A poetry reading

Gustav   Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:42 am GMT
If you like it so much, you can go by that name (your current one is quite a tongue twister.) I prefer Swedish names!
.   Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:07 am GMT
Pears   Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:13 pm GMT
'.', someone is masquerade as me.

Frank Sinatra could be singing a romantic song about anywhere.

I much prefer:

But most, through midnight streets I hear
How the youthful harlot's curse
Blasts the new-born infant's tear,
And blights with plagues the marriage-hearse.
Peers Morgan   Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:22 pm GMT
'.', someone is mask -er-ading as me.

You can use the spell check in Microsoft Word to get closer to the word that you want to spell correctly.

The spelling of 'masquerade' is not particularly easy for English people. The trick is, the 'k' has been replaced by a 'qu' which sounds similar to English ears.

mask becomes masqu

after that it becomes easy.

Fortunately, the spell checker recognises 'maskeraid' as a common mispelling of 'masquerade'.

Again 'ade' and 'raid' sound similar.

So the word that I wanted corrected - maskeriad - looked nothing like the word I was trying to spell - masquerade.

masquerade: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com
masquerade ( ) n. A costume party at which masks are worn; a masked ball. Also called masque . A costume for such a party or ball.
www.answers.com/topic/masquerade - Cached - Similar

(Tom*: I did not realise that the software of antimoon was so simple.)
Flo   Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:11 pm GMT
"Similar" doesn't mean "identical" you ignoramus. The word you were looking for is "identical".
.   Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:17 pm GMT
Hello unpleasant person

The trick is, the 'k' has been replaced by a 'qu' which sounds similar to English ears.

'k' does not sound identical to 'qu' to English ears.

Twat!
.   Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:18 pm GMT
Twat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The word twat has various functions. It is a vulgar synonym for the human vulva, vagina, or clitoris., but is more widely used as a derogatory epithet, ...
Origins - Historical usage - Usage - See also
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twat - Cached - Similar

Urban Dictionary: twat
twat - 127 definitions - 1) A great word to shout out. 2) A woman's vagina. 3) A blow to the face or genitalia. 4) Used by Tweety. 5) An offensive ...
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=twat - Cached - Similar
.   Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:22 pm GMT
Big Train - Fat Handed Twat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQyxGTjZi2I
Damian London SW15   Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:05 pm GMT
The mighty River Thames.....it starts it's journey as a wee spring of cool, fresh Cotswold water oozing out of the ground close to Kemble, Gloucestershire, in the upper south west of England, and then gathers itself together as a trickle turning into a stream and then, fed by more crystal clear Cotswold water imbued with the calcium rich chalk of the local geological structure, enhanced by the all year round English rain, it meanders its way towards the city of Oxford, where it is known locally as the Isis - further on downstream towards Pangbourne and Reading it becomes the Thames again, growing ever wider and more majestic until it eventually reaches the western suburbs of Greater London, and further on it reaches the very heart of London itself.....the original City proper founded by the Romans as Londinium....but instead of stopping there to enjoy the panoramic view of the 21st century City skyline it continues on its way, growing ever wider, separating the counties of Essex, on its northern bank, and Kent, to the south....here it officially becomes the Thames Estuary opening out into the North Sea separating us from the Continent.

When Julius Caesar and his guys landed at what is now known as Pegwell Bay, on the coast of East Kent, in 54BC, they made themselves at home by building the first massive fortress in what became known as Britannia and called it Rutupiae, the ruins of which are still very impressive but now known as Richborough, close to the present day town of Sandwich, close to which, would you believe, is a wee village called Ham....so you could in effect be travelling on the Ham-Sandwich road at some point in that area.

Those Romans noticed the estuary of this great river just round the corner from Rutupia and saw that it travelled westwards, upstream, right into the hinterland of the then unknown territory people by all the various tribes, popularly called the Ancient Britons.

The Romans decided to call this river the Tamesis...but of course, this eventually became the Thames, and the correct phonetic pronunciation of London's River as the "Temmz" probably stems from the old Roman name.

The Thames is less than an eight minute walk through South West London suburban Putney from where I am located right now....less than eight minutes if you go at a wee bit of a pace and don't always wait at the pedestrian crossings for the lights to go green. It's at nearby Putney Bridge that the annual River Thames uni boat race between Oxford and Cambridge starts off on its four mile run upstream to Mortlake.

Poetry readings about London......well, where do you begin? One of my favourite London focussed poems is "On Westminster Bridge" by William Wordsworth - more about this later as I have to shoot off out now.....Wordsworth was very much a countryman - remember the poem he wrote about all those hosts of Golden Daffodills among the green fells of his native Lake District and his "Glory in the Flower and Splendour in the Grass" - but he also lived in London for a while and he was so impressed by the view from Westminster Bridge.

I'm very impressed with the view from Westminster Bridge, too, especially looking eastwards down river towards the City skyline (at night its fantastic) - with floodlit St Paul's Cathedral still prominent among the myriad of post-WW2 towering buildings but the view I see now is totally, absolutely and completely different from the one Wordsworth salivated over all those many years ago.

Actually, I prefer the view from Waterloo Bridge, further downstream from Westminster bridge - then you can see the Westminster skyline to the west as well as the City skyline to the east - at night it's breathtaking.

London Pride at its best.
.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:18 pm GMT
Damian, you have exceeded yourself. I have not even started to read what you have written. You are trying to out do Xie!
.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:23 pm GMT
How about a little bit of literary criticism (Damian)? Presumably this was what you were educated to do.

What do you think about the poem that started this thread?

London
William Blake

I wander through each chartered street,
Near where the chartered Thames does flow,
And mark in every face I meet,
Marks of weakness, marks of woe.

In every cry of every man,
In every infant's cry of fear,
In every voice, in every ban,
The mind-forged manacles I hear:

How the chimney-sweeper's cry
Every blackening church appals,
And the hapless soldier's sigh
Runs in blood down palace-walls.

Is this the London that you know and love?

One of my favourite TV programs was 'The Vice'.

What nationality is the London harlot likely to be today?

What does he mean by 'marriage-hearse'?

What poem is William Blake better known for?

Why do you think people prefer this poem to London?
.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:26 pm GMT
Search this site: Jerusalem Blake

#
With God On Our Side | Antimoon Forum
References to this legend include a poem by William Blake and the inspirational song "Jerusalem." Blake's text (from Milton) is as follows: ...
www.antimoon.com/forum/t1675-15.htm
#
Tibetan Monks - Glastonbury - and the Megabus experience ...
15 posts - 10 authors - Last post: 16 Jul
He said that it was the subject of William Blake's poem, 'Jerusalem'. That the dark satanic mills refered to Bradford on Avon and not ...
www.antimoon.com/forum/t13848.htm
#
ENGLAND and St George | Antimoon Forum
15 posts - 10 authors - Last post: 26 Apr
Jerusalem - a strange name for a tune and lyric which is essentialy very ... with England's sole "possession" - William Blake's "Jerusalem". ...
www.antimoon.com/forum/t13289.htm
#
"Don't fall under the spell" | Antimoon Forum
28 Oct 2008 ... Blake's opening words to "Jerusalem" are, of course: "And did those feet in ancient times, Walk upon England's mountains green, And was the Holy Lamb of God ...
www.antimoon.com/forum/t12007.htm
#
Since Adam was a lad | Antimoon Forum
The poem 'Jerusalem' by William Blake, written in 1804, begins with a reference to it: "And did those feet in ancient time ...
www.antimoon.com/forum/t3069.htm
.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:31 pm GMT
www.antimoon.com/forum/t1675-15.htm

The post by Adam appears to be very impressive. However I suspect that it was not Adam who wrote most of it.

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the Holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?
And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among those dark Satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of Fire!
I will not cease from mental fight;
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.
.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:39 pm GMT
Damian in Edinburgo

William Blake (1757-1827) - one of his most famous lines is "Tiger, Tiger burning bright, in the forests of the night", and one of his most famous works "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" - and of course the words for one of England's most famous and often sung hymns - "Jerusalem" - sung at many of England's public events as well as at weddings, including that of one of my cousins who married an English girl from Wallingford, Oxfordshire. Blake's opening words to "Jerusalem" are, of course:

The Tiger
By William Blake
1757-1827

TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder and what art
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand and what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? What dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
And water'd heaven with their tears,
Did He smile His work to see?
Did He who made the lamb make thee?

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?
.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:47 pm GMT
William Blake
The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

http://www.levity.com/alchemy/blake_ma.html

I did not find this particularly easy, so I have not reproduced it.

"Blake's text has been interpreted in many ways. It certainly forms part of the revolutionary culture of the period. The references to the printing house suggest the underground radical printers producing revolutionary pamphlets at the time. Ink-blackened print workers were jokingly referred to as "printing devils," and revolutionary publications were regularly denounced from the pulpits as the work of the devil."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marriage_of_Heaven_and_Hell

On a personal note, I do not believe in heaven and hell. So I find any discussion of this concepts annoying as it is spreading a form of 'false knowledge'. On the other hand, the idea of 'heaven' and 'hell' has a powerful hold over the Western mind.

I noticed in something Tom* had written that he used the word 'damn'. I try to avoid using such words particularly in something vaguely academc. 'Damn' of course refers to 'Damnation'.

In in other words 'Go to Hell'!