A poetry reading

.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:07 pm GMT
The sort of mistake (grammatical error) a 'native speaker' might make.

On a personal note, I do not believe in heaven and hell. So I find any discussion of this concepts annoying as it is spreading a form of 'false knowledge'.

'heaven and hell': two concepts

'hell': I find any discussion of this concept annoying. This is a central tenent of Catholisim.

'heaven and hell': I find any discussion of these concepts annoying.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why has a Russian person drawn attention to a poem by Blake describing London as a type of Hell?

Because London is one of the most important centres of capitalism.

The spread of English has been accompanied by the spread of ideas. I do not like a discussion of 'English' purely in terms of pronunciation and grammar because I feel that this is missing the point.

"Dr. Livingstone I presume"

A question of etiquette when meeting someone you have not been introduced to, in deepest darkest Africa.

Being an Englishman (Livingstone), I did not know how he would receive me. (Livingstone of course is Scottish - to call him English would be a big mistake) (Stanley was an American)

So I did what cowardice and false pride suggested was the best thing – walked deliberately to him, took off my hat, and said:

'Dr. Livingstone, I presume?' (Stanley)

"Yes", said he, with a kind smile, lifting his cap slightly. (Livingstone)

Livingstone expressed surprise that he was thought to be lost,

http://www.wayfarersbookshop.com/Biographies/Stanley_Biography/Stanley_-_Dr__Livingstone_I_Pr/stanley_-_dr__livingstone_i_pr.html
.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:17 pm GMT
Generally when an Englishman met another European in a far away land. The first reaction was to try to kill him.

The Fashoda Incident.

Fashoda Incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Fashoda Incident (1898) was the climax of imperial territorial disputes between the United Kingdom and France in Eastern Africa. ...
Background - Stalemate - Effects - See also
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashoda_Incident - Cached - Similar

In the little story about Stanley it is noticeable that Stanley first:

Stanley unfurled the American flag and marched into Ujiji firing 50 guns simultaneously. He was met by Susi, one of Livingstone's African supporters, and was led to where the famous doctor was staying. The famous encounter is expressed in Stanley's words.
.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:27 pm GMT
"In March 1899 the French and British agreed that the source of the Nile and the Congo rivers should mark the frontier between their spheres of influence.

Some historians consider that the resolution of this incident and the increase in strength of Germany were the precursors of the Entente Cordiale. In any case, it was the last serious colonial dispute between Britain and France."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashoda_Incident

I have heard it said that the Rwandan genocide was partly a result of the conflict between Anglophone Africa and Francophone Africa.