The new Latin: Spanish language

¨-¨   Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:59 pm GMT
"Spanish is growing increasingly popular as a second or third language in a number of countries because of logistical, economic, and touristic interest towards the many nations which chiefly use Spanish as the primary language. This phenomenon is most notable in Brazil, the United States, Canada, Italy, France, Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, Poland and much of the Anglosphere in general".

Wikipedia.

Spanish is the most spoken Romance language. It is spoken by all the Hispanic countries. At the same time, nowadays there are also a lot of students of Spanish in Brazil, France, Portugal and Italy.

I was in Portugal, France and Italy, and I can confirm that.

After the fall of the Roman Empire, it is the first time that all the Latin countries can understand each other, thanks to the Spanish language, if this language is more studied in the future.

Do you think that Spanish can be really important in all the "Latin countries"? Can it be the new Latin?
allagash hrabash   Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:21 pm GMT
I suppose you'd need to work on getting Asia to switch over to Spanish, at least as a second language. Maybe you've already got your foot in the door with the Phillipines.

One big help would be to streamline the language for global consumption: Abolishing the subjunctive would be a good starting point, and maybe you could phase out gramatical gender..
- - - - - - - - - - - - -   Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:11 pm GMT
"The new Latin: Spanish"

No way, even in Italy Spanish tourists use English now.

The new Latin is English, period.
Lucretius   Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:42 pm GMT
New Latin is "Italian Language", because Italian is the language of the Roman church. Classical Latin never was the most spoken language. Was only the language of an Elite that evolved in the Roman church. Now the church speaks Italian.

Spanish can be comparated only to the most diffuse form of the Vulgar Latin, that in the middle age probably was Occitan.
Evinória   Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:21 pm GMT
Olha, não desmerecendo o castelano, que acho ser uma língua irmã bela e sensual. Mas não concordo com essa visão simplista, que visa apenas engrandecer o Castelano comparando ele com a mais poderosa Língua de todos os tempos: O Latim.

Sim ele vêm sendo estudado no Brasil. Mas eu como brasileira e professora, posso dizer que definitivamente, ele não é uma segunda língua no Brasil. É muito mais fácil encontrar brasileiros falando Inglês que falando castelano. Isso é simples de entender: Os brasileiros entendem o espanhol sem dificuldades, seja o falado ou o escrito.

Portanto, o interesse sobre essa língua por exemplo, está no seguinte fato. No Brasil só existem duas formas de ascender à Universidade, o Vestibular. É um concurso público, geralmente dividido em duas fases: Na primeira fase, os candidatos mostrarão os conhecimentos que possuem sobre todas as disciplinas do Ensino Médio (High School), como Matemática, Geometria, Gramática portuguêsa, Literatura brasileira, História Brasileira, História portuguêsa, História Mundial, Química, Física, Geografia, Geomorfologia, Geologia, História Geral, Biologia, Ecologia e por fim, os três idiomas adotados no Brasil como secundários no ensino: Inglês, Espanhol ou Francês.

A segunda fase, se constitui nas Disciplinas específicas do Curso no qual pretende-se fazer parte. Por exemplo, alguém que tente conquistar uma vaga de Engenharia da Computação, necessariamente terá que mostrar que possui conhecimentos básicos em Física, Química, Inglês, Matemática avançada, Binários, Cálculos avançados e afins. Junte-se a isso uma Redação em português e uma nova avaliação sobre litaratura geral.

Ao longo do Ensino Médio, existem escolas que adotam o Espanhol como Língua Estrangeira para ensino, pelo simples fato de este ser parecido com o Português. Isso facilita a aprendizagem dos alunos, e também seu ingresso na Universidade, por ser melhor compreendido que o Inglês e o Francês. Ainda assim, a maior parte das Escolas brasileiras ensinam o Inglês e não o Espanhol. Até o momento o Inglês é nossa segunda Língua de Ensino. Note, SEGUNDA LÍNGUA DE ENSINO, não segunda língua falada.

Existe uma proposta do Governo de transformar o Espanhol em Segundo Idioma de Ensino, e provavelmente será aprovada, por causa da cada vez maior integração dos Países Latinoamericanos. Isso é tudo questão de geopolítica, e na verdade o povo brasileiro é mais aberto à cultura latinoamericana que à cultura estadunidense. Eu sou a favor dessa mudança, eu mesma adoraria aprender ao castelano, mas como eu já tinha dito, entre aprender Espanhol e Francês, prefiro este último porque desde alfabetizada, consigo ler, escrever e entender a fala da Língua Espanhola.

Essa é minha opinião quanto ao Brasil. Não pense que o objetivo do Ensino de Espanhol nas escolas daqui, são para que recebamos turistas ou possamos falar esse idioma fluentemente. NÃO É! É apenas uma base gramática, que frisa as diferenças entre o Português e o Espanhol, para que quando adulto, o jovem possa escolher que idioma gostaria de seguir, e possa também optar pelo Espanhol, que sofria de pouco prestígio no Brasil, pois não soa muito bom aos nossos ouvidos.

É isso aí! Não se vai chegar ao Brasil e encontrar um monte de pessoas falando Espanhol. São apenas bases muito BÁSICAS que recebemos em nossas escolas. Não se aprende espanhol nas escolas, mas sim o Inglês.
reality   Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:26 pm GMT
Spanish will be never as nice as French and Italian. It will be always the language of peasantry and low classes.
Komtu   Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:32 pm GMT
Ignorance will lead you nowhere, each language has its qualities. Spanish is a beautiful language, as are all other romance languages. I would propose Italian as the new latin, but its not widely spoken, French doesn't seem a good candidate, either. English is slowly becoming the new international language, but it is also an ugly language, destroyed by the great vowel change, which is, in my opinion, a destruction of a good language. I propose that people just keep their own language, rather than learn English.
Guest   Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:38 pm GMT
Spanish will be never as nice as French and Italian. It will be always the language of peasantry and low classes.

Do you think there are not low class people speaking Italian in Naples, Palermo or French in the suburbs of Marseille and Paris for example?.
sergio   Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:15 pm GMT
<<One big help would be to streamline the language for global consumption: Abolishing the subjunctive would be a good starting point, and maybe you could phase out gramatical gender.. >>

It's not worth it! Better keep Spanish pure than turn it into a dirty tool for the masses like English.
Guest   Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:31 pm GMT
Do you think English is a linguistic fast-food?.
Guest   Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:50 am GMT
I think he/she is right.

Spanish can be the new Latin by all the Latin people: all Hispanics, Brazil, Portugal, France, Italy and Romania.

In all of them Spanish is mother tongue or at least, studied as foreign language. It is very studied in Brazil, France and Italy.

So, it is almost the new Latin for Latin people yet.

Another question is also very interesting. To make Spanish the easiest World language: abolishing subjuntive and the gramatical gender.

I think that the first point is possible:

Puede que llueva mañana (subjuntive).

We can say too: Puede que llueve mañana (Present). All people can understand that.

To abolish the gramatical gender is more difficult.
allagash Hrabash   Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:22 am GMT
<<To abolish the gramatical gender is more difficult. >>

Didn't Dutch go partway by reducing genders from 3 to 2?

In fact, didn't the some Romance languages already cut back from the three genders in Latin to two currently? Why not take the next step and cut back to just one?

Are there any dialects where the subjunctive is not used (much) in modern Spanish?
User   Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:06 pm GMT
The gramatical gender is not so important, because in Spanish is very easy:

If the word ends in -o is masculine: el gato (the cat). If ends in -a is femenine: la gata. There are some exceptions, but that's the rule.

On the other hand, we can abolish the gramatical gender, and to say for masculine and femenine "el gato".

Anyway, even Americans consider it very easy...

Subjuntive is very used in Spanish, but I think that it can be used the Present, like in English.

For instance, a lot of foreign people use only Present and we understand it perfectly.
Harman   Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:10 pm GMT
I agree with evinoria, i watched a tv program where brazilian collage guys were saying they prefered to learn spanish than french or english and i thought what a lazy you are!, spanish is very easy for you, you can learn yourself, go for other harder languages man.
greb   Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:12 pm GMT
<<
For instance, a lot of foreign people use only Present and we understand it perfectly. >>

Yes, but they sound like retards.