copy H.k. if you don't know it's considered to be the best place in the world at free market capitalism.
guest   Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:54 pm GMT
<<Well Fyi if it every does exist it will be neurontissue genetically engineered to be grafted on microchips.>>

Not necessarily. It's unlikely that neurons are the most efficient form of computation.
China   Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:43 pm GMT
I can't see China as being anything except Communist for some reason. I think it highly unlikely that it will change in the next century. It's not called the "Communist Party of China" for nothing. Changing the oeconomic structure of the country would not be easy.
Curious   Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:44 pm GMT
<<It would have been physically impossible for Britain to have ever invaded Scotland, Ireland or Wales, btw. >>
As I said before the idea of the British invading Scotland and Wales would be really very difficult indeed to fathom out....both countries are full of Brits already....surely they wouldn't wish to "annihilate" themselves would they?

You spoke in past-tense Damien. Then present-tense. So which are you referring to.
Because history clearly states that Ireland, Wales and Scotland were invaded. So, it wasn't impossible.
Though Scotland didn't join with England until King James of Scotland also inherited the English throne, correct?
As for Ireland.. even in America we here about the IRA and their attempts to unite their country again. Not saying it's right, for they are a terrorist organization.
Curious   Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:45 pm GMT
Gah. I meant "hear", not "here".