opened the floodgates

Please   Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:21 pm GMT
The speech opened the floodgates of inspiration and allowed for dreams to be dreamt.

How would you modify this sentence?
Please   Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:27 pm GMT
The speech opened the floodgates of inspiration and allowed for big dreams and aspirations to be harbored.
Any better?
Leasnam   Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:35 pm GMT
<<The speech opened the floodgates of inspiration and allowed for big dreams and aspirations to be harbored.
Any better? >>

Not really. Worse actually, because it makes less sense. ('harbour' is the gainside and opposite of 'opened floodgates')

His/Her speech on <insert subject here> opened floodgates on inspiration and allowed unrealised dreams to come alive by/through <insert reason here>.

Try that ;)

When is this due?
Please   Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:48 pm GMT
Thanks Leasnam.
But that tweaks the meaning I intended. I didn't mean to say the speech allowed for dreams to come true. Rather, I was trying to imply that the speech showed that it is ok to dream. As for dream fulfillment, that's a different story.

Also, aren't you missing a 'the' before 'floodgates'?

Due tomorrow :)
Please   Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:34 pm GMT
The speech opened the floodgates of inspiration and proved it all right, even rewarding, to dive for big dreams.
???
Leasnam   Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:41 pm GMT
<<Also, aren't you missing a 'the' before 'floodgates'? >>

Could go either way--I personnally prefer it sans 'the'

ok, so tomorrow, GREAT. I love a deadline challenge! :]

<<The speech opened the floodgates of inspiration and proved it all right, even rewarding, to dive for big dreams. >>

This is good. Perhaps 'acceptqable' for 'all right' and 'reach/aim/target/aspire' instead of 'dive'?
Leasnam   Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:44 pm GMT
<<to dive for big dreams>>

'shoot for' big dream?
Please   Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:59 pm GMT
Thanks. I chose 'dive' based on the good point you made about habor above. That flood of inspiration could provide a diving environment for dreams.
Does that make sense?
Leasnam   Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:22 pm GMT
<<Does that make sense? >>

Yes! Yes it does ;)
Leasnam   Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:24 pm GMT
Have you considered 'dive in'?

"The speech opened the floodgates of inspiration and proved it acceptable, even rewarding, to dive in for big dreams"
Please   Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:27 pm GMT
Leasnam   Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:33 pm GMT
Please, that is NOT the way you should decide! LOL :P

Anyway, Good Luck on your speech/paper. Get an A!
DOIT ETRE EN PLACE   Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:57 pm GMT
And please credit Leasnam!
Please   Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:24 pm GMT
It's not a paper. It an editorial piece =))
a demotivator   Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:44 pm GMT
The original sentence was fine. It might not win a Nobel Prize, but you wouldn't win a Nobel Prize anyway, so it's good enough.

Why do people always tell learners to munt up their writing for no reason? Besides, your 'fine tuning' is not even much better...