The decline of America vs. the decline of English

Guest   Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:07 pm GMT
Besides, what language would replace it?

Hmmm...only Chinese, Spanish and Arabic, but all together.

I explain it. A big four system with English, Chinese, Spanish and Arabic would decline a little the importance of English. English will be only one of the most important languages, and not the Global one.

According to some reports that's the new hierarchy system.
Edward Teach   Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:25 am GMT
Sorry but I just dont see this happening in the near future.
It will take decades before any of those places are on par with America.
English will remain the global language at least in our lifetimes.
As for the guy who pointed out that millions of chinese still dont speak English.....well... we have little interest in uneducated yokels.
Dan   Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:50 am GMT
<we have little interest in uneducated yokels>

True. That's actually the reason why they teach British English in Europe. American English is thought to be an overly simplified dialect spoken by uneducated country yokels.
Amabo   Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:50 am GMT
"That's actually the reason why they teach British English in Europe. American English is thought to be an overly simplified dialect spoken by uneducated country yokels."

Hilarious!

And delusional too.
Guest   Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:16 pm GMT
Edward Teach,

"Sorry but I just dont see this happening in the near future.
It will take decades before any of those places are on par with America."

It is more complicated. For example, China is not on par with America. But, it depends also on political points. Vietnam, South Korea and Japan can consider it is better an Asian language as lingua franca in East Asia. It can be a first step to an economic union.

The feelings are also important. Vietnam and Japan hate America and they don't like English language.

The same in Latin America. Guyane, Surinam and Brazil can change tomorrow to Spanish, if they consider more practical. All of them belong to UNASUR. They don't love America or English language.

Finally, it is the same with Arabic in the Arabic World.
Edward Teach   Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:46 am GMT
My point was not that it wont happen, I just cant see it happening anytime in the near future.
In parts of Asia English is becoming more important than ever especially for University entrance requirements.
It is also viewed as sign of intelligence, people who dont speak English these days arev considered uneducated.

Its also a bit misleading to speak of 'Asia as a single entity whether economically, politically or militarily. They have issues between themselves that far outweigh their supposed 'hatred' for the US.