British speakers: pronunciation of "primarily"

Quark   Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:51 pm GMT
Primarily is one of these words where more than one pronunciation is common. JC Well's Pronunciation Dictionary has a nice poll for 1988: overall 49% put the stress on the first syllable, 51% on the second syllable. However, there is a distinctive difference between old and young speakers here. In the oldest group, only 20% prefer to stress the second syllable; in the second oldest group, it's about 40%, in the second youngest group, it's about 65%, and the youngest group overwhelmingly prefer the stress on the second syllable (80%). Accordingly, the dictionary suggests stressing the second syllable, but recognizes the other variant. For GenAm, there is only one option: stressing the first syllable. I hope this helps.
@Uriel   Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:10 pm GMT
In the UK, the definition of ‹American spelling› and ‹American pronunciation› is a spelling or pronunciation with which the speaker is unfamiliar.
Jasper   Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:07 pm GMT
"For GenAm, there is only one option: stressing the first syllable. I hope this helps."

Could this be a mistake?

I have never heard "primarily" pronounced any other way in the US except for "pri-MAR-ily".
Uriel   Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:53 pm GMT
Yeah, I'm assuming they meant "second", too.
Kendra   Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:18 am GMT
According to Longman pronunciation dictionary:

UK poll preference:
49% 'primarily
51% pri'marily

So, it must be like ''against'', UK pronunciation is being fased out in the UK
Kendra   Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:19 am GMT
According to Longman pronunciation dictionary:

UK poll preference:
49% 'primarily
51% pri'marily

So, it must be like ''against'', UK pronunciation is being phased out in the UK.
Damian London SW15   Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:15 pm GMT
I really can't say that I have used the word "primarily" all that often....in fact I can't remember when I did use it last, but I don't suppose any of us can anyway. I must admit that I would tend to use the American pronunciation - stressed second syllable - for the reason I gave earlier - it's just much easier to utter the word that way, unlike the accepted British way with the initial PRI often followed by a globby like "mary-lee-loo-lee-lily-lily" cock up....so do it the Yankee way is probably the best option....rolls off he tongue a lot easier.

Americans stress No 2 in "primarily" but opt for No 1 in "controversy". Why?

I think the Americans are every bit as inconsistently twisted as we are in the way different words, similary spelled (spelt), are pronounced in different ways. When they are constantly on the go from one place to another they are "mow-bl" - when we do likewise we are "mow-bile".

I suppose when Brits get very aged and frail and a wee bit loopy they are regarded as somewhat "see-nile" here. Do the Americans in the same sad situation get "see-nl" then? Somehow I think not. Why are they not "see-nl" when they are no longer "mow-bl" then?
Uriel   Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:23 am GMT
I don't know, but we also tend to say "fragile"as "frajl", too. Who ever said we were consistent?
Woozle   Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:03 am GMT
"Americans stress No 2 in "primarily" but opt for No 1 in "controversy". Why?"

Er.. Americans pronounce it "CON-tro VER-sy", double stress. I wonder if all 4-syllable words have double stress in American English...

LAB-ora TOR-y as opposed to British luh-BOR-t-ry..

You Brits should try it. luh-BOR-t-ry and c-n-TROV-r-sy are mouthfuls.
blanc   Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:36 am GMT
I am American but I stress "fragile" on the second syllable.
blanc   Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:38 am GMT
Actually, I stress the first syllable, come to think of it. I just don't reduce the second syllable even though it is unstressed.
Entbark   Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:09 am GMT
If he's so sick of being called Gerard (like it's spelled) then why doesn't he tell people to call him Jared? Americans know how to pronounce Jared and it's pretty much identical to what he likes to be called. I fail to see how Gerry is a more ideal solution than Jared.
Damian Bexleyheath   Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:10 am GMT
Gerard Butler is quite happy to be called "Gerry" when he is in America, and it seems the Americans are happy to do just that, and as far as I know those Americans who do unwittinghly call my Scottish compatriot "Gurr-ARRD" are either tolerated or gently eased into "Gerry" mode.

In the same way our GERR-udd is more than happy to slip back into Glaswegian Speak mode the moment his plane lands at Heathrow airport again, as the staff at Starbucks there know only too well, as he maintains. He'd probably blow all his gaskets if anybody here called him Gurr-ARRD...Glaswegians generally are not well known for controlling emotions all that much really, and I don't think GERR-udd is any different.

Please don't ask exactly why "Gerard" comes out as "GERR-udd" here in the UK, and especially back home up in Scotland - it just is, so live with it!
Kendra   Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:01 pm GMT
I don't like when Britishers use pseudoelegant forms like ''agaynst'' or ''Syoosan'' or ''syoot''.
Woozle   Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:04 pm GMT
I prefer syoot, so as not to make the words 'suit' and 'soot', 'tune' and 'toon', 'news' and 'noose', etc. homonymous.

There is something called enunciation, Kendra.