The languages of football

Football fan   Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:13 pm GMT
Well, the languages of Football (soccer) are English and Spanish.

I saw the countries that go to the Football World in South Africa in 2010, and 7 of them are Hispanics (Spain, Argentina, Mexico, Uruguay or Costa Rica, Honduras, Chile and Paraguay) and 5 are Anglos (USA, UK, Australia, South Africa and Ghana).

So, the languages of the most important sport in the World are English and Spanish nowadays.

At the same time, a lot of them speak English or Spanish as second language.
Caspian   Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:31 pm GMT
The most important sport in the world is football? A game that just requires kicking an object into a net?

Personally, I prefer sports which require you to think. I'm a sailor myself, and race every year (and win a lot too^^). To be a successful sailor, you need to be able to judge the wind speed, wind direction, tide strength, tide direction, course of the race, centreboard setting, trim of boat, sail setting, balance of boat, and also keep an eye on what your crew is doing and instruct them accordingly.

Maybe this sport isn't as POPULAR, but I see it as much more fun, interesting, intellectually stimulating and useful than a sport which consists of yelling at the top of your voice, and running around a field kicking a ball around. Any chav can do that, look at some famous fotoballers.
yaa yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa   Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:35 pm GMT
Language is irrelevant to sport. Sport has nothing to do with language.

What's the most important language for brushing one's teeth?
Guest   Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:54 pm GMT
<<Any chav can do that, look at some famous fotoballers. >>

Football is diffcult if you are not good at sports.

<<Personally, I prefer sports which require you to think. >>

In nearly all activities you need to think. In football you need to anticipate to the reactions of the other team, to coordinate with your team, to calculate the direction of the win too because it can modify the trajectory of the ball a lot, etc. According to my experience, people who are good at sports are also clever, but they use their intelligence just in sports, not in more intellectual demanding tasks.
Soccer Fan   Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:27 pm GMT
Well, the languages of Football (soccer) are English and Frenchh.

I saw the countries that go to the Football World in South Africa in 2010, and many of them are Francophones (France, Canada, Belgium, Switzerland or Congo, Cote d'Ivoire, Gabon and Senegal) and 5 are Anglos (USA, UK, Australia, South Africa and Ghana).

So, the languages of the most important sport in the World are English and French nowadays.

At the same time, a lot of them speak English or French as second language.
fraz   Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:39 pm GMT
<<Language is irrelevant to sport. Sport has nothing to do with language>>

I wouldn't say that. In Europe it is very common for a professional footballer to move to another country and to learn a new language.
Football user   Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:05 pm GMT

Say that to all the organizers of the Football Worldcup in South Africa. They need several translators of English, Spanish and in lesser degree of German, Portuguese, etc.

PD. There is only one francophone country classified at this moment, Cote d'Ivoire. France needs to play another match to know if they are classified. So, perhaps 2 francophone countries go to South Africa, like the Korean language. They have the same importance, ha, ha.
fantasma   Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:44 pm GMT
PD. There is only one francophone country classified at this moment, Cote d'Ivoire. France needs to play another match

LOL
uh   Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:49 pm GMT
Who gives a crap what language a bunch of fat bureaucrats speak?

As for the players, you'll never speak to them anyway, so again, who gives a crap?
US User   Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:59 pm GMT
The language of Football players, film starts or pop singers is very important. It has a lot of prestige, not only for teenagers...
Soccer user   Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:08 pm GMT

Say that to all the organizers of the Football Worldcup in South Africa. They need several translators of English, Spanish and in lesser degree of German, Portuguese, etc.

PD. There is no hispanic country classified at this moment, not even Spain. Hispanic countries need win a cup (history tells that no hispanic countries ever won a cup) to know if they are classified. So, perhaps 1 hispanic countries go to South Africa, like the Korean language. They have the same importance, bwahahahahahaha.
Tionghoa   Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:45 pm GMT
Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French, English, German.
A more original name   Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:31 pm GMT
To Soccer user.

Sorry, but at this moment the situation is the next. There are 23 countries classified. Some countries need to play more matches to know if the go.

Spanish. 7 Countries classified. The most important language. Argentina and Uruguay won several times the World Cup. Spain won last European Cup. Spain, Argentina (if they change the coach) and Brazil are the favorites to win the next World cup.

English. 5 countries classified

German. 2 countries classified

Korean. 2 countries classified

Portuguese. 1-2 countries classified

French. 1-2 countries classified

Italian. 1 country classified.
Guest   Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:41 pm GMT
Italian. 1 country classified.

What about Vatican city and San Marino's teams?.
uruvulum   Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:16 pm GMT
<<What about Vatican city and San Marino's teams?. >>

Wouldn't the Vatican team speak Latin, rather than italian?