Which Romance language sounds more Slavic?

Catita   Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:47 pm GMT
O Português é idioma único
//*

Discordo. Português são dois.
Abaixo a Lusofonia

Viva o idioma tupiniquim!
evghenie   Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:53 pm GMT
@ dansk,

"There couldn't be two standard languages that sound more unlike Danish and Swedish. A comparison between some dialects of Swedish and Norwegian would be better. "

You might be right in what you state here but as I said from the beginnig: "it sounds TO ME". That doesn't mean that I'm right. Don't you see, there are people whom Russian sounds like Portuguese to...by having said that, I believe that I'm better on in my approximations, than them.

Take care!
Guest   Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:32 pm GMT
<<<< Thousands of Slavic words were purged from the language and were replaced with their Latin equivalents. It's a historical fact. >>

It's not a fact . No one can just "purge thousands of words " from a language , that never happened anywhere ,god, it's so hard to be more retarded than you. >>

It can and does happen.
Dutch did this with foreign (mostly French and Latin) words.
French did this with non-Latin (mostly Germanic) words, and is still doing it (just ask guest guest. he/she is the boss of this process).
English has done it (to its own Saxon words, replacing them with French ones).
evghenie   Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:49 pm GMT
<<<< Thousands of Slavic words were purged from the language and were replaced with their Latin equivalents. It's a historical fact. >>

Maybe it happnes and it happened but I don't think that this was the case of Romanian language. Who ever is making such statements needs to prove it...

As a russian, I don't understand a word in Romanian whithout using the dictionary...maybe I'm too idiot altough I don't think so as long as I was able to learn 5 languages.
Guest   Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:07 am GMT
<<<< As a russian, I don't understand a word in Romanian whithout using the dictionary >>>>

That's because not even simple sentences can be made with slavic words exclusively. Slavic influence in Romanian is no bigger than Germanic influence over French , or Arab over Spanish.
Overall though ,Romanian does sound the most Slavic out of all the Romance languages, doesn't it?
Guest   Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:25 am GMT
<<Overall though ,Romanian does sound the most Slavic out of all the Romance languages, doesn't it?>>

I bet you if Romania were in the middle of the Pacific Ocean it wouldn't sound Slavic anymore.... What I mean is, the fact that people assume Romanians ARE Slavic has something to do with them percieving the language as Slavic. A psychological quirk no doubt.
And no, Portuguese sounds more Slavic.
evghenie   Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:39 pm GMT
<Overall though ,Romanian does sound the most Slavic out of all the Romance languages, doesn't it?>>

I don't know...I don't feel it his way, nor for Portuguese. They have some "closed" vowels which might sound like in Russian maybe, (not to me), but other than that, nothing resembles Slavic languages. In fact, even among Slavic languages we have strong sound differences. You cannot say that Polish sounds similar to Russian or Bulgarian.
Leasnam   Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:36 pm GMT
<<I bet you if Romania were in the middle of the Pacific Ocean it wouldn't sound Slavic anymore.... What I mean is, the fact that people assume Romanians ARE Slavic has something to do with them percieving the language as Slavic. A psychological quirk no doubt.
And no, Portuguese sounds more Slavic. >>

I've heard Rumanian, and I have also heard Rumanians who spoke English with a Rumanian accent. Both sound distinctly Eastern European to me. Not much different than A Serbian or a Ukranian or Bulgarian.

Upon first hearing a Rumanian speaking English, it was immediately apparent that they were Eastern European. They sounded slavonic. Their accent, the way they pronounced their words lax and slurred all made them sound exactly like their neighbors. It's as if Rumanians were speaking with a Slavic accent.

Portuguese sounds *similar*, but I think the similarity is only coincidental and superficial. Admittedly, I also had to do a double-take when I heard Portuguese the first time. I thought it was Russian. The only way I was able to make out that it wasn't was for sake of all the Romance vocabulary (I had studied Spanish in college).

However, unlike Portuguese, I believe that the slavic sound of Rumanian is not due to coincidence but due to Sprachbunding and due to infiltration of native slavic speakers into Rumanian areas over time, who acquired the language with an accent, and the accent worthed infused.
9476133   Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:44 pm GMT
"Sprachbunding and due to infiltration of native slavic speakers into Rumanian areas over time"

Sprachbunding, yes. Infiltration, yes. But the other way around. It was romanians infiltrating into Slavic areas.
wolfi   Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:38 pm GMT
hmm! Ganz falsch! Pretty subjective statements, Leasnam (and 9476133 is lacking in history knowleadge).

I'm of German origin and live in Kanada since 2000. At English courses what I had to take here, I met people from all over the world, including Serbs, Romanians, Duch, Germans, Russians, Hungarians, Portuguese, Bulgarians, Poles, Czech, Greeks,Italians,Spaniards from both, Latin America and Spain, French, Africans, Chinese, Indians and so on. It is totally fals to say that Romanians are pronouncing the same way as Serbs or Russians, Bulgarians or other Slavic people. The south-eastern slaves have difficulties pronouncing "W" correct in English. "Word" is pronounced "vord". "Award" - "Avard", "Will-"vil" and so on. It is very easy to distinguish them from other nations. On the otehr hand, you will never see Romanians pronouncing the same way. In fact, in all these clases I went trough, the Romanians proved to be the best in English, followed by the Germans and Duch. The accent yes, sounds east-European but you cannot confuse them with Serbs, Russians or Hungarians. The pronunciation is similar to Italians and the accent is a bit different...they stress different vowels than italians, that's all.

"R" pronounced by Romanians is also closed to Italian, or even Slavs. That's different than ours (German) or French, Spanish etc.

Let's be honest, I know there are some people (Italians, Hungarians maybe Russians too) who hate Romanians but this doesn't change the reality regarding their language and origins, either you like it or not.
Alessandro   Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 pm GMT
I'm Italian and I do not hate the Romanians.
hardware   Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:50 pm GMT
why on earth should people hate the Romanians? They are so nice and funny...

@wolfi: i disagree with you. Those difficulties you have mentioned above with southern Slavs are tipical only for the older people. The younger pupulation pronounce English very well, and the W sound is not a problem for anyone. Due to the original movies we watch here, and unlike in Germany where people watch only German translation, kids and people till 35 years old pronounce it excellent.
I'm from Croatia and if you have ever been anywhere near my country, you would be surprised.

Don't mix the old immigrants who left their countries without have learned nor their mouther tongue, nor that new language they're trying to learn without success.
And for your information, Germans can be recognized very easily when speakin English, for instance: German [t∫əman], the intonation, TH sound etc.
wolfi   Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:58 am GMT
Hey guys don't get so offensive because I didn’t have any intention to offence anybody. I've just described moments from the experience I lived during the English classes which I have taken when I arrived in Canada. I was within this atmosphere for 2 years and I know exactly how the things are regarding this matter...

No, Hardware, you are wrong again, the people what I am referring to were not old at all. Their age must have been ranging somewhere between 30-40 years; and more than that, the majority of them was very high educated, (engineers, doctors, lawyers, economists). IN other words, they apparently knew very well their mother tongue...

Hardware, I never said that the Germans speaking English as the native English speaking people? But that was not the subject of discussion, nor the reason why I interfered in here. Of course, the Germans have a specific accent and a specific pronunciation when they speak English (or another language but their tongue). I wouldn't deny that if I would have been asked about it.

In fact more than 95% of people, who are learning other languages than the mother tongue at an adult age, cannot lose the accent easy. That is a fact. But somebody said that Romanians can be easy taken as Slavic speaking people when they use English and I contradicted him because I know for certain that this is not true. At the beginning, when I first listened to them speaking during the classes, I thought, they were Italians but then in the break time, when I approached a couple of them, I found out that they were Romanians...

Allessandro, I believe you that you don't hate Romanians but I usually read many German Newspapers online and I know how bad you guys treat Romanians who are in your country at this moment. You actually insulted the whole nation and that because of some idiots who in fact, are present everywhere and in every nation.

I know that we, Germans, have a bad past and I hope, we have learned our lesson, and although I might not be entitled to speak about it, I will do it and I will tell you something what every Germans knows, but don't want to speak about.. After the second WW, many Italians have come to Deutschland and did a lot of bad things including killings, robberies, rapes etc. It has been a very difficult time for us, (my Father told me that). There were not too many men remained in the country and our widowed women (and not only), have been very often molested, raped, even killed by Italians and us never, but never judged the whole nation after those barbarian acts. In Germany, by that time have immigrated people from other nations as well, Turks, Spanish, Portuguese but none of them proved to behave so wild as the Italians and that's why, your reaction towards Romanians was very surprising and very disappointing in our eyes. You guys, should have been known better your immigration past before lunching ugly attacks on the others.

On the other hand, Germany was facing a very high number of immigrants from Romania in the 90s. I was still living there by that time. They came in two main waves: one in 1990-1991, very quiet and good people, and another one in 1993-1995 and after which didn't prove the same quality as the first one. They did a lot of stupid things, many stores have gotten bankrupt because of the stealing, many citizens became angry but I don't recall hearing anybody, not politicians nor neo-Nazi, blaming the whole Romanian nation because of them.

Anyway, the way you react against them, made me think that you might hate them entirely. About Hungarians, I know for sure because some Hungarians, who I'm working with here, have told me that in a few occasions. They hate Romanians from other reasons then you...but hate is hate and it is very ugly and rude. I know that there are Germans hating Turks and foreigners in general too but, Gott sei dank; they are just a small percent out of our nation.

Take care!
thatjust me   Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:43 pm GMT
Wolfi....In my view you are Romanian not German!
wolfi   Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:30 pm GMT
I don't care who you think that I am. I said once that I'm German and this is what I am. If you believe it or not, it is your problem! If I were French, Spanish, Dutch etc I would have said the same thing about this subject because I respect myself and I am always in the service of the Truth. ANything else doesn't have any value for me and doesn't bring any value to anybody.

All the best!
Wolfgang E.