Are Harry Potter movies dubbed into American English?

Larissa   Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:43 pm GMT
hi all,
i'd love to know if Harry Potter movies are dubbed into American English and if his books are translated into American English from British one!
thanks you :)
Greg   Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:03 pm GMT
The Harry Potter books have been translated into many languages.For the English language, there exists an adapted American English version of each book.
Larissa   Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:22 pm GMT
thanks Greg and what about the Harry Potter movies, are they dubbed into AmEnglish?
thanks in advance
Mitch   Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:58 pm GMT
The versions I've seen on DVD were not dubbed into American English. J. K. Rowling actually insisted on British actors for the films. Her only concession was reluctantly allowing the title of the American editions of the first book and movie to be changed from Philosopher's Stone to Sorcerer's Stone.
Tiffany   Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:26 pm GMT
No the movies have not been dubbed for American audiences. In case the question arises (if Adam gets wind of this thread): no we don't have any problems understanding it.
Mxsmanic   Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:28 pm GMT
There's no reason to dub the films. Standard British English is perfectly comprehensible to Americans, and it would be rather odd for a story set in the UK to feature actors speaking with an American accent (although stranger still would be Dick Van Dyke, but that's a different story).
Larissa   Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:46 pm GMT
thank u for your replies
"movie to be changed from Philosopher's Stone to Sorcerer's Stone." but why did they change?
Tiffany   Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:54 pm GMT
No clue. "Sorcerer" sounds more magical to me (American). Is there an additional definition for "Philosopher" over in Great Britain that I don't know of?
Adam   Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:59 pm GMT
"The versions I've seen on DVD were not dubbed into American English. J. K. Rowling actually insisted on British actors for the films."

And quite rightly, too.
Adam   Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:05 pm GMT
The book "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" was released in Britain in 2001.

When it was released in Britain it changed its name because, believe it or not, Americans don't really know what a philosopher is. They believe it's something magical.
Adam   Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:06 pm GMT
I meant to say that when it was released in AMERICA it change its title.
Larissa   Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:14 pm GMT
Adam thanks for the information! Are you English?
w00t?   Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:45 pm GMT
so only the title was translated in to American english? or every bloody sentences?
Larissa   Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:10 pm GMT
I just wanted to thank everybody for their messages!
Guest   Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:01 pm GMT
An American accent on Harry Potter? OMG that is just wrong.... imagine a film with the US President with a British accent or the British Primeminister with an American accent?

The worse is watching a Western with cowboys with a cockney accents.