A question for Asian people

Student   Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:11 pm GMT
Do you prefer English or Chinese as lingua franca for Asia?

That's important because it depends on the choice of Chinese as lingua franca by Vietnam, Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Singapore, etc

Thanks in advance.
Minamoto no Yoritomo   Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:16 pm GMT
I prefer Japanese as lingua franca for asia.
Xavier   Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:19 pm GMT
I prefer français as ligua franca pour l'Asie.
Heinrich Wolfgang   Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:22 pm GMT
I prefer German als Lingua franca für Asien.
Xie   Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:55 pm GMT
Why ask us?

I don't care.
Esteban Schickelgrüber   Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:11 pm GMT
I prefer Esperanto as lingua franca for Asia.
38   Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:14 pm GMT
I would say Chinese Mandarin. It's a much easier language for other Asians to learn. Although English has been studied as a second language throughout Asia for many decades. A large majority of Asians have failed to achieve even a rudimentary level of English.
cnablis   Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:33 pm GMT
Would Chinese (Mandarin) go over big in India, Indonesia, the Middle East, etc? Is it easy for people in those countries to pick up the Chinese writing system?
Zhong Wen   Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:39 pm GMT
Chinese is only used in chinese mainland,Taiwan,Macao,Hongkong,chinese in Singapore ,chinese in Malaysia at present.
Vietnam had been using Chinese before France invaded it. Now they don't use Chinese, but Chinese boom is rising in Vietnam nowadays as well as Korea.
Korea also used Chinese several tens of years ago.
Japan has been using kanji.
But I don't think Chinese will be as lingua franca by asian. Just for one reason, USA is a superpower. Unless China becomes a superpower, and then Chinese maybe become lingua franca in asia.
Even in China, Chinese are learning English. It's a longtime before Chinese become lingua franca in asia. Maybe never. Although I am a Chinese, I am not optimistic about the Chinese language as lingua franca in asia. Even today, Japanese language still have advantages.
38   Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:50 pm GMT
Please read the question carefully:

"Do you prefer English or Chinese to be the lingua franca of Asia?"

It's not

"Do you think Chinese will replace English as the lingua franca of Asia?"

and I always doubt that English is and will ever be the lingua franca of Asia.
Zhong Wen   Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:04 pm GMT
<<Please read the question carefully:

"Do you prefer English or Chinese to be the lingua franca of Asia?"

It's not

"Do you think Chinese will replace English as the lingua franca of Asia?"
>>

Why should I answer this question directly? You'll too rigid. There is no large possibility of lingua franca of Chinese in asia. So there is no such question: "Do you prefer English or Chinese to be the lingua franca of Asia?"
You are too stupid.
38   Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:26 pm GMT
...... a total retard!
Schtudent   Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:54 pm GMT
<< Do you prefer English or Chinese as lingua franca for Asia?

That's important because it depends on the choice of Chinese as lingua franca by Vietnam, Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Singapore, etc >>

English, which IS the lingua franca regardless of one's preference..
A Real Asian   Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:29 pm GMT
I would prefer English. As an Asian who is not Chinese, preference of Chinese is similar to preference of French or German in the West. Just because we are Asian does not mean that we accept China and its language as our own. Many of us resent China.
Verrucktiger Ein   Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:31 pm GMT
<<Schtudent >>

WHAT! Holy Cow Dude, make that "Schtudenten"! Don't you realize that all German words must end in -en?