The decline of America vs. the decline of English

Westerner   Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:35 pm GMT
<<Why are they so hell-bent on bringing the Western world to its knees?!>>

Wasn't the original purpose of Political Correctness to put an end to Western Civilization?
WRP   Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:09 pm GMT
I don't really begrudge what anyone wants to call different regions/countries/states/provinces whatever of their country, but realistically the different countries of the UK are no more self governing than US states or Canadian provinces, and in fact, as best I can tell, they are far less independent. Would Scotland be able to carve out for itself a place as legally different from England as Quebec is from Ontario? As a historical matter it's pretty easy to see why Scotland, England, Wales, and Northern Ireland would be called countries since they once were in the full political sense. But facts are facts, and they have not been nation-states in a few hundred years. Scotland isn't pursuing it's foreign policy goals through the auld alliance is it? Actually it might be a little hilarious if it were.

As someone who likes complete systems I think that the setup of devolved parliaments looks like a bit of a sop to Scottish nationalists. Why would you not have a true federal system with England having it's own parliament and a UK parliament on top?
Guest   Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:14 pm GMT
<<Wasn't the original purpose of Political Correctness to put an end to Western Civilization? >>

Yes, an insidious philosophy invented by the Jews to destroy Western civilization and set themselves up as rulers in a new world order... I think that how it goes isn't it?
Guest   Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:19 pm GMT
I might've mixed up conspiracy theories there, I don't know.
I'm a Guest too   Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:37 pm GMT
Jews are the guilty party in all of them so don't worry.
Guest   Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:58 pm GMT
I'm the true Guest and I don't aprove that message about the Jews. Remember that the Jews are doing a lot in favor of the Western Culture in the Middle East against the Oriental Muslim Culture.
I'm a Guest too   Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:27 pm GMT
My point exactly.
Westerner   Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:52 pm GMT
<<Yes, an insidious philosophy invented by the Jews to destroy Western civilization and set themselves up as rulers in a new world order... I think that how it goes isn't it? >>

I thought it was statred by Marxists that wanted to weaken the Western countries, presumably to pave the way for Communist countries to become relatively stronger.

If so, PC has outlived its original purpose, and it's time to move on to something else. Perhaps a new era of European/American racism, genocide, slavery, colonialism, imperialism, resource exploitation, etc., is in order. :)
@Damian London SW1   Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:01 pm GMT
For what is Mary Queen of Scots revered?
Jasper   Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:07 pm GMT
I'm a Guest too:

I wouldn't normally get involved in a political discussion on a board devoted to the English language, but from our point of view, an Oriental Muslim culture is not a model to which most of us would admire, because we see it as medieval.
Gina   Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:44 am GMT
Decline of America? Ha. That's pretty fucking hilarious.

Anyway, yes. If America was to, somehow..."decline" English would to of course. Because the only reason why English is so popular, is BECAUSE of America/Americans.
WRP   Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:21 am GMT
"For what is Mary Queen of Scots revered?"

Super Catholic melodrama?
Dude Who Knows   Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:43 am GMT
Even if American hegemony were to decline to the point where one could label one other country as the world's single dominant power, it's hard to imagine that such events would stifle the continued rise of English as the global lingua franca. English has gained a status far beyond that of any language before it. It's moved past being merely an expression of Anglo-American power, and become a symbol of modernity. To learn English is to plug into the rest of the world. It would take a lot to reverse that trend.

Besides, what language would replace it? The rise of India is only likely to facilitate the spread of English. China has too many dialects, and none of them have very widespread use outside of their native regions.
I'm a Guest too   Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:10 am GMT
Jasper:
I was simply pointing out that for muslim conspiracy theoretics Jews are to blame for everything, as they are for arians, white suprematists, catholics (in the past, okay), you name it...
Jasper   Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:29 am GMT
I'm a Guest too:

I see; I completely misunderstood.

I agree with you, by the way. When I see anti-Semitic remarks on these boards, I feel myself roll my eyes right here in front of the keyboard. It gets to be quite a bore, doesn't it?