Whole mointain of misunderstanding

Laura Braun   Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:11 pm GMT
English is terrible incognita. It's like the whole mountain of misunderstanding and it's like cultural stuff. You may be think that you know that language but you never know what is said. I like people who can say the truth in the face without using enigmatic language.
K. T.   Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:18 pm GMT
"who can say the truth in the face without using enigmatic language."

In that case, I'll guess and say you mean "terra incognita", unless you mean something else.

English has levels of subtle meaning, but this may vary according to the person. If you think English is subtle, don't learn Japanese. It is the most subtle language and culture I know. You really have to read between the lines at times and your guess may be wrong...I suppose that's what you're dealing with in English now.

If you can't understand something in English, you can always ask.

"I'm not sure if I understand, could you tell me a different way?" A female could use this and not sound too blunt.

"Sorry, I didn't catch that." "How's that again?" Other ways to let the speaker know that you didn't understand what was said.

"I don't want to misunderstand you..."
Robin Michael   Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:29 pm GMT
Launa Braun is one of my favourite contributors.

First of all, I would like to say that I have just come back from Stuttgart and I was very impressed.

When I saw the topic heading it reminded me of the French policeman in 'Allo allo', one of your favourite television shows. To a certain extent I agree with what you have written. However at the end of the day it is a cultural thing.

"Do you call a spade a spade?"

Certainly not if you work for the Council. A 'coloured person' might be called 'Caribbean' or 'Black' or 'Brown' or a whole series of other names. Each one has a slightly different meaning.

So do you call a spade a spade or a shovel?

I noticed in Germany they call a Toilet, a Toilet rather than a Lavatory.*

(The reference to 'spade' is "As black as the ace of spades".)

* I hope I am not going to get into to much trouble with the grammar police for my capitalisation.

To be truthful, British people also have problems with English as a language. I can work with Scottish people who if they want to exclude me can start talking in a way that I find incomprehensible. KT is right in saying you can always ask, but of course sometimes people can be deliberately unhelpful.
Robin Michael   Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:20 pm GMT
Dear Launa

When in Stuttgart beware of two Polish gentlemen, one pretends to be Scottish, and the other, Finnish. The Scottish one can be recognised by his underpants which are made from the Scottish flag. But hopefully you will carry out your linguistic investigations to this point.

(When youths are involved in fights in countries like Spain. Rather than speak in their native language they switch to English to confuse the Police.)

So, how can you tell that it is the genuine article?

Very difficult! Have you watched 'My Fair Lady'? The Embassy Ball

Why cant the english

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owWPgUyK7DY&feature=related

My Fair Lady - The Rain In Spain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVmU3iANbgk&feature=related

My Fair Lady - The Embassy ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ8AARiS3rs

Julie in My Fair Lady 1956 part 1 of 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ8ja-71mLo
.   Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:22 pm GMT
But hopefully you will NOT carry out your linguistic investigations to this point.
Laura Braun   Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:59 pm GMT
Laura - my name is Laura with R in the middle. I would love to read what you wrote but just give me a time tomorrow i will have plenty of time just to listen sounds like Pygmalion... sure.
Robin Michael   Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:03 pm GMT
Hello Laura

When I was in Stuttgart we visited the Mercedes museum. We also visited a mixed sauna which was an interesting experience. Yes! I would like to live in Germany if I could speak the language. I can see the appeal to people from Eastern Europe.

The climate and the scenary were very nice. Vineyards in the centre of town, a day trip to France!

(the Braun chassis and Mercedes engine is the best in Formula One ...)

I think that British people find it quite surprising that Germany has done so well. I noticed that a lot of German people speak English well, but they do not necessarily want to speak English.

Have you seen Werner Herzog's 'Invincible' (2001)?

http://ikarusvpn.wordpress.com/2009/04/27/invincible-2001-werner-herzog/

Tomorrow I am going away again. This time I am visiting my parents in the South of England.

Bye for now

Robin Michael

livemocha.com
Laura Braun   Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:25 pm GMT
You're wrong about my nationality, because my name is just an expression... I've got it from a movie. But I enjoy good old antimoon when people don't take their selves too serious. Have a good one.
K. T.   Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:59 pm GMT
Is your nationality a secret? Please write in the languages forum if you can share your language(s) with us.
.   Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:57 am GMT
I would be curious to know what your nationality is?

RobinMichael Livemocha.com
lolzor haxxed   Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:19 am GMT
What's with Robin Michael and his livemocha!!!! He's almost as bad as the Jordan Shoes guy!! LOL!
Laura Braun   Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:24 am GMT
I have no idea what is livemocha. Should I check, probably it's virus. Or ... whatever. Those people who asked me what is your nationality have to know that we are here to speak english. LOl. I have a feeling that if there is no Antimoon, I would never get to know so much useful words, or to comunicate in english, because writing in english make confident that i can do it. Reality is like to know not only english but cultural stuff. I just laugh at my self when I think about that whole mountain of misunderstanding... how can some people trained how to smile, by the same time their heart is no smiling. It's Art.
Joey   Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:29 am GMT
I like 'the mointain'. The 'mointoin' sounds even better. Like, New Jersey dialect.
Anonymous2   Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:10 pm GMT
It's no surprise to me that Laura and Robin get along so well...
Laura Braun   Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:28 pm GMT
Anonymous 2 No surprise that you cannot say nothing original. Oooops.